Question regarding pure latex bliss mattress

Hi Phoenix:

I have used the excellent information on this site to successfully construct three latex mattresses. The information that you provide is dead on and I greatly appreciate it. Recently I needed to purchase a mattress rather quickly. Following the usual research, I chose a Pure Latex Bliss mattress, the prestige line, the Etoile Pelushe. As you’re probably aware, the Etoile comes as a Pelusche model and a Luxury model. The plushness ratings on the mattress are 9 and 7 respectively. I have attempted to contact Pure Latex Bliss/latex international to determine how the ILD of the latex layers in the comfort layer differ amongst these models. They have not responded; perhaps you know?

The mattress is probably the most comfortable I have ever had. The quilted latex top really makes a difference in the feel of the mattress. Normally I would’ve chosen a less plush mattress, since I am a pure back sleeper: however the luxury model was not available . I went with the Pelusche because the support rely felt superior.

Afetr one month I now awake with significant low back pain. I am going to assume that the problem is my buttock is sinking a bit too far into the mattress. I have unsuccessfully tried to compensate with a leg holster. I really like the Etoile model and can switch to the less plush Luxury model. My question to you , based upon your significant experience with these products: do you think a Pure Latex Bliss mattress with a plushness level of 7, would be appropriate for a pure a back sleeper to alleviate back pain or would an even lower plushness level be better?

I am 5’ 10" , 175lbs, with an athletic built.
Thanks

Robert

Hi Rob,

As far as I know (and I believe these are reliable), the specs of these mattresses are as follows (from top to bottom) …

Etoile Pelushe:

Super stretch Moet fabric quilted to 3/4" of 19 ILD Talalay
4" Graphite Talalay 14 ILD
6" Graphite Talalay 32 ILD

Etoile Luxury:

Super stretch Moet fabric quilted to 3/4" of 19 ILD Talalay
4" Graphite Talalay 24 ILD

[quote]Afetr one month I now awake with significant low back pain. I am going to assume that the problem is my buttock is sinking a bit too far into the mattress. I have unsuccessfully tried to compensate with a leg holster. I really like the Etoile model and can switch to the less plush Luxury model. My question to you , based upon your significant experience with these products: do you think a Pure Latex Bliss mattress with a plushness level of 7, would be appropriate for a pure a back sleeper to alleviate back pain or would an even lower plushness level be better?

I am 5’ 10" , 175lbs, with an athletic built.[/quote]

Unfortunately I can’t feel what you feel and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for me to know which mattress would be the best match for someone else based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or theory at a distance (se mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). Having said that … it doesn’t surprise me that 4" of 14 ILD with an additional 3/4" of quilted 19 ILD latex would be too thick/soft for you (or for many back sleepers). The Etoile Luxury would certainly be an improvement but I don’t know if it would be “enough” of an improvement for you.

Phoenix

PS: Just for the sake of others that are interested … the specs of the other mattresses in the Prestige line are as follows …

St Honore Luxury:

Super stretch Moet fabric quilted to 3/4" 19ILD Talalay
2" Graphite Talalay 28 ILD

St Honore Pelushe Supplementaire:

Super stretch Moet fabric quilted to 3/4" 19ILD Talalay
2" Graphite Talalay 14 ILD

Hi Phoenix

Thank you for your prompt reply and the specs. I think that the Luxury model will also be to soft. Do you happen to know the specs for the Nature model in their Ultimate collection?
Thanks
Rob

Hi Phoenix:

As I mentioned previously, I have constructed several latex mattresses. I have used two separate bedding manufacturers in the south Florida area. I found it difficult to work with these manufacturers, and the components that were used were initially questionable despite me being very specific.

I will have to exchange the Etoile Pelushe at Mattress Experts but i don’t think that any of the mattresses in the Ultimate collection would be appropriate for a pure back sleeper. If you feel differently please let me know.

If I were to construct a mattress that had a similar feel to be the Etoile would you think super stretch Moet fabric quilted to 3/4 inches of 19 ild talalay, over 2 inches of graphite talalay 28 ild, over 6 inches of graphite talalay 32 ild would be an optimum set up for a purely back sleeper? Would this provide appropriate comfort and the level of support to avoid low back pain?

Do you think the comfort layer should be greater than 2 inches?

I know that you don’t recommend specific manufacturers , however are there any mail order retailers that could construct this bed?

Could I just special order this from latex international?

Sorry for all the questions but I’d like to get this right finally!

Thanks again.

Rob

Hi Rob,

The specs for the Nature are listed in post #2 here.

There is no way for me to know whether any mattress would be suitable for a particular person based on specs (either theirs or a mattress) or theory because there are too many unknowns and variables involved that are unique to each person but I think that the Pamper, the Nature, and the Nutrition could all work well for “some” back sleepers (although not others) while the Beautiful or the WBB would be more risky choices (although they may also work for some because real life is often very different from “theory”).

There is no such thing as an “optimum set up” in general and again … there are too many unknowns and variables for me to know what an optimum set up would be for you until you have tried it. All I can reliably tell you based on your feedback and the reference points that you’ve provided is that the Etoile Pelushe clearly has comfort layers that are too thick and soft for you and that you would likely do better with thinner/firmer comfort layers.

I don’t know of any online manufacturers or suppliers that are using or sell the Graphite Talalay in individual layers and I also don’t know of any that have a stretch knit cover that is quilted with Talalay latex so the closest you could come would probably be to buy LI blended Talalay layers in the same thickness and firmness levels (KTT and Sleep Like a Bear both supply LI layers in all the firmness levels they have available), add an additional 1" of either 19 or 24 ILD blended Talalay on top (to “approximate” the quilted cover) and then put these inside a tight fitting stretch knit cover from one of the suppliers in the component list here (or in post #4 here).

No … they don’t sell to consumers … only manufacturers.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix:
Thank you again for your prompt response. I greatly appreciate your tips on the mattress construction and online manufacturers

I took the opportunity to sample the Pamper, Nature and Nutrition mattresses today. I also read your posts regarding the specs of their construction
The Pamper seemed to accentuate the curve in the lumbar region of my back; it was easy to place my hand between my back and the mattress.

The Nature had a feeling very reminiscent to the Etoile. Very comfortable, but I felt as though my buttock sank in a bit too far. I am convinced that this phenomenon is contributing to my lower back pain while sleeping; therefore I am a bit fearful of this mattress.

The PPP of the Nutrition actually felt the best. The comfort and support levels felt fine after a brief test. I am aware of the dominant layering effect of this mattress. I am somewhat concerned that the 3 inches of 27 ild comprising the superficial comfort layter may be too thick for a pure back sleeper. Based upon the fact that I am a pure back sleeper, and the information above, do you think this would be the best choice.

I chose not to exchange my mattress today; I was really interested in your input.

I also explored the possibility of adding a mobile foundation to the mattress that would allow elevation of the feet and upper trunk.
Are you a proponent of a mobile foundation?

Thanks again
Rob

Hi Rob,

Your own careful and objective testing would be a much more reliable way to tell whether any mattress was a good match for you or which one was the “best choice” in terms of PPP than any “theory at a distance”. I really can’t feel what you feel or see you lying or sleeping on the mattress :slight_smile:

The 27 ILD top layer in the Nutrition is 3" thick so it would be more than a “superficial” top layer and the softer foam below it would be compressing much less than it would if it was in the top layer. There is more about dominant layering in post #33 here and the posts it links to.

It’s not too surprising that the Pamper was a little too firm for you and that the comfort layers weren’t thick enough to “fill in” the recessed gaps in your sleeping profile since it only has 2" of softer latex on top over a firmer 40 ILD support core and for many people this wouldn’t be thick enough to provide enough good secondary support. There is more about primary support, secondary support, and their relationship to pressure relief in post #4 here and the posts it links to.

I’m guessing you mean an adjustable foundation and you can read my thoughts about them in post #3 here and the adjustable bed thread that it links to which also have more information about the various options and choices that are available and some sources that you can use to make pricing comparisons if you choose to go in this direction.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix:
Thanks again.
I will let you know how it turns out.
Rob

Hi Phoenix:

I am interested in making a 1 inch latex topper for my current PureLatex Bliss Nutrition mattress.
I would like latex international latex and a cover similar to that found on my current mattress. Sleep like a bear and KTT have the one inch latex but not a similar cover. I realize that 1 inch pieces of latex are difficult to find, however could you recommend some online retailers that might be able to help me?
Thank you
Rob

Hi Rob,

The two retailers you mentioned are the only ones that I know of that sell LI toppers in 1" thicknesses.

There are some sources for knit mattress covers here that you could call to find out which ones would have a 1" knit topper cover available that would be suitable (I know that SLAB has two stretch knit topper covers that are 1" thick).

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix:

Thank you very much for this information.
I greatly appreciate it.
Rob