recommend a spring coil/innerspring mattress (firm)

Hi ihavezippers,

No problem … innersprings of various types can certainly make good choices for a support core and some people prefer them over any other type. If you choose a firmer type of innerspring for support … then thinner comfort layers will allow you to “feel” more of the firmness of the innerspring and the better the quality of materials that are used in the comfort layers the more durable your mattress is likely to be (the comfort layers are usually the “weak link” of a mattress). Two sided would be more durable yet.

If you choose the best combination of innerspring support core and comfort layers over it … they are certainly capable of providing good spinal alignment and if you have good alignment in all your sleeping positions then the mattress would also be good for your back. The materials aren’t as important as the fact that a mattress provides you with good alignment and pressure relief and everything after that is preferences.

The only recommendation I would have for larger brands in general is that I would tend to avoid them except for the less common occasions that a retailer provides all the specs about every layer of a mattress you are considering (the innerspring as well as the materials above them and the ticking/quilting of the mattress).

The “fake sales” at the types of outlets you are mentioning “black friday or otherwise” are just meant to lure the unwary and are sales based on inflated pricing. For me these are more “warning signs” to stay away than “enticements” to shop there. While an innerspring mattress is certainly a valid choice … you are certainly not looking in the best direction IMO for the best quality or value no matter what the sales may be. Better manufactueres and retailers don’t depend on revolving sales to sell mattresses and have good quality and value available every day of the year.

The better options and possibilities in the Washington, DC area I’m aware of are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix