Question on Tempurpedic Contour Elite

Hi Smytrous,

Tempurpedic isn’t transparent about the quality/density of the materials in their mattresses and no longer disclose any information about the density of their materials. There is some information in post #2 here about the “possible” specs of the Cloud Luxe but it may not be accurate because I have also received some information that they may now be using lower density 1.5 lb polyfoam in their support core.

I don’t keep records of mattresses based on specs so I don’t know of another mattress that would have exactly the same specs off the top of my head (either CertiPur or otherwise). If you did find a mattress that uses the same thickness and density of all the foam layers but the foams were made by a different manufacturer or had different firmness levels or other properties then the two mattresses could still feel very different even though the densities and layer thicknesses were the same. There is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another one in post #9 here.

There is also a link to a list of some of the better online memory foam options I’m aware of in the tutorial post (in the optional online step) and off the top of my head I believe that both Christeli and Select Foam (both of which use CertiPUR certified foams but aren’t CertiPUR certified themselves) make a mattress that “approximates” the Contour Elite but aren’t an exact match based on specs. Out of the two Select foam is probably the closest in terms of specs because they use a combination of 7 lb and 5.3 lb memory foams but again this has little to do with how the mattress will feel.

Phoenix

NOTE ADDED: Because of ongoing customer service issues and delays Select Foam’s membership has been terminated and I would read the warning here before considering them.