question re latex/hybrid mattresses

I am 5’7", about 145 lbs. I have a tender ear, and sometimes sleep on my side/stomach (about 30 degrees) with pillow partially supporting my chest & stomach, and with my head and tender ear directly on the mattress. I am looking for a 12" latex or hybrid mattress with a soft top 1-1.5" to cushion the tender ear. The 12" requirement is because my wife has a 12" thick mattress, and we use side by side twin x-long mattresses in a king platform frame. She already has a mattress that she loves. My research suggests the Dreamfoam Eurotop latex, the Brooklyn Bedding Bamboo Bliss, and the 12" Flobed may fit my requirements. Any thoughts on which of the 3 listed, or any not listed, would fit these requirements?

Hi dmdav,

Hopefully you’ve read the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choice.

Post #2 here has more about some of the pros and cons of a latex hybrid vs an all latex mattress.

I would also make sure that the mattress also matches your other needs and preferences in terms of PPP as well. A comfort layer that thin may be on the firm side for most people if it was over firmer support layers (unless they were stomach sleepers) but it would also depend on the specifics of the layering and mattress design because the firmness/softness of the layers under the top 1" - 1.5" will have a significant effect on how the mattress feels and how good a match it will be for you.

All of these are good options and good quality/value choices and if your only requirements were 1" - 1.5" of soft latex on top and 12" thick they would all meet your requirements but they are also quite different and I would spend some time on the phone with each of them to help you decide if they fit all the other criteria that are most important to you (besides just the few that you mentioned because PPP is just as important). When you are down to final choices between “good and good” and there are no clear winners then which one is best for you would depend on all the objective, subjective, and even intangible criteria that are the most important parts of your personal value equation.

Phoenix