Questions for Phoenix

Phoenix, from what I have read on the forums I understand that you purchased your own mattress from the Mattress Factory in Fort Worth. I have been there and tried out their latex options they had out and really liked their medium which I understand is the softest that they offer.

So, I was wanting to know ,how long have you had your mattress?
How long do you believe it will last?
How satisfied are you with you purchase?
Their medium firm that has the firm core with the medium comfort layers I would like to get your thoughts on whether that would have more longevity vs the medium core and comfort layer version?
Thank you for all of your help, and any other thoughts you may have as well.

Hi BrianW,

Almost 5 years now.

While there is no way to quantify how long any mattress will last for any particular person, if a mattress is well inside a suitable comfort/support range and isn’t close to the edge of being too soft when it is new and meets the minimum quality specs that are suggested in the guidelines here then it would be reasonable to expect a useful lifetime in the range of 7 - 10 years and with higher quality and more durable materials like latex or higher density memory foam or polyfoam (in the comfort layers especially) it would likely be in the higher end of the range or even longer.

It’s always more realistic to think of about 10 years as a maximum reasonable expectation for any mattress no matter what the quality or durability of the materials and then treat any additional time after that as “bonus time” because after about 10 years the limiting factor in the useful life of a mattress will often be the changing needs and preferences of the person sleeping on the mattress and even if a mattress is still in good condition after a decade … a mattress that was suitable for someone 10 years earlier may not be the best “match” any longer.

Having said that … with higher quality materials throughout a mattress and/or for people whose needs and preferences or physical condition or body type hasn’t changed much over 10 years then “bonus time” or even “extended bonus time” with higher quality/density and more durable materials like latex or higher density memory foam or polyfoam or natural fibers is much more likely than with less durable materials.

We have been happy with our purchase although my fiance has changed her primary sleeping position from being a side sleeper to being a back sleeper (due to a TMJ condition which was being affected by her side sleeping) so if anything in hindsight it would have been better to choose a firmer mattress although that would have been impossible to know at the time. Based on what we knew at the time it was a great choice for us.

While firmer materials are more durable “in theory” than softer materials … I would make your choice based on which one is the best “match” for you in terms oF PPP rather than which one may be more durable “in theory”. There would be little value in purchasing a mattress based on its durability alone if you don’t sleep well on the mattress. there is more about the many variables that can affect the durability of a mattress in post #4 here and there is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here.

I would be very cautious about using other people’s reviews or experiences on a mattress (either positive or negative) … including my own … as a reliable source of information or guidance about how suitable a mattress may be for you and in many cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) may be completely unsuitable for someone else with a different body type, sleeping position, or preferences and sensitivities to sleep on (see post #13 here).

Phoenix

Ok I understand what you mean about relying on other peoples reviews or recommendations since what others feel may not be what I feel in the same mattress. I do plan on going back there to try out their latex selections again before purchasing just to be sure. Thank you for all of you help.

Hi BrianW,

You’re certainly heading in a good direction and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding :slight_smile:

Phoenix