RE: Berkeley versus Charles P Rogers and Pocket Coil versus Latex?

Hi JLJ,

I’ll do my best to answer your questions.

Certainly. The ultimate jobs of the mattress cover in a component system is to assist in keeping the contents contained, to help provide protection (UV rays, abrasion, liquids, etc.), potentially help pass federal flammability regulations, potentially assist in temperature regulation and also contribute to the final comfort of the product, amongst other things. The type of cover used comes down to your own personal preference as part of your PPP and the quality of components used to make the cover.

You can see some comments about innersprings and electromagnetic (EMF) fields in these post here. It’s certainly not something that would concern me in any way.

I’ve seen no compelling, objective and reproducible data supporting this and would personally have no concern (you can again reference my post above). Most motors on the power foundations operate only when a button is pressed to have them move the position of the base unit, then they are off. Most bases are also UL or ETL certified, although I’m not aware of the specific protocols used for each manufacturer and whether or not testing for EMFs is included for these items. If you have a personal concern, you can always hire a company to perform a test for EMFs in your home.

It would not necessarily be correct to infer that I “have a concern” with a manufacturer/store by the omission of that manufacturer/store from this site. I will state that an invitation to be a member of this site is only done after a very extensive vetting process (which would exclude about 90% of the stores in this industry), confirming that the business is completely transparent about the materials in their mattresses and that they share the goals and ideals of this site.

The goal of the site has always been to provide information about “how” to choose a mattress that provides the tools and information that will make the quality and value of a purchase self evident so that each person has the knowledge and information to be able to assess the suitability, quality/durability, and value of a mattress purchase for themselves based on their own unique needs and preferences and criteria regardless of what anyone else may prefer or recommend and without having to “believe” anyone. One of the most important goals of the site has always been to be fact based and to promote full disclosure so that anyone can validate the information for themselves and not have to “just believe” anyone (including me), and I’m always happy to point to good specifications or value whenever I find it, regardless of membership here.

I hope that helps!

Phoenix