Question regarding the Quality of the FIN14 Mattress

Hey Phoenix,

I’ve been browsing your mattress forum for quite a while and am about to move to a new home where I will need a new mattress. I’ve recently come across this new mattress and it looks like a great value:

https://www.whatsintoday.com/get-my-fin/the-fin14

Price: $899 (Queen)
Top Layer: Cotton Stretch Cover
Comfort Layer: 2" Medium Firm Latex (OEKO-TEX® Standard 100 Certified), 3" 4lb Gel-Infused Memory Foam (Certi-Pur certified)
Support Layer: 9" 1.8lb high-density support foam (Certi-Pur certified)

I’m looking to spend less than $1000 for a latex/foam combo. I’ve been consider the BME as well as the DreamFoam mattresses. However, this new mattress came up and I was wondering if you could give me some opinion on what you thought of it, especially compared with the BME and Dreamfoam mattresses in terms of quality of material. Thanks!

Hi azetab,

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While I can’t speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”) the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

You can see some comments about 11" version of the Finbed mattress in this topic and my comments about the 14" version would be the same since it uses the same materials.

There are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that would be a reason for concern in terms of durability relative to most weight ranges although I would be cautious if you are in a higher weight range (more than the lower 200’s or so) because of the 4 lb memory foam and the 1.8 lb base layer.

The BME uses a 2" layer of blended Talalay latex over a 2" layer of synthetic continuous pour latex on top of a 6" 2.0 lb polyfoam base layer so it uses a little higher quality and more durable materials that would be suitable for any weight range.

Dreamfoam makes many mattresses so I would need to know which one you are comparing it to to make any meaningful comments.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=61614]Hi azetab,

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While I can’t speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”) the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

You can see some comments about 11" version of the Finbed mattress in this topic and my comments about the 14" version would be the same since it uses the same materials.

There are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that would be a reason for concern in terms of durability relative to most weight ranges although I would be cautious if you are in a higher weight range (more than the lower 200’s or so) because of the 4 lb memory foam and the 1.8 lb base layer.

The BME uses a 2" layer of blended Talalay latex over a 2" layer of synthetic continuous pour latex on top of a 6" 2.0 lb polyfoam base layer so it uses a little higher quality and more durable materials that would be suitable for any weight range.

Dreamfoam makes many mattresses so I would need to know which one you are comparing it to to make any meaningful comments.

Phoenix[/quote]

Thanks Phoenix.

The DreamFoam I was comparing with the BME is this one: Dream Foam - Dream Foam

Also, I contacted the company and they told me that the top latex layer is made with continuous-pour Dunlop sourced in the USA. I’m not sure if this changes the value of it.

Jeff

Hi azetab,

The Ultimate Dreams Eurotop has a 1.5 lb polyfoam quilting layer and then 3" of blended Talalay latex and a 2 lb polyfoam base layer so there are also no lower quality materials or weak links in this mattress that would be a reason for concern in any weight range either.

Post #2 here has more information about how the Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams Eurotop and the Brooklyn Bedding BestMattressEver compare and may also be helpful.

The choice between different types and blends of latex would be more of a preference and budget choice than a better/worse choice. Any type or blend of latex is a high quality and durable material and wouldn’t be a weak link in a mattress but in general terms latex that includes a higher percentage of natural rubber would be more costly than latex that includes a higher percentage of synthetic rubber. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

The most important parts of the “value” of a mattress (in order of importance) are ,

1. How well you will sleep on it (suitability)

2. How long you will sleep well (durability)

3. How it compares to the other mattresses you are considering based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you

Phoenix