Questions about building a latex mattress

Hi, I’m looking for advice on building a latex mattress. My situation is as follows.
I’m 5’9" 140 pounds and a side sleeper. I’ve tried several latex and memory foam mattresses locally and have found all of them too firm - I didn’t sink into any of them. I’ve also tried lying down on some talalay latex pillows (on top of a firm innerspring mattress) I have at home with mixed results.
I’ve found them comfortable from my knees down but too funny/compressed for my hips. My plan is to purchase one layer at a time and experiment by folding them over to simulate thicker layers.
How would a polyfoam support core compare to a latex one for me?
What is the lowest dunlop ILD you would recommend for a support core?
Do you know the ILD of generic latex pillows? I purchased mine at Bed Bath & Beyond.
Is it possible for me to determine whether a support core is right for me without the comfort layer or do I have to test the completed mattress?
If I purchase a 1 or 2 inch layer can I fold it over several times to simulate and test a thicker layer? Can I purchase a 2 inch full layer then fold it into a 25"x54"x6" layer to try before purchasing additional layers?
Are there any downsides to building a matress out of 1 or 2 inch layers as opposed to 3 inch layers?
Which online retailers would you recommend for the latex layers?
Thanks.

Hi orangefm,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

If you are attracted to the idea of designing and building your own DIY mattress out of separate components that are purchased from one or several different sources then the first place I would start is by reading option 3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to (and option #1 and #2 as well) so that you have more realistic expectations and that you are comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process. While it can certainly be a rewarding project … the best approach to a DIY mattress is a “spirit of adventure” where what you learn and the satisfaction that comes from the process itself is more important than any cost savings you may realize (which may or may not happen).

There is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel” that may be useful as well.

For those who decide to take on the challenge then I would either use the specs (if they are available) of a mattress that you have tested and confirmed is a good match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP as a reference point or blueprint and try and “match” every layer and component in your reference mattress as closely as possible or alternatively use a “bottom up” approach (see post #2 here). Aside from that, I would use the advice of an experienced latex mattress manufacturer or component supplier who has experience building such products, as they can advise you on configurations that tend to work well for what you are attempting to accomplish.

A latex support core is more durable, more resilient, more elastic, more adaptable to different weights and shapes and sleeping positions, more supportive (it has a higher compression modulus so it gets firmer faster with compression), more “natural”, and has a different more “springy” and responsive feel than polyfoam. It is a higher performance material. Of course it is also more expensive than a polyfoam core and for some people … a latex hybrid which has the benefits and “feel” of latex in the upper layers (the top 3" - 6" which are the most subject to wear and tear and contribute more to the overall “feel” of a mattress) is worth the cost tradeoff. For others it isn’t.

There isn’t a specific “minimum” I’d recommend, as it all depends upon the individual using the mattress and the overall design (all layers of a mattress work together). I’d say it’s common to see anywhere from 28-40+ across the industry for Dunlop base layers.

No, but they tend to be quite plush. For Talalay I’ve seen estimates around 10 ILD (of course this varies by model), but ILD can’t be measured in the same manner for a pillow as a latex core.

Again this would be variable to the individual and the overall construction. As I mentioned earlier, I’d advise copying something that you’ve already tested and liked, or seek the advice of a knowledgeable manufacturer. But I do recommend a “bottom up” approach, making sure that whatever you choose falls into the general range of firmness that I mentioned earlier.

I don’t know that you’d be able to get three folds to be accurate, as it would be a narrow piece with quite a bit of compression where it is folded, but two folds certainly could be representative. You’d have to test out the three folds to see how that holds shape, as you’d want the areas your testing to not be compressed at all for a reliable indication.

Multiple layers would have more options for fine tuning though both before and after a purchase because for example a support core with a medium over firm layer would be a little firmer than a medium layer and a little softer than a firm layer (closer to the medium) and you would also have the option to rearrange the layers to firm over medium which would still be in between a medium and firm 6" layer but closer to the firm. You could also use the softer top layer in the middle to create a firmer feel compared to having the soft on top. The main advantage of having more layers in other words is that for those who need it can provide more options to customize the layer combinations either before a purchase or by rearranging or exchanging layers after a purchase. While this is attractive to some people … it can also add some complexity that may not be necessary or may not justify any extra costs involved in having more layers for others.

You could look online and a good place to start is by using the experience and expertise of the members listed in post #21 here who are all very experienced and knowledgeable and specialize in providing the type of help and guidance on the phone that can help you make good choices. There are a wide range of latex options included in the choices there with experience in component-style systems and I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

Phoenix