R&S Mattress Liberty Eurotop vs Aloe Alexis

My husband and I are trying to decide on either of these King Mattresses and would like to get input. They are fairly comparable and both made by Brooklyn bedding.
The R&S Liberty Eurotop specs are 1.5 in super soft quilting foam (polyurethane) on top, 3" 28 ILD Talalay for pressure relieving, then 3 " 32 ILD support layer, then 6" 2 lb soy based foam for the core.

The Aloe Alexis has about the same core, but the Talalay layers are customization.

The Liberty is about $100 more. I am leaning towards the Aloe Alexis, and like the idea of being able to replace the latex but my husband is VERY concerned about buying online. He does not think it is a good idea for a number of reasons. #1 We can’t test it out. #2 the mattress comes in parts that you have to put together.

Do you have any words of wisdom for our dilemma?

Hi JulieS,

[quote]The Liberty is about $100 more. I am leaning towards the Aloe Alexis, and like the idea of being able to replace the latex but my husband is VERY concerned about buying online. He does not think it is a good idea for a number of reasons. #1 We can’t test it out. #2 the mattress comes in parts that you have to put together.

Do you have any words of wisdom for our dilemma? [/quote]

You are certainly looking at two very good quality/value options :slight_smile:

Both of the mattresses you are considering are very similar (assuming that you choose the same layer firmnesses in the Aloe Alexis) and any meaningful difference between them would likely be in any differences in the thickness and firmness of the polyfoam support core.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer (such as Brooklyn Bedding/Dreamfoam Bedding) that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences or even to other mattresses that they are familiar with (such as the Liberty Eurotop) than anyone else.

Once you have had your phone conversation with Brooklyn Bedding/Dreamfoam if it turns out that they are virtually the same in terms of comfort and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) then your choice will really come down to the “peace of mind” that may be involved in choosing a mattress that you have tested in person or how you feel about buying a mattress locally (the Liberty Eurotop) vs the options that you have available to fine tune the firmness of the latex layers after a purchase by rearranging or exchanging them (the Aloe Alexis). Which one would be the “best value” for you will really depend on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

When you are down to finalists that are all choices between “good and good” (which you are) and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design (which they don’t) and if there are no clear winners between them then you are in the fortunate position that either of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

In the end this is a choice that only you can make because there is no clear “better or worse” between them other than your own criteria and preferences.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding!

Phoenix

We ended up getting the aloe alexis. Unfortunately, I think the PPP is not working for me, it feels more firm than I thought it would. I ended up going one level softer (24 and 28 ) than the Liberty (28 and 32) and it still feels very firm. I don’t think my shoulder is able to sink in enough when I am on my side. Thus, I am waking up with back and neck pain.

I now am trying to decide if I have time, and if it is worth switching out a layer to a softer one. I only have 45 days total to try the mattress. I have had it for 14 days now. Will a softer latex layer make any difference or should I save the $75 and just count my loses and return it for $99? What do you think?

Hi JulieS,

This is something that only you can decide. If you like the general “feel” of latex and it’s only a matter of adjusting the firmness of your mattress then exchanging a layer would certainly make sense because the ability to exchange a layer is one of the biggest reasons for choosing a component latex mattress in the first place. Of course if you don’t like the feel of latex compared to other materials or types of mattresses then a return would probably make more sense.

There are also some suggestions in post #2 here that may be helpful if your mattress is too firm but the first suggestion I would make is to give any new mattress 30 days or so whenever possible so that the mattress has a chance to break in and you have the chance to adjust to a new sleeping surface that is different from what your body is used to (see post #3 here as well).

I would also make sure that you have a more detailed conversation on the phone with Dreamfoam so that you can provide them with more detailed information about yourself and your sleeping experience and “symptoms” so you can take advantage of their many years of experience and the guidance they can provide based on working with other customers whose experience and circumstances may be similar to yours.

Phoenix

I wanted to update on what we decided so that people can use the information in their decision making. Dreamfoam Bedding was GREAT to work with, but the Aloe Alexis ended up being way too firm for me as a side sleeper. I had BAD neck and back pain. I tried the bed for 90 days (we switched layers to the softest halfway through) and finally decided to return it. It was one of the best decisions I made.

We ended up buying from a local mattress factory near Salt Lake City called Haaga Mattress Factory. We bought a combination memory foam/latex mattress. From day one I’ve had relief from neck and back pain. I LOVE my new mattress. The memory foam allows me to get the comfort I need as a side sleeper, while the latex offers the support that I need for my back. I was wary of combination mattresses, but after trying different mattresses at Haaga, this was the one that felt best to my husband and I. As an added bonus the new mattress cost 1/2 the price of the Aloe Alexis, so it was a real win!

Hi JulieS,

I’m sorry to hear that your Alexis didn’t work out as well as you hoped for but it’s good to hear that your new mattress seems to be a better “match” for you in terms of PPP.

There are two Haaga Mattresses in the area that aren’t related to each other so I’m not sure which of them you purchased from. At one point they were selling mattresses made by other manufacturers (such as Englander, Spring Air etc) but last year at least one of them (and possibly both) started selling mattresses that they make themselves. Once I’ve had the chance to talk with both of them in more detail (I had a brief conversation with them today) I’ll also add them to the Salt Lake City list as well. Thanks for the heads up.

Assuming that you were able to find out the information listed here about the type and quality of the materials in your mattress (and if you did it would be great if you could post the specs on the forum) … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix