Question regarding durability of HD foam and reflex foam

Hi,

Thank you for all the helpful information on this website! I have spent the last few weeks trying to educate myself before buying a new mattress. Over the previous 20 years I have purchased 3 overpriced, very disappointing name brand mattresses from department stores. I have a limited budget for this mattress, but I am still hoping to get one that is comfortable and durable.

I have narrowed it down to two options. The first mattress has gotten great reviews on Amazon and it is only $549 for a queen size mattress. It is built in Phoenix by a small manufacturer. I talked to someone with the company on the phone, he was helpful and seemed knowledgeable. Realistically this is about what I should be spending right now. But if it’s only going to last a couple of years it’s not worth it. If it would be structurally sound enough to add a latex matress topper to down the road to extend the life of the mattress, that would ease my mind some. I was hoping you could tell me what you think of the durability of the HD foam and the “soft reflex foam” in this mattress? I haven’t been able to find any information about reflex foam so far.

Here is the description from the website:
“Queen 10” Ultra Plush Latex Mattress with Bamboo Cover. After purchase every customer will be contacted by customer support via email to discuss a firmness level on your mattress. Every mattress is made to order, it is tough buying a mattress online and with this option you can have a firm, medium firmness or soft mattress custom made for you. 3 inches of Talalay Latex foam instantly conforms to each unique contour of your body for exceptional, orthopedic support and pressure relief. 5.5 inch 2.35 pound high density convoluted base foam for increased air flow and conformability.Quilted Bamboo cover contains 100% biodegradable bamboo fibers with 1.5 inches of super soft reflex foam. Softer than cotton but with four times the moisture absorbency of cotton for a drier, cooler more comfortable sleep."

My second option is purchasing an all Talalay mattress from a different manufaturer in Phoenix. I think it’s currently about $1550 for the mattress including shipping. This is the best price I have found online. It has two Layers of 100% natural Talalay latex - a 6" core with a 2" comfort layer. This is more than I should spend right now - but - if the first option is a throw away bed then I would rather endure the financial pain now than be looking to buy another mattress in 2 years.

Any advice and insight you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I need to make a decision, but given that all my previous mattress purchases have been so disappointing I would really like to not throw my money away this time.

Thanks for any help!
Kerri

Hi Kerri,

I think that both of your choices would be good ones and would provide great value and quality for their respective price range. I am familiar with both manufacturers and think highly of both of them.

You will find some comments about the Amazon product (made by Brooklyn Bedding) in post #2 here. This would be a good choice in a “budget” latex mattress and should certainly last much more than a couple of years. Because it has 3" of soft latex and 1.5" of soft polyfoam on top … this would not be a suitable mattress to add toppers down the road. Toppers can help make a firm mattress softer but a mattress that is or becomes too soft is very difficult to make firmer and too much “soft stuff” on top creates potential alignment and back issues.

Assuming you are talking about mattresses.net with your all latex option, they are manufacturer members of this site which means that I consider them to be among the best manufacturers in North America in terms of quality, value, and service. They also have a lower priced blended talalay option than the all natural talalay you were looking at. If you do choose to make a purchase there … make sure you let them know you are a member here as you are entitled to a 5% discount with any mattress purchase at any of our members.

Phoenix