Really frustrated with my TempurPedic I just bought, want to return it and get a latex mattress

A few years ago I bought my first big boy mattress, a 12" Spa Sensations memory foam mattress from Walmart, after reading rave reviews everywhere. It was great for about 2 years, but it began to have heat issues and it was not as comfortable as it was when I got it. I kept it until about 2 months ago, when I went to Sleepy’s and bought a TempurPedic Cloud Supreme after trying tons of mattresses and reading all kinds of literature, but failing to find this site.

After a week or so, I realized that I hated the Cloud Supreme, so I went back to the store to see what my options were. I have a 90 day in home trial, which I am still in now. The woman at the store told me that it really needs to break in, so I went home and walked on it, and it seemed a bit softer, but that is the problem. I sink into the thing so far, I’m in a pocket and then I get way, way too hot. I wake up constantly at night and it prevents me from sleeping at all. This is the worst I’ve ever slept in my life, period. I’m a lightweight guy (5’9" 160) so I can’t imagine how bad the heat issues must be for someone who is a bit heavier than I am.

I went back to Sleepy’s to explore my options, and I found that they were recommending me some inner spring mattresses, and trying to get me away from TempurPedic completely. I think that the Cloud Supreme is really just too plush for me, and that is causing the heat issues.

I’m from the Philadelphia area and I saw Phoenix’s post about the local places to check out, and I will do that but I want to know, is it worth it to exchange my mattress for a firmer TempurPedic? I was considering the Contour Signature, which is very firm, and I don’t think there would be so much of a heat issue. I have also tried a Pure Latex Bliss Nature, which I liked, so I have the option of returning the Cloud and getting that, too. The price for a Queen Nature was 2200 plus delivery for a set, which seems a bit high.

Thank you!

Hi noneedlessnoise,

Sinking “in” to the mattress is part of the nature of memory foam and is part of the reason that some people sleep hot on them. You can read more about the different factors that are involved in temperature regulation in post #2 here and post #29 here. Walking on your mattress would have reduced the normal break in period of a memory foam mattress but as you know it would also mean you are now sinking in more which means that it would have a tendency to be warmer than it was for some people.

As you can see from the post I linked … this would almost certainly be at least part of the temperature issue … along with the nature of memory foam itself of course which is generally less breathable than other types of foam. I would certainly be very hesitant of exchanging this for another mattress sold at Sleepy’s which generally sells mattresses that I would not consider for purchase. If you are able to receive a refund then I personally would probably go in this direction and then post #1 here would provide you with all the information, steps and guidelines you would need to make good choices (and avoid major brands and chain stores completely).

The Contour Signature would be firmer which may reduce heat but it also uses higher density memory foam which could be warmer than the 4 lb memory foam used in the Cloud Supreme. In both cases though … you would be sleeping on memory foam which would tend to be warmer than other types of foam … including latex.

Talalay latex is generally a more costly material than memory foam and it is much more costly than the polyfoam used in the base layers of all the Tempurpedic mattresses so I would put the PLB Nature in a higher quality/value category than any of the Tempurpedics or other major brands. The total cost is lower and the materials inside the mattress are higher cost/quality materials … which to me means better value.

Of course there may be better value yet in a latex mattress either locally in the Philadelphia area or with some of the online merchants or manufacturers that are mentioned in the site (such as in post #21 here) but of course this would depend on your own risk tolerance for an online purchase and on the parts of your own personal value equation which are most important to you.

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply Phoenix. I am able to return my TempurPedic for the full purchase price, and it sounds like that is what I’m going to do. I am wondering if Latex is the best choice for me though, with the heat issues. I’ve read that they’re not great as far as heat retention goes. I get hot very easily, and unfortunately for me, this isn’t just a sleeping issue. I’ve been recommended this: Tuft & Needle: Exceptional Mattresses and Bedding at a Fair Price which is similar to this: http://www.shepherdsdream.com/p-25-the-premium-all-wool-mattress-5-thick.aspx

And I’ve also been told to just buy a regular inner spring mattress like everyone else. What are your thoughts on those two mattresses? Or should I just stop worrying and go with the latex mattress?

Hi noneedlesnoise,

In my last reply I linked to two posts which talks about the factors involved in sleeping temperature. Latex is the most breathable of all the foam materials and in an apples to apples comparison (all the other temperature factors being equal) it is the coolest of all the foams. Most people have few if any temperature issues on a latex mattress if it is really a latex mattress they are sleeping on … especially if it has natural fibers like wool in the cover and quilting.

Of course if temperature is a primary or the only consideration … then natural fibers like the mattresses you linked are cooler than any foam material but they have their own issues of comfort and pressure relief because they are not as soft as foam and will also compress more (although this is not a sign that they are wearing out) and become firmer. Most wool layers will compress by about 30% or so over time.

Innersprings are a support component and the sleeping temperature of an innerspring mattress would depend more on the type of foam or fiber that was used over the innerspring and on the other factors I mentioned in the links even though innersprings themselves are more breathable than foam. If you had an innerspring with polyfoam or memory foam layers on top then they would be less breathable and warmer than the same innerspring with latex on top. An innerspring with natural fibers on top would be cooler

Like everything else it’s a matter of the tradeoffs that are most important to you.

Phoenix

by all means return it. for the money you should be happy. if you want a cool bed you should have a wool topper over latex. memory foam will always be hot and tempurpedic is hotter than average memory foam.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Looks like a wool topped latex mattress is the right way to go. I’ve seen the options that are out there, but do you guys have any recommendations? I’m a stomach sleeper, so I guess something firm would be the way to go. I see this: Amazon.com is highly recommended, but I’m not sure what options I have with a wool top. I also see that PLB doesn’t sell anything with a wool top.

Thanks again.

Hi noneedlessnoise,

Again … I would follow the steps in post #1 here which will give you all the information, steps and guidelines you need to make good choices. I would certainly start locally to test some latex mattresses so you have a sense of the type of mattress that fits your needs and preferences based on your own experiences if possible. The same post also links to a list of some of the manufacturing members here who make some of the best quality and value mattresses in the country (including Brooklyn Bedding which makes the Dreamfoam mattresses on amazon you mentioned) and many of these make the type of latex mattress you are considering. I would call and talk with the ones that you are interested in in person. Your local testing and some research on their sites in combination with their help and guidance on the phone can help you decide which of the mattresses they offer would be the best choice for your body type and sleeping positions and well as your personal value equation.

Phoenix

Hello again,

I just wanted to thank Phoenix and everyone else on this site for their information. I returned my TempurCloud Supreme, and just purchased a 10" Total Latex from Brooklyn Bedding. I ended up getting 3 layers, all 3 inches. 36ILD, 32ILD, 28ILD. They were more than helpful, I spoke to Mario who helped me and answered a ton of questions. I look forward to it arriving, hopefully some time next week.

Hi noneedlessnoise,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your feedback after you receive it.

Phoenix

I just wanted to update this thread and thank everyone that contributed. I took delivery of my 10" all latex mattress from BB on Monday of this week, and it’s been a really great experience. The mattress is fantastic, doesn’t sleep hot at all, extremely comfortable. No break in period at all, it was comfortable the day that I got it. I thought it was a bit too plush, but that was just me not being used to sleeping on latex. It’s perfect. My insomnia is much, much improved. The latex pillows are a treat too, I really love that you can kind of shape them however you want. I was concerned with the longevity of my TempurPedic, which is why I ended up returning it. This bed, while it doesn’t have the warranty that the TempurPedic does, has a zip cover, and replaceable layers which are easily replaced. I find this to be a really good value, especially considering the fact that I can easily obtain a softer or firmer top layer if my tastes change. The cover is really good quality, and the filling is all wool. Previously they were using 75% polyfoam and 25% wool in the inch of padding in the cover, but it is now all wool. The price has increased, but BB actually gave it to me for the price before the increase, plus the 5% discount. The one thing I will warn you of, this thing is REALLY heavy. It was labeled to be 130 pounds, but it is much, much heavier. Me and my construction worker friend who I bartered into carrying it up the stairs with me think it weighs closer to 200, maybe right on the money. When I opened the package, it “inflated” really quickly, maybe 10 seconds or so and it was full sized. No smell or anything. Anyway, great value, and I’m much happier with this, knowing that this is a natural product, and that I’m supporting a small business.

Thanks again everyone!

Hi noneedlessnoise,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback.

You clearly made a great comfort choice and it’s nice when you start sleeping well right from day one … and of course day two and three and … onwards :slight_smile:

Phoenix