Recommendation for memory foam mattress topper needed!

I have bought a latex mattress 4 months ago but been waking up with aching on my back. Would like to get a memory foam topper to see if that would help a little. My fiance sleeps a little hot so I wasn’t sure about if I should get a normal memory foam or a gel one since I’ve read mix reviews of both.
I have read the guide lines so am looking for 2-3’ one but would like to see some specific recommendations that I can choose from.
Thank you

Hi minmin001,

I don’t make specific recommendations of “what” to buy … only “how” to make the choices that have the highest odds of success. Just like with buying a mattress … there are too many unknowns and variables for anyone to make a choice for you out of all the thousands of different memory foam or gel memory foam toppers that are available on the market. Without personal experience on a specific mattress / topper combination … then the “next best” way to choose is using the insights and ideas that are in the topper guidelines in combination with more detailed phone discussions with the retailers or manufacturers that you are most comfortable dealing with so they can help you choose a topper out of the more limited choices they offer that they believe has the best likelihood of success.

Both gel memory foam and memory foam without gel are a very similar slow response material and the choice between them would depend on how important the benefits of gel were in your choice. Some gel memory foams have very limited benefits and some can have more of an effect on cooling or support depending on the type of gel they use and the percentage of gel in the memory foam. There is more about gel materials and how they affect the memory foam they are added to in post #2 here and the posts it links to.

In very general terms … gel memory foams can add a little bit of temporary cooling to the mattress and can help offset the tendency of memory foam to get softer and allow you to keep sinking over the course of the night. In terms of durability I would compare gel memory foams to regular memory foams of the same density.

You can also read more about the different factors that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress in post #2 here because in many cases there are other factors besides the foam in a mattress or topper that can contribute to sleeping hot.

The information provided by a retailer or manufacturer that sells particular types of memory foam or gel memory foam toppers and which is based on their knowledge of their own products and personal experience would be the best way to find out more about the specific options they offer and the benefits of each option. I would personally put more emphasis on the response of the memory foam (gel or otherwise) and the density of the memory foam (gel or otherwise) and then use a gel version if a slight benefit in the cooling or the “support” of the memory foam would be a benefit to you. There is more about the characteristics of different types of memory foam in post #9 here.

The reviews you read will generally not specify the specific circumstances, body type, sleeping positions, or preferences of the reviewer that bought the topper … the specifics of the topper they bought (density or response characteristics of the memory foam they bought) … or the specifics of the mattress the topper is used on … all of which will make a difference in the suitability of any topper for a particular mattress or person. All of these variables are why you will read so many mixed reviews of the same type of topper or material because everyone’s experience on a certain topper can be very different depending on the circumstances.

The guidelines are meant to help you make the best possible choice based on your actual circumstances and experience on your mattress and in combination with more detailed conversations with knowledgeable retailers or manufacturers can help you make the best possible choice. There is no “formula” that can be more specific than this but if you are still uncertain after several conversations with good retailers or manufacturers then the return policy can be one of the most important parts of the “value” of your purchase and offset the risk of making a choice that doesn’t work out as well as you hoped.

Overall if you are in an average weight range and have an average body type then a 4 lb memory foam (or gel memory foam if you want a bit of extra and temporary cooling or a bit more supportive material that you won’t sink into as much) in a 2" thickness (a “little bit to a fair bit” of extra softness) would be a good “average” choice for most people.

Those who want more of the memory foam feel of being “in” their mattress or who need “a fair bit to a lot” more softness on their mattress would likely choose a thicker topper and higher weight ranges would likely do better with a higher density in the range of 5 lbs or better both for durability and to help them sink into the topper a little less.

Thicker toppers in combination with thicker softer layers in the comfort layers of your mattress will have a higher risk of alignment issues … especially if you are a back or stomach sleeper so “just enough” in terms of thickness is usually the best choice.

Phoenix