Question for people who initially found their latex mattress uncomfortable or made their back ache

Everyone will be different, but I too was worried about this. You can read about my experience here. I think that my overall impression is that latex is a bit more “fiddly” to find your perfect configuration. But now that I’m finding mine I’m really happy. I think the fiddly nature is because it is more immediately apparent if what you have isn’t perfect for you. With innerspring/pillowtops I think it is easier to feel immediately comfortable because they all feel kind of the same at first - fairly overstuffed with fluff. And maybe you find out that it isn’t quite right for you after your exhange/return period has expired. My old innerspring pillowtop was built when they were still made well. I got 15 years of very comfortable use out of it. When I started looking for a replacement and found this forum, I learned that many innerspring mattresses are not made as well anymore. I checked out the local manufacturers who still build quality innersprings, but none of them were quite right for me. If I had found a perfect match, I would have gone with it. But since I didn’t find my ideal fit, I decided to give latex a try since it is so configurable. I’m very glad I did. I think that even if you adapt slowly to latex, the generous 90 day return policy of the better online vendors means that if you don’t adapt, you’ll know it before your return period expires. I’ve had mine for less than 2 weeks, and while I’m still working on the fine tuning, I’m confident it is going to work for me. And not just work - but likely be able to be tuned to be perfect for me!