Question regarding two adjustable bed competitors, and also question on latex vs memory foam

Hello,

I have a few questions in regards to mattress materials as well as adjustable beds. I have read resources on this website as well as various others for information and was just hoping you could offer a little extra insight, as you seem EXTREMELY knowledgeable in all facets of this area.

First, the easier question I have is in regards to adjustable bases, I have narrowed my choice down to L&P and Reverie. I have called both manufacturers for info etc, as well as spoke to a few retailers. I am trying to determine between Reverie 7s and 8q model, leaning toward 8q, and in terms of L&P I like the P-132 and Prodigy models.

That being said, I spoke to one gentleman who sold only L&P line and stood by the build quality of L&P and described Reverie as a cheap brand in terms of construction (mainly mentioned worse parts being used) and also talked about the inconvenience of the 4 steel casters on all corners of bed. In addition to that, he told me L&P is a reputable brand whereas Reverie only has one niche to stand on, and because of this it may become hard if not impossible at some point to get replacement parts. In your opinion, is there a distinct advantage to one brand over another? Also, if you could speak to build quality and functionality? Lastly, in your opinion, between the models I listed, does one give the edge in terms of noise (for massage function) and the prevalence or ability to feel the massage taking place (some reviews I read have said massage is not all that noticeable while others stand by it.)

My other question related to mattress, I was trying to determine between latex and memory foam mattresses and don’t really know which way to go in this area, I have demoed a few and am thing memory foam is the way to go. Any thoughts on the comparison of the two? I like a less-fim mattress, however good support, and had my eye on this one: https://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Innovations-SureTemp-Mattress-Warranty/dp/B003CT37L0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1420504813&sr=8-4&keywords=queen+memory+foam+mattress

Any help you can offer would be very much appreciated as I make this purchase, I hope this isnt too much information to ask at once .

Thanks again.

Hi BEBEARD,

It’s been a few years since I purchased my adjustable bed and I haven’t looked closely at all the features of either the 7s or the 8q but there is more information in post #3 here and the adjustable bed thread here that it links to that can help you make comparisons between different adjustable beds and also includes some retailers that you can use as sources of information and pricing references.

No … I would I would treat an adjustable bed as more of a “commodity” purchase based on “price per features” comparisons and I would consider all of the main manufacturers to be closely comparable in terms of reliability and build quality. They all perform similar functions so the features that are important to you and the price would be the primary basis for my choice.

When I tested them the massage in the Reverie was slightly stronger (but that was the models that were available 4 years ago) but all of them were fairly noisy (and even more so if you have them on a non carpeted floor so we put rubber casters underneath the legs in ours which helps a bit). The massage itself is more of a “vibration” and it certainly can be felt through the mattress although thicker mattresses would lessen the effect. I wouldn’t actually call it a massage as much as a “vibration” although there are also different settings that change its strength and pattern. It’s quite pleasant but it’s not the same as a real life massage or even one of the massage chairs that have a more “kneading” feel to them.You can see some comments about the massage function in posts #5 and #6 here.

Hopefully some of the other members that have purchased an adjustable bed recently will see your post and share their comments about the adjustable they purchased as well.

Latex and memory foam mattresses both have a very wide range of designs and firmness levels so both categories may include many mattresses that you like and many that you don’t depending on the specific designs and type of memory foam or latex that they use but post #2 here and the links it includes has more about the pros and cons of each of them.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for your time in answering my questions. I reviewed the threads you have linked as well. In terms of mattress question I am fairly confident I would be best suited for memory foam based on everything I have read as it tends to mold more to me and offer a sinking feeling. Also, I wouldnt mind the hotter sleeping aspect of memory foam as I tend to sleep hot anyways. My only question would then be off-gassing, which I will look at over the weekend as well and make a determination for mattress hopefully saturday or sunday.

In terms of adjustable bed, since I am between these two competitors, I lean toward the Reverie line specifically, the models had everything I need minus the “frills” that l&p seem to offer (one being USB port) as most seem to be redundant to current technology and the models are essentially double the price. Also, based on my research customer satisfaction ranked higher for the former as well.

My only concern with Reverie would again be two-fold:

1. How important/ frequently would one need to shop for replacement parts, I imagine not often, but the impression I received for my conversation the other day led me otherwise (again per your post, with build quality being generally the same I imagine not to worry too much here)

2, With the four prong posts for the mattress on Reverie beds, does this prove problematic when making a bed? (again I didnt think of this until the conversation with the gentleman on the phone, however I also received differing info as well from other sources)

Also, I do have two follow up questions:

1. Should I be able to contact Reverie directly so see if a mattress will work with the Adj.?

2. Is it unheard of to buy direct from Reverie (absent their mattress?) The salesman I spoke with made it seem as though it was a package deal (mattress and adj). If I am able to buy direct for similar price as retail would this be advisable due to warranty?

All in all I am inclined to believe Reverie is my answer, I just would like someone else to share a positive experience so I can have some reassurance before purchase.

I am hoping to make my purchase by this Friday as I am sorely in need of a mattress (pun intended)

Thank you again.

Hi BEBEARD,

While most memory foam will have some initial small … it will generally fade away to levels that most people won’t notice inside the first few days or weeks and if the memory foam is CertiPUR certified (or made by a North American manufacturer) then you would have some assurance that the memory foam doesn’t have any harmful substances or VOC’s (see post #6 here).

Most of the major manufacturers of adjustable beds are very reliable and it would be a minority of people that would experience a defective bed or need to replace a part. If if becomes necessary then I don’t know of any issues with any of them that wouldn’t be able to supply a part within the warranty period.

I don’t have any personal experience with this and my adjustable has the retainer bar in the middle (see here) but I am very tall and sometimes come into contact with the retainer bar on the mattress (although it’s not a major issue). It also does get in the way somewhat when we make the bed so if I had a choice I would personally choose the ones that are in the corner but I thought I’d ask my other half who makes the bed much more than I do and she said she would probably prefer the middle retainer because she thinks it would be easier to make and that she could “bump against” the corner retainers if she was cutting corners moving around the mattress. So you have a couple of additional “differing opinions” to add to your collection from this end as well :slight_smile:

You could ask them of course but I wouldn’t expect them to know the all the specifics of mattresses that are made by other manufacturers so they could probably give you some “generic” answers but I would consider the manufacturer of a mattress (or a knowledgeable retailer that sells it) to be a much more reliable source of information about whether any specific mattress they sell works well with an adjustable bed (or whether using it on an adjustable bed would meet the warranty criteria for the mattress).

They sell their mattresses individually or as a set with their adjustable beds but they don’t sell their adjustable beds individually … only through retailers (see here).

Phoenix