questions about latex

Hello,

It seems like most of the natural mattresses all incorporate latex as a component and non-latex options are limited.

I’m thinking of getting a hybrid latex/spring but I am wary.

I currently have a latex topper right now on a too firm bed. I’m resting on top of the topper, and don’t really sink in much so it causes shoulder, neck and head pain when i rest on my side, but cushions from the hard bed underneath.

I’m wondering if its the firmness of the latex (i have no idea what it is) or if its an inherent property of the latex that its causing the pain.

Should i stay away from latex?

Hi pressurepts,

There are two main types of latex (Dunlop and Talalay) and both come in a wide range of firmness / softness levels. The odds are good that what you are experiencing is just a latex topper that is too firm for you (or possibly too thin for you). You can read more about the different types of latex in this article and in post #6 here. Some of this (head, shoulder, neck) could also be connected to your pillow which may not be keeping your head and neck in neutral alignment.

The “feel” of latex or any other material or component is just a preference. Many people like it’s natural resiliency (which is not related to firmness) and some of its other benefits and some may prefer slow response materials like memory foam.

Phoenix

Hmm OK.

Yes I’ve tried every type of pillow, contour, shredded latex, puffy, not puffy, firm and flat… but all with the same results. waking up with stiff neck.

I can only assume my shoulder is getting kinked and messing up my neck and back of head pain is coming from this.

The latex topper feels good on my low back, but kills my shoulders.

The bed I was eyeing had 2 in of soft talalay latex on top of nested bi-level pocket coils. The soft latex might feel good on my shoulder, but then I wonder if I’m sacrificing back support?

Hi pressurepts,

What type of mattress do you have (make and model?)

It may be a good idea as well to talk with the retailer or manufacturer to find out more details about your mattress or to ask for suggestions as they may be more familiar with your mattress (or have helped other customers with a similar body type and symptoms)

Primary support comes mainly from the deeper layers of the mattress so the latex on top wouldn’t be affecting this so much. Secondary support comes from the upper layers which are meant to provide both pressure relief (allow the more pointy parts of the body to sink in enough) and to fill in the recessed gaps in the body profile. I would also keep in mind that your “comfort layer” is really a “comfort zone” and may not just be the thickness of the top layer (see post #2 here)

This is certainly a possibility. It could very well be that your comfort layer isn’t thick enough to “allow” your shoulders to sink in enough before they are “stopped” by firmer layers. Neck issues can also come from twisting of the head and neck or sleeping positions where the upper body or spine is twisted. Part of this could be your body trying to “twist away” from pressure points on your side.

Besides the ideas in the mattresses section of the site … post #2 here along with post #3 here and post #6 here and post #6 here are all examples of posts that may be helpful in helping you to “diagnose” what may be happening and what may work best to correct it.

My “guess” would be the thickness of your comfort layer but without being able to see you in person and to know more about what is in your mattress and your body type and other relevant information the best I can do based on “theory at a distance” would be a be a guess

Phoenix

The old bed is a simmons world class corita plush. Its a hard POS that flattened down in the first 3 mos. worthless. The latex pad i got was to make it bearable until I get something else, but I think the latex is too firm. Not sure I could make it work with a softer topper because the bed is so hard underneath.

The other bed I mentioned was from berkely ergonomics. It had the soft latex. The sales person worked with me and made the recommendation based on height, weight, sleeping etc. But I wonder if 2 inch of soft latex is thick enough? Haven’t purchased yet, and still ruminating.

Hi ressurepts,

To “fix” this you would need a latex topper (or any type of topper) that was thick and soft enough to isolate you from the firmer feel of the mattress underneath it. It’s too bad that you don’t know the ILD of the latex which you could use as a reference point

All the layers of a mattress interact together so whether a 2" soft latex comfort layer was enough for you would depend on all the layers that were underneath it … especially the ones that were closest to it … and on your own body type and sleeping style. The foam on top is only part of your comfort layers. Your own personal testing would be the best way to answer this for you. The people at most of the Berkeley Ergonomics dealers I have talked to have all been very knowledgeable and helpful and would give you good guidance.

Phoenix

The Corita Plush is the one I have too that is causing my hips to go numb.

Hi jet757f,

There are two ways that a mattress can be “too firm”. The first is if the actual comfort layers are too firm. The second is that there is low-quality soft foam in the comfort layers that has softened and is allowing the heavier parts of your body to “go through” them and feel the firmer layers and components below them. As you can see here … the Corita Plush has 3.75" of 1.2 and 1.5 lb polyfoam in the comfort layers which would soften quite rapidly (and some lower density memory foam under that) so I suspect it’s the second.

Phoenix
Administrative note: 2020-11-05 Updated link to reflect old unit specs; (Old link) us-mattress.com/simmons-corita-pl.html

Wow. yep the simmons corita plush top layers feel like a sack of flour. the transformation happened in a matter of about 3-4 months. sad.

i think the topper is in the range of 26-28 ILD (i called the place). that’s what i was told. but it seems firmer based on what i’ve read about ILD. I know it’s blended latex too.

Hi pressurepts,

I forgot to link the specs of the Corita Plush in the previous post (now corrected).

28 ILD blended Talalay can certainly feel firm for some people and for others can feel quite soft. Comfort is so subjective and depends so much on what is over and under the latex that one person’s “too firm” can be another person’s “too soft”. Your weight is lower than average which means that you would tend to feel 28 ILD as being firmer than others who were heavier.

Phoenix