Radium Latex

Is all Radium latex in North America imported as slabs from the Netherlands or does Radium have a pouring facility in the USA?

Hi magpie,

It’s imported as slabs in container loads. They don’t pour in North America.

Phoenix

Thank you.

I have searched the Radium Latex site, but cant seem to find an answer. Do they only sell one “grade” or “weight” of Talalay Latex? I have seen mattress and topper sellers who claim to use Radium Latex talk about ILD’s, but I dont recall anyone saying the weight in latex mattress X is 4lb or 6lb latex, etc. Nor do i see higher or lower prices for different “grades” of latex on the same site … Only ILD.

So if company A uses a Radium Latex 3" talalay 30/70 blend in a 22 ILD, would it be the same piece of latex as company B’s latex of the same blend, ILD and thickness regardless of price? Or are there weights that also effect price and durability that i am not finding / seeing?

Hi MrM1,

Latex is differentiated by the type of latex and the blend of natural and synthetic rubber that it uses. Density (which I think is what you mean by weight) is a “comfort” spec with latex (firmer latex is more dense than softer latex of the same type).

Radium makes both 100% natural and blended Talalay in a wide range of firmness levels or ILD’s. The density of Talalay is unimportant and isn’t a spec that you are likely to find out in most cases because Talalay manufacturers rate the firmness of their layers in ILD not density. Many Dunlop latex manufacturers on the other hand don’t use ILD to rate the firmness of their cores (although some do) and often use density instead. You can see some approximate ILD/density comparisons with 100% natural Dunlop and blended Talalay in post #2 here.

ILD/IFD firmness ratings aren’t directly comparable between different types and blends of latex or between other types of foam (see post #6 here) and ILD itself is only one of several factors that will affect how soft a foam (or a mattress) feels (see post #4 here).

If they were both made by Radium and they were the same blend and ILD though then they would both be the same material.

Phoenix