Question for Phoenix (futons)

Hello. Do you have ever sleep in a traditional japanese futon like this and what is your experience.

https://www.amazon.com/J-Life-Japanese-Traditional-Shiki-Futon/dp/B00B2QI6R0/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1420658674&sr=8-16&keywords=japanese+futon

And what are your thoughts in regards using a 100% natural latex topper (a thin one just for comfort) on top of a traditional japanese futon.

Thank you.

Hi jovan,

I’ve slept on a cotton futon for several years in my younger days (when it was all I could afford :)) and it was “OK” at the time but it would be much too firm for my personal preferences now. Of course this is only my own preferences and there may be others that prefer it over other types of sleeping surfaces. Cotton will also become firmer over time as it compresses unlike foam materials which will become softer under the heavier parts of the body particularly. Cotton is also much less resilient than either foam materials or innersprings.

There is more about futons in general in post #2 here and there are also some areas of the world where these types of sleeping surfaces are more popular but they also involve more maintenance than a regular mattress (see post #2 here).

If the topper/futon combination is suitable for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and you prefer the “feel” of latex over other types of materials then it could certainly be a good choice and combination of materials. There is more about choosing a topper that can help you use your own sleeping experience as a guideline for the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that would be the best match for you in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to.

Phoenix