Question about sleep EZ mattress cover

Hello, everyone. I am wondering whether anyone has recently bought a natural/organic latex mattress from Sleep EZ. May I know whether you have noticed any synthetic materials used to make the cover ? The one I bought with a label indicating only wool and cotton are used in the cover. However, the material on the inside part of the cover which is along the side of the mattress looks pretty white and feels hard. May I know whether anyone has knowledge about what it is? Thanks.

Hi pimpernel,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!

You’re going to have to be a bit more specific. Which mattress model did you purchase? Was it the Natural Line or the Organic Line? They offer different covers. If you could provide a photo of the law tag of the cover and the material to which you’re referencing it could better assist me in answering your question.

Thanks!

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix. I really appreciate your reply. I have attached the pictures of the tag, and the materials that I have question about to my questions above. The second picture shows the place of the material (with an arrow) and the third picture shows a closer look of the material. Thanks.

Hi pimpernel,

Thanks for the photos - those were very helpful. I do see what you’re referencing and I’m familiar with it. It’s a thin layer of natural cotton that’s used essentially as backing for the border material.

Thanks!

Phoenix

Thanks for your reply, Phoenix. It is great to know that material is cotton, since it feels like the synthetic material usually used at the back of the waterproof mattress protector. May I know why the cotton that is used as backing feels so hard? Is there anything added to it? Thanks.

Hi pimpernel,

Cotton and synthetic materials are commonly used for backing in applications such as this. The stiffness is a result of the weave. It’s meant to be thin but non-elastic. The stitching (quilting) through the covering and (in this case) the wool also lend toward a firmness. Through repeated use, some of this “stiffness” will wear away (much like a new pair of jeans become softer with use).

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix. Your reply is really helpful. I am still a little curious why the cotton used for backing are woven with so many holes on them? Also, may I know whether it is required that the law tag of the mattress to include all the materials used to make the mattress? I have such a concern because I was told the bottom material of the mattress cover is rayon blend, however, it is not listed in the tag. So I am wondering whether there are other synthetic materials used to make the cover not disclosed in the tag.

Another question I have is about the latex itself, may I know whether it is normal for the new latex layer to have patch glued to it?

Thanks again for all your help, Phoenix.

Hi pimpernel,

Most likely the circular design is to inhibit flexing of the fabric, as it is used as a backing. Personally, I wouldn’t have a concern about minutiae such as the design of the backing used along the inside of the border panel of any mattress.

The comfort materials on the inside are required to be listed, but the outer covering of upholstered furniture, mattresses or box springs are not covered under the Textile Act labeling requirements. However, with wool being used, there are different rules for that, and it is required for manufacturers to disclose the wool (as is done on the law tag you attached). It’s actually a bit convoluted and complicated with the FTC regulations, but complete specifications are not required.

Based on the date on your law tag, you may have the non-skid bottom cover that would use a synthetic fiber, which would align with what you stated that you were previously informed. As an aside, SleepEZ recently went through a redesign of their covering, and on their organic line they now quilt to wool even on the bottom layer of their encasement. With your particular encasement, even if the entire finished mattress encasement was GOTS 5.0 certified as a finished product (which this one isn’t or wasn’t advertised as such), there can be up to 5% of non-organic certified material in the product. The rest of your encasement is using the Organic Eco-Wool and Organic cotton.

While I personally wouldn’t have such a concern, but if the inclusion of any synthetic material is a concern of yours in a mattress encasement, you’ll have a bit of a difficult time finding something that doesn’t have such an inclusion. Even something using GOTS certified materials and even being GOTS certified as a finished good can have a small percentage of synthetics and the disclosure of the specifics isn’t required, only that it has passed GOTS. So even in that particular case you’ll more than likely have some synthetic materials.

Regarding your latex question, glue seams are common as are small repairs, but if it is something that concerns you, I would phone SleepEZ directly and I’m sure they’ll be happy to assist you with that.

I know this is going down the “rabbit hole” a bit, but I tried not to get too technical and I hope that answers your questions.

Phoenix

Thanks. Phoenix. You are so knowledgeable and helpful. My concern is not whether there are any synthetic materials used in the mattress, but whether there are any potential harmful materials used that I am not aware of. So as long as you know, whether cotton, cool and rayon are the only three materials used to make the mattress cover for the natural latex mattress?

As for the glued patch, Sleep EZ says it is very common to be used in the latex layer (before it is sold). I am wondering whether it is the common practice among all the latex mattress manufacturers for a new latex mattress before it is sold? And why a new latex layer needs repairs? Thanks again for your patience to answer all my questions, Phoenix.

Hi pimpernel,

That’s different from what you stated in your earlier reply. You stated you were interested “whether there were other synthetic materials used to make the cover not disclosed in the tag”. Now it’s “whether there are potentially any harmful materials that I am not aware of”. I’ll be happy to answer your question in the spirt of inquiry (although I think I covered it well with the information I provided and linked to earlier) but I have to admit I’m a little dubious, as your “questions” seem to be taking the tone of unsubstantiated claims posed as queries with an agenda.

There is no standardization of “harmful”, just as something that is termed “toxic” is dose dependent. These would be your own personal definitions of whether something was “safe enough” for you personally and unfortunately there is little documented information that will allow consumers (or anyone for that matter) to answer that question in all cases. Natural materials like wool can cotton can be “harmful” in certain circumstances, and synthetic materials can be “safe”. It depends upon the dosage and application. Post #2 here also has more information and links that can help answer the question of “how safe is safe enough for me?” in more detail yet.

There are a wide range of materials that are called “natural” that also include a relatively small amount of synthetic materials or components. Even some “organic” mattresses can include a relatively small amount of synthetic chemicals or materials, as I mentioned in my previous reply with what is allowed even in GOTS standards.

No manufacturer includes every small detail about every layer and component in their mattresses and they would quickly go out of business if they did because they would spend all their time explaining information that is mostly meaningless and would end up confusing most of their customers who really wouldn’t have enough knowledge or experience to understand or “translate” the information that they were receiving and would often attach more importance to it than it really has.

For those customers that for personal reasons have very narrow or specific criteria that would be unimportant to most people who would purchase a specific mattress then it would make much more sense to ask these types of more specific questions on a more detailed phone conversation before making a purchase than to expect any manufacturer to include every small detail beyond what is even legally required and IMO a more detailed phone conversation is an important part of any online mattress purchase anyway.

It’s also somewhat ironic that in some cases manufacturers that try to be as transparent and honest as possible can often become a bigger target for criticism than manufacturers that don’t provide any meaningful information about their mattresses at all. As you know I am a huge advocate for transparency but there is a limit to the amount of information that a manufacturer either can or should include or that a consumer will fully understand or put into a meaningful context before it will do more harm than good.

I think I covered this question in my earlier reply about labeling requirements. I’m not aware of every single type of fiber or material used in the covering of this mattress, or any other mattress for that matter, as this level of detail isn’t provided nor required to be provided. Even on other types of fabrics in other industries where complete specifications are required by the FTC, anything less than 5% may be classified as “other materials”. If your desire is to have complete details about every single fiber or chemical, regardless of percentage, in a fabric, unfortunately you’re going to be disappointed with any clothing or textile you come across, as that level of detail to the nth degree isn’t mandated or required, nor reasonably possible to provide, and even if it was nor would the provision of such information be meaningful/understood by the vast majority of consumers, and a manufacturer wouldn’t be able to make a subjective determination of what one person might consider “harmful” versus another.

I answered this in my previous reply, and you stated you received a reply from SleepEZ on this as well, so I’m not sure why you’re asking this “question” again. Yes, repairs in latex layers are sometimes made by manufacturers.

The foam could have a defect or it could have been torn slightly in handling (latex tears quite easily). Those would be the most common reasons. Many manufacturers consider small tears up to 3" to be normal in latex. Every manufacturer is different, and I wouldn’t have a concern. But if you personally have a concern and think it will negatively impact your particular piece of latex that you say has a repair in it, I’m sure SleepEZ would replace that layer for you if requested. :wink:

Phoenix

Thanks for your reply, Phoenix. The reason I didn’t use “potential harmful” materials in my previous questions is to avoid confusing. Because just as you said, the potential harmful materials can be different to different individuals. So I think it would be better to simply ask whether there are any synthetic materials (and the major reason that most people have concerns about synthetic materials are because they think those materials are harmful to them"). And the reason I am asking this question is because I almost bought a mattress from a big-brand mattress company that contains fiberglass in the cover. And that component is not disclosed on the store’s website, I only found that out from the reviews from a different mattress review website. When I called the mattress company regarding the fiberglass in the mattress, they said the fiberglass is not harmful. If I simply ask them whether there are any harmful materials in the mattress, they would say no. So I guess using synthetic materials in the question could be better to get the answer I want to know, as I think fiberglass in the mattress cover is harmful to my family. This is just to explain why you think I am asking different questions, and I am actually asking the same question, that is, whether there are potentially harmful materials in the mattress to my family. As I am OK with cotton and wool, so my only concern is the synthetic materials such as fiberglass. And rayon and even polyester is fine to me.

As for the reason that I have asked the same the questions here as the ones that I have asked the Sleep EZ already, is that I would like to have some opinions not from the seller. Just as I said, if I have not read the reviews for the mattress containing fiberglass, that seller would not have told me. Thanks.

Hi pimpernel,

Thanks for your explanation. To be clear, SleepEZ uses absolutely no fiberglass in their product. It’s never been a claim nor an inkling of such that they do, and it would be a logical fallacy to surmise that. The focus on their line in on more natural materials (wool, cotton, latex), the same as other site members producing similar styles of products.

There were some reports I recall a while ago of a few memory foam products (the ones I remember were being sourced overseas) using some sort of a fiberglass-like material as part of their FR barrier, but this is not at all common. Inherent rayon/silica barriers, or natural wool, are what are commonly used in the industry to pass flame retardant guidelines.

With companies taking on a more “natural” emphasis with their products (such as SleepEZ as well as many others), they generally use wool to pass the federal FR regulations and you wouldn’t find them using fiberglass or a similar material in their encasements (I’m not aware of such a line that does in this “genre” of product).

As for seeking opinions from other sources (which in this case would be actual specifications), while I appreciate your trust in me and the site :slight_smile: , you’d be hard-pressed to find a company with a longer history or better track record with integrity and product knowledge than SleepEZ, although I do understand in this day and age with the multiple information channels available, for the desire for certainty and confirmation. :wink: I hope the information and links I’ve previously provide have assuaged your concerns in this particular case.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix. The information your provide and all the information I found from the forum are really useful. I really appreciate all your help. Have a nice day.

Pimpernel

Hi pimpernel,

You’re welcome.

Phoenix

Hello, I’m new to The Mattress Underground. I am considering a Sleep EZ 10" Organic Latex mattress. I see that their GOTS certificate covers Administration, Bleaching, Cutting, Finishing, Knitting, Packing, Trading, and Washing. Other online companies’ GOTS certificate may only list one or two of these. Does this mean that Sleep EZ’s cotton cover is “more organic” than other companies’? Thank you in advance for your help!

Hey geop24,

While it’s a bit detailed (probably a bit of an understatement :lol: ), here is what GOTS 5.0 covers (click here). You’ll see the completeness of the criteria that need to be met in order to be labelled as GOTS in either organic/organic-in conversion, or made with XX% organic (or organic-in conversion) materials. Additionally, to make matters a little more confusing, either a material may be GOTS certified (such as a cover used for a mattress), or a completed mattress itself may be GOTS certified (this is not as common). But there is no “partial GOTS” certification - something either meets and is approved for the standard or it doesn’t - and the product will have a corresponding GOTS certificate with a number, which some manufacturers/suppliers choose to provide/post. Some companies are more complete in “spelling out” what a GOTS certificate covers, and others simply list if the material/product is GOTS certified.

Hope that helps!

Jeff Scheuer, The Beducator
Beducation / Mattress To Go

HI geop24,

Just to add to what Jeff TMU Expert and Beducator (Thank you Jeff!) the certification you are mentioning refers to the Mattress ticking with 100% certified Cotton, The Label grade for this is “Organic” (the highest label grade GOTS has for their certifications)

For your reference and if you are interested in finding what other products that are GOTS certified from other companies cover you can always check on GOTS public database here

I hope this helps.

Phoenix