Questions about SelectFoam mattresses (and comparing foam mattresses in general)

Hi karakuri,

I completely agree that more generic ratings can be a useful starting point and can provide some rough level of comparison across mattresses although comparative ratings tend to be more accurate between different mattresses made by the same manufacturer. The challenge is that the term is used in different ways by different companies and is more of an overall rating rather than a rating of each component of a mattress (comfort layers and support layers) so it’s always a good idea to use caution when using them as a guideline because one “medium firm” mattress may not be as good a match for a specific person as another … particularly if they are from different manufacturers.

The Tempur 4 lb memory foam feels softer than their 5.3 lb so a lot of people prefer it because of the softer and more responsive (less sleeping in sand feeling) and more breathable sleeping surface. The 4 lb memory foam feels softer than the 7 lb memory foam which in turn feels softer to most people than the 5.3 lb memory foam although there are different formulations of the 5.3 lb memory foam in terms of softness (the top layer of the Contour signature is softer than the layer below it even though they are both 5.3 lbs).

I haven’t ordered anything from them but I have talked with Alan there and he is knowledgeable and helpful. Their memory foam appears to be high quality but it’s Chinese manufactured and not CertiPur certified for those where this is important (EDIT: this has now changed … see post #10 here). He has also told me that they have access to other types of memory foam for those where CertiPur certification for VOC’s and harmful substances is an important issue. A forum search on foamorder (you can just click this) will bring up more feedback about them.

Phoenix