Question regarding this bedframe for a Latex mattress (BBE)

I found this bed locally, and am wondering if it is a good one to use with a latex mattress, the Brooklyn Best Bed ever. It has the boxes on the side that part of the mattress sits on, then strong boards very close together underneath the mattress. Would it be a good one to use?

Thanks!

Hi epicsmash78,

It would be helpful if you could provide a picture that shows the specifics to clarify how it is designed and constructed.

In the meantime … there is more information about support systems (bedframes and foundations or platform beds) that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses and some sources for each of them in post #1 here and the information and comments in this topic should be helpful as well.

Phoenix

Haha, my bad! I posted a link, but it must not have worked.

This is the bed: Bed Bath & Beyond | The Best Deals Online: Furniture, Bedding, Rugs, Kitchen Essentials & Moree

Hi epicsmash78,

I don’t see a picture in the link that shows the support surface that the mattress would be resting on.

A mattress with a polyfoam support core will generally do best with a firm, flat, and evenly supportive support surface underneath it that has minimal to no flex under the mattress and for larger sizes with at least one center support beam that has good support to the floor to prevent any sagging in the middle of the mattress. The components need to be strong and durable enough to support the weight of the mattress and the people sleeping on it without some of the parts bending, sagging, or breaking over time. The support surface under the mattress should have enough surface area to prevent the mattress from sagging through any gaps or spaces in the support surface over time but still allow some airflow under the mattress. I would suggest that the gaps between the slats are no more than about 5" (with 1 x 3 slats) although less than 4" would be better yet.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, thanks for the response!

There are sturdy boards that support the mattress all the way across. There are no space in between the boards though, so it is basically one solid surface. Is that recommended, or would it be better to have a couple inches of room in between the boards? Thanks!

Hi epicsmash78,

A solid surface support system that doesn’t provide any ventilation underneath the mattress can add to the risks of moisture retention and developing mold or mildew in the mattress but if there aren’t any additional risk factors in your environment then it should be fine (see post #10 here).

Phoenix