Questions about Dreamfoam, Ikea Mattresses and Frames, Addable

Hello!
I first want to thank you for the plethora of great information on this website. I appreciate your expertise and helping people to make informed decisions without telling them how to decide.

Are you ready? This is long…(Thank you in advance)

I recently purchased (prior to finding this website) a Dreamfoam Bedding Arctic Dreams 8" King Size for my wife and I. While it is very comfortable compared to what we were sleeping on ( a 9 year old cheap $300 queen sized spring mattress) we will be returning it because it seems “misshapen” when we lay on it whether it is on the floor or on a suitable bedframe. We are on a tight budget which is why I only bought a $300 king mattress!

I like Dreamfoam as a company and would consider getting a replacement in either 10" or 8 “-I am hesitant due to the shape issue and concerned about longevity given that I have a higher BMI of 32 and the foam base of the Arctic Dreams lineup is convoluted and only 1.5 lbs/cuft.
Is my hesitancy warranted? I ask because via chat they said for example a 10” Arctic Dreams should be fine for be even if I were 250lbs (I am only 220 and going down).

That leads me to Ikea. I have been reading through this website alot over the past few days about the durability of materials and “weak links” of certain mattresses. It is somewhat difficult to find information about what materials Ikea is using on certain mattresses so I am hoping you have some information on that. I did read the older posts and look at the cutaway photos of the Ikea mattresses but am trying to find out more about the specs and check on those “weak links”.

In consideration are the following mattresses from Ikea (they are roll packed and I would have to go and drive them home if I went this route)

Morgedal
Matrand Latex

The Morgedal MORGEDAL Foam mattress, medium firm, dark gray, Queen - IKEA
Says it has 2.2 lbs/cuft polyurethane foam on “Part 5” and and 1.7 lbs/cuft on “Part 4”. Am I correct in assuming that they are referring top to bottom?
Also, I realize 1.7 is slightly less than the 1.8 on the lbs/cuft recommendation. Is that enough to make much of a difference? What about between 1.7 compared to 2.0 lbs/cuft (for those of us with higher BMI?)
Also, do we know the difference in specs between their medium-firm and firm options?
It might make sense to stay with Dreamfoam with the 3lbs/cuft top layer foam and the 1.5lbs/cuft base…

The Matrand Latex Products - IKEA
Now I am intrigued…is the Latex still that massively thick(relatively) layer that I saw in the cutoff photos? It sounds like a superior material which would be great and it is the exact same price as the memory foam. Considering this assumed thick layer of latex, would the 1.7lb/cuft base be alright? Would having more latex lend to greater durability? Would it make any sense to put a memory foam topper over latex?

Another question: will a roughly 7" mattress be less durable due to its relative thinness even though it will inevitably be firmer than most other mattresses?

Also, I currently have a Zinus 16" Smartbase frame (https://www.zinus.com/product/16-inch-smartbase-deluxe-platform-bedmattress-foundation/) that I may return too after reading that slats might be preferable. Do you have any input about if this is necessary? Are Ikea slats and beds durable? I cannot find much information.

As a side note, I was looking into your member companies and was really intrigued by the Addable mattress since the materials seem great. However I am a bit frustrated because I cannot seem to pass their “quiz” about it that mattress would be for me or not. You mentioned in your comments about that company you would caution anyone over the low 200lbs to buy one of their mattresses ( I am 5’10" and 220 lbs). Why is that?

Well, we have made it to the end!
I really appreciate your time and input.
Thanks,
The Riddler

Hi The Riddler,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

You’re welcome and thank you for the compliment.

I’m sorry your Arctic Dreams isn’t working out well for you :frowning: . But you did have the foresight to choose a product with a good trial period.

What do you mean by “misshapen”? Do you mean it has a body impression that is excessive? The Arctic Dreams does represent one of the better values in budget-priced mattresses, but there will be tradeoffs in durability with lower density foams, especially if you are in a higher BMI.

First off, congratulations on your weight loss! :cheer:

A higher BMI presents special challenges and generally requires firmer materials (in the support layers especially). This could be firmer latex or innersprings (the type of support component would be a personal preference and in the right design either could be suitable) or even a zoned construction. The same overall guidelines apply with higher weights though that PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) along with using high quality durable materials that will maintain their feel and performance for longer periods of time are the way to make the best choices. Heavier people in general will need firmer and thicker comfort layers and firmer support layers than those who are lighter and because no materials will last as long with much higher weights the quality and durability of the materials and components is even more important than normal. I wouldn’t “rule out” any types of mattress and base your choices on your own personal testing. Post #3 here has more information and suggestions about heavier weights that is worth reading.

The key will be finding componentry that will be of appropriate quality for your specific situation, which will then give you the best chance at have a successful comfort life, so I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components. Those in a higher BMI range want to be especially prudent in the choice of their components. For those in a higher BMI range, there is more information about selecting a mattress in the durability guidelines here. Specifically, if your BMI is 30 or higher:

Higher BMI ranges will need more durable materials and components in a mattress and in a BMI range of 30 or higher I would include any 1.8 lb polyfoam or 4 lb memory foam as a “lower quality/density” material (relative to a higher BMI only) and minimize their use to a total of “about an inch or so or less” in the mattress.

Polyurethane foam: If your mattress is one sided then I would look for 2.0 lb per cubic foot density or higher. If the mattress is two sided then I would use a minimum density of 1.8 lbs per cubic foot or higher.

Memory foam (or gel memory foam): If your mattress is one sided then I would make sure that any memory foam is at least 5 lb per cubic foot. If the mattress is two sided then I would use a minimum density of 4 lbs per cubic foot.

Ideally, if you were going to stay within the Dramfoam lineup, you might wish to consider one of their other items using at least the 1.8 lb density foam base, if your budget allows.

Great job – and thank you! I probably linked again to a few of the very articles you’ve already reviewed.

I can’t tell from their descriptions, and they are notorious for being incomplete/confusing in this area. They “usually” list from top to bottom.

I can’t speak to their tolerances for their foam densities. Some manufacturers will have poly foam that on average specs out at 1.7 and rate it conservatively at 1.55 (1.5 or 1.8 are common divisions in polyfoam steps), and others will have a foam that specs out at 1.6 and round it up to the next step at 1.8. There are “buckets” that the density falls within. The higher the density, the more durable. Obviously 1.7 would be better than 1.5 but similar to 1.8, but not as good as 2.0.

No that is not listed. They may be using the same density but just changing the ILD of one of the foams.

That appears to be a thick polyfoam base with some synthetic latex on top. There are no thicknesses listed.

You can see my recommendations linked above for densities for higher BMIs. 1.7 lb would generally be more durable than 1.5 lb. Latex would generally be a more durable product than polyfoam. Placing a memory foam topper over any mattress material would be a personal comfort choice to alter the surface plushness, and there would be no reason to avoid doing this over a mattress using latex if you so desired.

In a thinner mattress, especially with a higher BMI, you’d want the highest amount of the most durable materials as possible, as people with a higher BMI generally require thicker materials in the comfort layers and support layers.

There is more information about appropriate foundations here in the foundation thread. I too would have a concern for the eventual potential for sagging of the wires on your current frame. I’d tell you to consider a stronger flat slat network versus the bowed Lonset slat system offered by Ikea.

When considering any online purchase, I always recommend a phone conversation directly with the manufacturer, as you’ll be best able to acquire the most accurate information in a timely and personalized manner. Addable, like Dreamfoam, is a member of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry and I trust the advice that they provide.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you very much for your reply!

When I say “misshapen” : We have only had the mattress for 2 weeks. The very first night we slept on the mattress (it was on top of the SmartBase I mentioned earlier) my wife mentioned that she felt like her head was lower than her hips. We just attributed this to just being in a new supportive mattress as compared to our old one.
Well, last week I laid on her side and realized what she meant: it actually feels like the center of the mattress is slightly raised up and you are being sent off the side. It messes up your equilibrium it feels like.
My side feels great actually, but when I lay in different positions on the mattress, ONLY my side feels “normal”.
I thought this might be due to the frame…however I placed the mattress on the floor and it does the exact same thing. Also, the center of the mattress feels really different from the rest of the bed…its almost like where the mattress was folded up for shipping it got messed up. I would consider returning it under a warranty issue, but I fear that it would complicate things and would rather return it under the 90 day trial for general dissatisfaction. Any recommendations with that?

By the way, does higher ILD = more durable generally speaking? I think in the chat they said the ILD of the 8" Arctic Dreams King was 12…it that high/low/good/bad?

Would placing a quality memory foam topper essentially “add” a layer to the mattress and increase durability by taking more the of wear from the top layer and adding to the thickness for my high BMI?

I understand why a higher BMI person would need a thicker mattress–we are more “dense” so we will sink more. Is there a certain thickness “minimum” you can recommend? (I realize that is REALLY hard because it depends on the materials!)

I ask because it I stuck with Dreamfoam Arctic Dreams, the 8" is rated medium firm so should be more durable but the 10" (rated medium) gives me the extra 2" for me to compress but has a slightly lower ILD ( I think 10 compared to 12).

Thanks for the link to the frame post-I will check that out.
Are any Ikea slats more rigid that you know of?

Hi The Riddler,

You’re most welcome.

Thank you for that clarification. I would contact Dreamfoam directly and explain to them the issue (it seems to be a defect but I don’t want to speak for them) and if they decide if that is the case they would most likely send you out a new model. You could also request that your trial period begin anew, as you haven’t had the mattress too long nor been able to test it out as it was designed, and hopefully they would be accommodating to your request. Their customer service is quite responsive.

ILD refers to Indentation Load Deflection, which is what we would use to gauge the “softness” of the foam. It is not an indicator of durability. That would be most closely associate with density in polyfoam (higher density is generally more durable). A 12 ILD would be plush and would refer to the high-performance Energex Gel polyfoam upper layer in the mattress, if that is indeed the correct ILD. IFD/ILD is discussed a bit in this article from the Polyurethane Foam Association.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: pfa.org/intouch/new_pdf/IntouchV1.1a.pdf

It would create a different feel overall, and would take some of the wear off of the former top layer of the mattress as the uppermost layers within a mattress are subject to the most mechanical stress. The concern would be that you still have an appropriate “comfort cradle” for your personal preference and that there is enough support for your BMI.

You are correct, it really does depend upon the materials. The thickness of a mattress is really more of a by-product of the mattress design itself. The thickness of a mattress is just a side effect of the design and by itself isn’t particularly meaningful because whether a thicker or thinner mattress would be better or worse for any particular person will depend on the specifics of the materials (type, firmness, etc.) and on all the other layers in the mattress. Thickness is only one of many specs that are used to make different mattresses that perform and feel differently and that makes a mattress suitable for one person and not another. There is more about the effect of thickness in post #14 here. Regardless of how thick or thin a mattress may be … the most important part of the “value” of a mattress is how suitable it is “as a whole” for your particular body type, sleeping positions, and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) regardless of how thick it may be.

The main benefit of a thicker latex mattress (or any mattress that uses similar materials) is that it can be more adaptable for heavier weights and multiple sleeping positions. It will compress from softer to firmer more gradually which means that there is more “range” of compression without the mattress becoming too firm for heavier weights (or parts of the body). A thicker mattress can also be part of a specific design that requires it such as some types of zoning or layering that needs more layers to accomplish the design goal of the mattress. It can even just be a matter of preference rather than “need”.

If you can imagine for example a 2" layer of polyfoam on the floor you would compress it to its maximum and feel much more of the floor (it goes from soft to maximum compressed firmness within the space of a 2" layer) but if you had the same softness of polyfoam in a 6" layer on the floor … it would feel much softer and compress more gradually and to a lesser percentage of its overall thickness and wouldn’t reach the same level of firmness or “bottom out” (which means reaching the maximum level of compression or firmness that a layer or a mattress can effectively achieve).

Going from the 8" to the 10" Artic Dreams will add .5" of the Energex Gel polyfoam, and 30% more (1.5") to the polyfoam support core. I don’t know that there is a difference in the ILDs, but a difference from 10 to 12 wouldn’t generally be noticeable. The larger difference would be in the extra .5" of foam on top for plushness, with a bit more noticeable support with the thicker polyfoam core.

No. I would check out some of the options linked to in the foundation thread post I mentioned in my previous reply.

Phoenix

Hello Again:

I think I will do that - contact Dreamfoam about the misshape issue. We certainly cannot keep this mattress as-is

I am also thinking I may get a 10" or even a 12" model instead of an 8" to give me some more support. I did look back in a chat transcript I have and Dreamfoam did tell me that the 8" had an ILD of 12 then 10" (ILD 10) and 12" (ILD 8). Would there be a huge difference in feel from ILD 12 to ILD 8 even? I am not sure what layer they were giving me the ILD for though…can I assume it is the Energex they were referring to?

I also saw they told me that the top layer is 3.5 lbs/cu ft-that seems pretty high quality for the inexpensive price. If I went with the 12" as opposed to the 8" (like I currently have) I get an extra inch of that Energex which should increase durability…right?

My only concern about all of this in sticking with this particular Dreamfoam model (Arctic Dreams) is that it is so inexpensive it is considered a “throwaway” mattress. I wish I could know if it would last 3 months or 8 years before I buy!

The Dreamfoam chat rep. had no hesitance saying the mattress would be fine for me being under 250lbs. We don’t have a big budget for a mattress but we’ve got to have one. I have considered going with an entry level latex version Dreamfoam or even the Addable mattress to spend more and hope to have more durability, but don’t know if it would be “worth it”. We were on a very cheap ($300) spring Queen mattress (all we added was a cheap memory foam topper) for 9 years and it only recently became pretty unbearable.

I checked out your link to the foundation post and I cannot seem to find a durable, inexpensive (oxymoron?) slatted frame that is raised like a platform. I really like having space under the bed so I may just stick with the Smartbase I have from Zinus. One reason I bought it is because it has 3" of space between each metal “line” and Dreamfoam said in a chat that it would work fine as a base for their mattresses.

Thanks again for all your help!

Hi The Riddler,

I think that is the best course of action. I’ll be interested in learning what you decide to do.

The largest difference in plushness you’d feel would be due to the extra amount of Energex polyfoam as you took a step up to the 12" version. Yes, the ILD was a reference to that Energex foam. In general, I would simply consider it a plush material.

The Energex is a high quality polyfoam, one of the newer generation of what I term "high performance" polyfoams.

As for durability, you would be compressing the 8" mattress to a greater percentage of its thickness so “in theory” the 12" would probably be just a little more durable although the difference may not be all that meaningful in “real life”. There would be a difference in increased surface plushness that you should notice. While variable, there is some good general information about the “durability” of a mattress and what that might mean to each person in post #4 here.

I wouldn’t agree that this is a “throwaway” mattress at all. It certainly is a lower price point (and there can be tradeoffs to get at that lower price point), but the materials used are higher-quality than many products that are quite a bit more expensive in this category industry-wide, and it does represent a very good value, IMHO, for someone looking to keep their budget as low as possible.

Those are also both good options, but whether one would be “worth it” or not is personal and comes down to your own personal value equation.

Phoenix

All right-

I got onto a chat with Dreamfoam’s service rep. and let them know about the problem. They a picture initially but I explained that, unfortunately, the issue is not something that can be seen.

They said they could initiate a return/exchange and I chose to buy another mattress from them (I went with a 10" Arctic Dreams this time) and they said once I receive it they can initialize donating the other one and giving me a refund.
The rep. did mention they had not heard of this issue before, so hopefully it isn’t just me!

Like you mentioned, I cannot beat the value of these mattresses from Dreamfoam. We bought one for my young son awhile ago and he likes it. It is quite comfortable.

Hopefully this next go around things will be perfect! I tend to obsess and hyper-analyze over things that I am about to buy so as you can imagine researching mattress info has taken up a long while of my time (too much…).
I will let you know what happens when I receive the next one.
By the way, what is this pillow coupon I can get from being a member here?
Thanks again for your help!

Hi The Riddler,

Thank you for the update. I’m happy that Dreamfoam was willing to assist you with this and also allow you to upgrade to another product. :cheer: I’ll be interested in learning about your experience with your new Arctic Dreams 10" version.

Regarding the pillow promotion, site members here can request a free pillow promotion from Dreamfoam. You’d have to phone them and explain you are a site member here. I’m not sure if they will be able to make it retroactive because of your previous purchase, but it’s always worth a chance!

Phoenix

Well, my new mattress has shipped, and I am eagerly awaiting its arrival!

I have to say, I was laying on our current 8" mattress dip in it and it had me wondering-is it possible (I am sure many things are POSSIBLE) that for my wife and I a foam mattress may just not “work”?

It seems like we just got a “dud” this time, but perhaps for whatever reason we would break down a foam mattress too quickly (my high BMI?).h

This also got me wondering as a potential contingency plan of going with an old-school innerspring again if this Arctic Dreams doesn’t work. I hope it does, because their service is great and the mattress is well-built.

I have looked some on The Mattress Underground here but have not been able to find this:
Are there some body types who generally would be a better fit for innerspring as opposed to foam?
What weak links should I be looking for?
If I went innerspring I would be considering the following from Ikea:
Haugesund:

Haugesvar:

Are there any weak links in these mattresses?

Thanks for your feedback!

Hi The Riddler,

That’s good to hear!

It’s possible you may not have “an affinity” for a mattress using a polyfoam core, but as far as being functional and appropriate for you, there would objectively be no reason to cross such a mattress off of your list of items to consider. But personally it certainly could be that you don’t prefer such a feel.

As I mentioned in one of my earlier replies and post that I linked to, people with a higher BMI do generally need thicker and more durable materials, as they will place more of a mechanical stress on any product.

I’m glad you’re happy with the service Dreamfoam has been providing you. I would worry about potential contingency plans only if that might be necessary, and if it does I would tell you to start from the beginning following the guidelines in the mattress shopping tutorial here.

[quote]I have looked some on The Mattress Underground here but have not been able to find this:
Are there some body types who generally would be a better fit for innerspring as opposed to foam?[/quote]

You’re not finding such an article as one doesn’t exist :wink: . There is entirely too much personal variability involved to state that one type of component best “fits” a specific body type, even those of a higher BMI. I wouldn’t necessarily rule out any specific type of componentry, provided the quality was appropriate for the application.

Again I would refer you link I listed earlier for the mattress shopping tutorial, and you should go back and read the information I provided you about higher BMIs and appropriate materials.

Phoenix

Well it has been awhile since I posted-I hope you are doing well!
I will go ahead and share my return story with Dreamfoam if you are interested:
I returned the 8 inch mattress as you know and it was relatively hassle-free. They like to donate it to a charity and the only trouble I had was finding one who would accept a “used” mattress.
Everything worked out though and that mattress was wisked away.
I ended up ordering the 10" Arctic Dreams mattress and while my wife and I sleep great on it, we may end up returning it as well.

It is a bit too soft so we end up sinking way down into the mattress to the point it is hard to move around on it. Also the edges compress so much it almost kicks you out of bed if you are too close to the edge.

Also, there is a “mountain” (picture a tent) in the middle of the mattress that seems to be there whether it is on our frame or on our floor. The other mattress I returned was the same way.

Perhaps what it comes down to is that I want a ~$300 mattress to perform like a more expensive one!

Will any of these online foam mattresses struggle with edge support and a “tent” in the middle (maybe due to being compressed)?

I think I know now what I need to look for though-a more medium firm option that is 10" thick.

One question I have–is firmness more due to the density level of polyfoam/memory foam or is firmness more due to ILD level? Or are they directly related?

Also, what characteristics in a foam mattress do I need to look for to have the highest edge support possible and to have more of a feeling of laying “on” the mattress as opposed to “in” the mattress?

To put it is perspective, my last mattress was a super-cheap probably 7"-8" inch thick spring mattress with a 1.5"-2" memory foam topper. So I was pretty much “on” the mattress except for the topper.

Anyway, I guess I have more research to do.

I really like Dreamfoam as a company and would consider trying a more expensive mattress from them, but I don’t want to “wear out my welcome”, so to speak, with their return policy.

Thanks for any suggestions and all the information.

By the way, as a total side note-I realize that many of these online mattress makers do not own their factories, but I guess they just give said factory the specs and have them build the mattresses. Do you have any knowledge of what factory Tuft and Needle is made at, or Eve Mattress?

Hi The Riddler,

[quote]I ended up ordering the 10" Arctic Dreams mattress and while my wife and I sleep great on it, we may end up returning it as well. It is a bit too soft so we end up sinking way down into the mattress to the point it is hard to move around on it. Also the edges compress so much it almost kicks you out of bed if you are too close to the edge.
[/quote]

As we discussed before, this is a slightly softer version than you first Arctic Dreams 8" mattress, and at your higher BMI you may not like this comfort. There is no extra edge reinforcement system built into this mattress, so sleeping too close to the edge it will be a bit softer.

Hyperbole aside, I can’t tell you if what you are describing is some normal softening on the sides of the mattress where you sleep and the center of the mattress staying a bit firmer and not being broken in as much, and if that is accentuated and accelerated by the base you are using (which would still be evident if placed on the floor for one night). Two mattresses doing the same thing would normally lead my thoughts in that direction.

While price isn’t necessarily an indicator of quality, a less expensive mattress will necessarily have shortcomings as compared to items using more costly materials, which we’ve touched upon in some of the other posts in this thread. It certainly would be nice to get “million dollar” performance on a ten-cent budget. :slight_smile:

A higher density, thicker and firmer base foam can assist with edge reinforcement, and there are some models that do include a racetrack foam edge system, or models that use innersprings with edge reinforcement systems. The lowest priced mattresses usually can not afford such systems in their design. There are some comments about edge support in post #2 here and the posts it links to. And as I can’t see your mattress, I can’t determine if what you’re describing as a “tent” is a by-product of the normal breaking-in process of a mattress, something accentuated/accelerated by the base you are using, or a defect, but two mattresses doing the same thing have me thinking it is more of an issue of perception or usage in your home, as compression wouldn’t cause a product to raise in the center of the mattress. But this is all “theory at a distance”.

In polyfoam density and hardness (IFD/ILD) are not necessarily related, as they are in latex. A harder polyfoam would be a higher IFD/ILD, and the higher the density the more durable that foam will be.

Firmer foam layers and materials that are more resilient (higher density polyfoam, latex, innersprings) can all be good choices in the place of softer polyfoams, softer latex or memory foams. It is possible that you may prefer the feel of innersprings used for the deeper support of a mattress, as opposed to a polyfoam core, based upon your previous experience.

Tuft and Needle does final assembly in Southern California, and the Eve mattresses sold in the USA are made in Indiana. This isn’t meaningful information that would make a difference to the average consumer, as they wouldn’t be familiar with different mattress manufacturing facilities, so it’s not something that I generally track.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I was wondering if my issue could be the frame also. What causes me to be unsure is that we have only been sleeping on the mattress for one week and the “hump” in the middle seemed to be there even when we first tried it out.

I am a bit frustrated because I am outside of my return period for that frame. However, possibly I could argue that it is making my mattress perform poorly and get a refund…

The idea of a firmer mattress with more edge support and the higher density core had me considering the Eve Mattress. Via chat their specs are:

our top layer, which is the next generation foam layer, is 2 inches thick and has a density of 2.5lb/ft3
our second layer, which is the active response layer, is 1 inch thick and has a density of 3.0lb/ft3
our third layer, which is the support base layer, is 6.5 inches thick and has a density of 2.43lb/ft3

Now of course I have pause because the top layers are low density for memory foam. The chat rep also stated that these are actual memory foams and not something like Energex.

What do you think?

And about the Addable Mattress: I know you caution people of a higher weight with the mattress, but the materials seem very high quality. Can you expand on that?

I was asking about the factories because it seems like anyone could just pair up with one of these factories and, “BOOM” , create a new online mattress company. Is that basically the case (barring the details of starting a business of course)

Thanks!

Hi The Riddler,

[quote]The idea of a firmer mattress with more edge support and the higher density core had me considering the Eve Mattress. Via chat their specs are:
our top layer, which is the next generation foam layer, is 2 inches thick and has a density of 2.5lb/ft3
our second layer, which is the active response layer, is 1 inch thick and has a density of 3.0lb/ft3
our third layer, which is the support base layer, is 6.5 inches thick and has a density of 2.43lb/ft3
Now of course I have pause because the top layers are low density for memory foam. The chat rep also stated that these are actual memory foams and not something like Energex.
What do you think?[/quote]

As I think you’re already aware, the 3" of 3 lb or lower density memory foam in the upper layers are a weak link in this mattress and based upon the durability guidelines I linked to in one of my earlier replies in this thread I would provide a strong caution against a product using such componentry. Plus, you said you like to be “on” the mattress versus “in”, and memory foam will allow you to sink in more, so that’s another reason you may not like such a product.

I explain this in my synopsis in the simplified choice thread on the Addable. There are no lower quality materials or weak links in this mattress, but for higher BMIs I would provide a caution with the 4 lb memory foam and the 1.8 lb polyfoam, as ideally I’d recommend 5 lb memory foam and 2 lb polyfoam for higher BMIs, but for the price the mattress offers an excellent value in relation to the componentry it contains.

Yes, while you are correct it is not as simple as that, there are plenty of people with no mattress experience starting up their own mattress companies. Many are schooled in SEO marketing versus mattress construction.

Phoenix

EEE… Honestly I don’t know about the dreamfoam. I bought one like…little more than a year back and you know where it is now? Standing in my garage. I mean…in my opinion it’s so lukewarm. I don’t feel like it’s the worst thing out there but I def do not think that it’s…like. Not that it’s hyped but…it’s jus OK, in my opinion. I don’t know if anyone invest in stocks but I’ll use this analogy: Is it the worst place to place your money? Perhaps not. Are there better options out there if you dig a little further, undoubtedly.
Hope this helps

Hi MegaevolutionSully01,

I’ve deleted your post in this thread and two others, as they were quite frankly meaningless/nonsensical and contributed nothing to the forum. Please abide by the rules of the forum, or your posting privileges here will be revoked.

If you’re truly looking for information about selecting a mattress, I recommend you start by reading through the mattress shopping tutorial here. If you are looking for something in the Norfolk area, some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Norfolk/Hampton/Newport News area are listed in post #2 here.

NOTE ADDED: Unfortunately, you’ve chosen to continue to post unrelated and promotional material in other threads, which has resulted in the suspension of your posting privileges here.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix
Yes you have me well educated about the memory foam density of 2.5 lbs/pcf being a lower quality. It was an immediate red flag.
A question though: in terms of durability, not necessarily quality of “memory foam characteristics”, would a 2.5 density memory foam have the same longevity (or more?) than a polyfoam with a 2.5 density? I hope that question makes sense?

Also, I re-read the durability guidelines for higher BMI people, and you mention for polyfoam that you should go for at least a 2lbs/pcf. Assuming you get polyfoam at that density or higher, does it matter how many inches there are of this density material in terms of durability as long as it is over that number and the higher density is on the top?

I think my new list is:
Love & Sleep Mattress by Nest
Addable
Tuft and Needle

Incidentally, did you know that Tuft and Needle is actually about to raise their prices…will be $900 for a king June 1st and onward…

Hi The Riddler,

A true HR polyfoam at 2.5 lb density would be much more durable than a memory foam at the same density.

Ideally I would recommend 2 lb density in the comfort layers for a polyform for people of a higher BMI.

This post about progressive mattress construction talks a bit about common layer thicknesses.

The thickness of a mattress overall is just a side effect of the design and by itself isn’t particularly meaningful because whether a thicker or thinner mattress would be better or worse for any particular person will depend on the specifics of the materials (type, firmness, etc.) and on all the other layers in the mattress. Thickness is only one of many specs that are used to make different mattresses that perform and feel differently and that makes a mattress suitable for one person and not another. There is more about the effect of thickness in post #14 here. Regardless of how thick or thin a mattress may be … the most important part of the “value” of a mattress is how suitable it is “as a whole” for your particular body type, sleeping positions, and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) regardless of how thick it may be.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Not tring to word parse, but would a “regular” HD Poly foam (you mentioned an HR foam) also be more durable than a memory foam of the same density (Like if they were each 2.5 lbs/cuft)?

Thanks

Hi The Riddler,

No worries. A 2.5 lb memory foam is a lower quality foam. A 2.5 lb polyfoam piece is a good quality foam. They’re different types of foams, so for the memory foam to be a more durable, the minimum density I would recommend at 4 lb, and preferably 5 lb.

Phoenix