Recommedation for Natural Talalay ILDs for split king with the following weight individuals

Hopefully Phoenix or some other knowledgeable persons will respond. I am considering the Organic Natural Flo Beds V-Zone mattress. I am looking at the split king and I am 6 feet tall and weigh 260 lbs and wife is 5’ 4" and weighs 185 lbs. I know that Flo beds has their calculation system they recommend however it appears that they like to recommend extra and super firm on folks with our size and weight. We had also tested the local Latex Pure Bliss sleep store and while we did not know the ILD’s, we both liked the Nature and the Nutrition models although we had the 3 " latex topper on both. This appears to be in direct conflict with the Flo Beds chart. Thus, I wanted some input on at least the bottom two layers for each side because I understand that the V zone can be changed as needed although they do charge so I would prefer to get it as close to" just right" as possible if I do opt to go with the Flo Beds V Zone. I have had multiple back surgeries with fusion and cervical fusion as well. Thus, I have ordered the L & P Prodigy as a foundation. Thanks for your great support and opinions. This is a super forum.

Hi mhollas,

The best source of “comfort advice” for a mattress that you can’t test in person is a more detailed conversation with the manufacturer themselves (see post #2 here). They have more experience and knowledge about helping you match the different options they have available to different body types, sleeping styles, and preferences than anyone else and any other possibly “conflicting” suggestions would only lead more to confusion than be helpful.

I would not use a “standardized” chart to choose a mattress because these are just general guidelines and I would always talk with them in person so you can provide more specific information both about your personal “specs”, your testing experiences, and your personal preferences.

For reference … you can see the specs of the PLB mattresses in post #2 here. If you were using the PLB toppers then depending to some degree on which topper you were trying they would all be “in the range” of the mid teens in terms of ILD.

Phoenix

We just ordered the exact mattress you are thinking about, split king v-zone with adjustable bases. My wife and I are both pretty heavy and after laying on all the different configurations in the Flobed showroom we much preferred the mattress that was super firm on the bottom with extra firm next and then the firm v-zone layer. After asking a few questions about us and what we were looking for, Dewey at Flobeds thought that this was probably the one that we would like best and he was certainly right. It will be awhile before we can offer any long term opinions about the mattress but we are quite certain that this is the correct firmness for us.
Good luck with your search and hope this helped a little bit.

GW208 & mhollas - I’m looking at the same configurations you were considering and am over 6’3" and 270 lbs. How has the Firm v-zone, X-Firm, Super Firm layers worked for you? I like a softer mattress for my shoulders so I’m hoping this is the answer for me.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Hi jcsipe,

Hopefully either GW208 or mhollas will see your post and share their comments but I would also keep in mind that while other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be helpful … I would be very cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful (even if you have a similar body type) because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness as well and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (which would include Flobeds) and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix