Quick Question on Latex Bad Smell

I recently bought this Talalay shredded latex pillow:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00B1ZT5FE/ref=pe_386430_121528420_TE_dp_1

Even after 3 months of letting it air out, the smell is still too much for me. Is there any reason why this pillow might smell but a latex mattress from, say, SleepEZ wouldn’t? Or should I just avoid latex altogether? The reason I ask is that I’m planning to buy a topper for my bed and I’m hesitant to go with memory foam, but it might be my only option.

Hi BroonsterBurr,

There is a little more about the smell of latex in post #2 here but Talalay latex doesn’t normally have a strong smell that bothers most people so I don’t know whether it’s a matter of your sensitivity or that your pillow is somehow unusual and smells more than most (the smell of natural latex like any natural product can vary from batch to batch). I have a Linenspa solid Talalay pillow that is about 3 years old and it had very little smell when it was new and I can barely detect any latex smell if I press my nose right into the pillow.

I also don’t know the source of the Talalay latex that they use for the shredded latex in the Linenspa pillow. There are two manufacturers of Talalay latex that you will normally see in the western world (Latex International and Radium) but there are also a couple of Talalay latex manufacturers in China and since the Malouf pillows are made in China it’s possible that they are sourcing their latex from one of the Chinese Talalay manufacturers and that they have a stronger smell (or at least some of them do).

If you are considering a Talalay latex topper then it may be worthwhile to ask for a small sample so you can see what it smells like or if the smell would bother you.

Phoenix

BroonsterBurr-

We had an innerspring mattress with latex in it for 6 years. We no longer have it, but even after 6 years, I could smell latex when I walked into the room if the door had been closed (it was worse for some reason when it was raining- maybe something to do with the humidity). That mattress was from European Sleepworks- and I think the latex in our mattress was 100% natural Taladay latex, but I don’t know where it was made (although on their website, they write that they get their latex from Radium).

We also had two 1" blended taladay latex toppers from Latex International. They had an odor for several months, and after a year, just a very light smell- and for me, the latex smell of the blended was much more tolerable.

I also had a solid latex pillow for awhile, I think it was a Latex International latex, but not certain, and had to get rid of it after about half a year because it was a little firm for me, but mostly because of the odor.

Not sure if this helps.

As I mentioned in another thread, I’m thinking about getting a La Noodle pillow, which has latex “noodle” filling, but a little worried about a latex odor being a problem, but Phoenix and a couple others here have said the La Noodle doesn’t have a strong latex smell. I guess the only way for me to find out is to order one!

Good luck :slight_smile:

Appreciate the help, thank you! Sounds like I could just be averse to the smell of latex, sad days. I’m going to give the pillow another shot tonight and go from there. Phoenix you’re a god thank you so much for this resource, I’ve tapped the website and forums many many times for info in the past. I’ve never seen anyone as generous as you with their time and knowledge, on or off the interwebs. If there was a Phoenix for every topic/facet of life the world would be a better place, I really believe that.

Hi BroonsterBurr,

Thanks for the kind words … I appreciate them :slight_smile:

I am just as grateful for the many people in the industry who have shared their time and knowledge and experience with me which is the source of much of the information on the site and also for the many members here that are so willing to share their experiences as well!

Phoenix