Questions about G.S. Stearns and Sleepys

I ordered a G.S. Stearns mattress in sleepys on Presidents’ day. The price was $1299 and the saleman told me that was for one day only and after that the price will go up to $1800. I ordered it and scheduled to deliver this weekend. But today I found that the price was still the same as Presidents’ day. I felt like I was fooled so I called the saleman to cancel the order because he didn’t tell the truth. But to my surprise, after dealing with him, he made a phone call to manager and told me they will sell the mattress to m on half price, for only $650!

I never thought it will be like this. I checked online but couldn’t find any stearns brand mattress sold as this low price. I’m wondering if they were playing some tricks with me. If anyone knows about sleepys or the G.S. Stearns can give me some advice, that will be great. Here is the link for the mattress:

http://www.sleepys.com/stearns-and-foster-g.s.-stearns-ultra-firm-mattress/SF9220.html

Thanks!

Hi waisl,

I would be cautious here and make sure that they aren’t selling you a comfort return or floor model. You can check the law tag for the date it was manufactured to make sure that it’s recent because most of the industry runs on a “just in time” supply basis.

You can read more about the “fake sale prices” that are common in the industry that are meant to create a false sense of urgency in post #5 here. I would treat these types of sales as a red flag because good quality and value mattresses sold by many manufacturers that use higher quality materials in the same budget ranges are available available every day of the year.

I would also be cautious about buying any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the quality and durability of the materials inside it and I would also tend to avoid the major brands such as Stearns & Foster (see the guidelines here).

If you do decide to cancel your order then the first place I would start your research for a new mattress is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the more important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to buy a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of what I call PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks involved in each of them and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

If you can find out the information you need about the materials and components in the mattress you are considering (see this article) and post it on the forum I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials in the mattress and the mattress as a whole but it’s unlikely that you will be able to find out all the information you need to make an informed choice with the major brands and if you can’t I would avoid the mattress completely because the risk of foam softening and breakdown or sagging and buyers remorse much too quickly after a purchase would be too high.

This topic about another “reduced” G.S. Stearns mattress from Sleepys may also be worth reading.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you so much for your valuable advice. I finally took the deal and it just arrived in a minute. As your told me to check the tag, it was made 02/2015. So it should be complete new unless the tag is fake. As the PPP you mentioned, I feel the mattress is pretty good and for the price it’s like a steal. I will try it for a while and keep post the follow-up.

Hi waisl,

I’m not so sure it would be a “steal” compared to other mattresses that may use higher quality materials but as long as you are aware of and are comfortable with the much higher risks involved in choosing a mattress where you don’t know the quality/durability of the materials inside it and which are likely lower quality/density than I would normally suggest (see the quality guidelines here) then at least it would be a “good value” choice based on your own “risk tolerance” and the criteria that are most important to you.

Phoenix