Recommendation for pregnancy mattress topper?

My wife is 4 months pregnant and is experiencing a lot of hip pain from sleeping on her side. What density and depth of mattress topper is recommended to help ease her pain? My initial thought a was to try a soft 3" latex topper, but wanted to seek help from other people that have experienced this problem. Thanks!

Hi shigadeyo,

Congratulations!

There is more detailed information about toppers and the posts linked to therein (included resources for manufacturers offering toppers), in post #2 here.

The added comfort that a topper is able to provide is of course impacted by the surface upon which it is placed, your sleeping style, somatotype and other personal preferences and sensitivities.

Talalay latex is a popular choice for toppers, often in 2" and 3" thicknesses for added plushness. The ILD range of 15-19 is often considered more “ultra plush”, and the 20-24 ILD range is often considered “plush”. If your existing mattress is already quite soft and your wife desires just a little extra comfort, a 2" toper might be adequate. If your wife needs more substantial comfort and your existing mattress is firmer, the 3" topper might be a more appropriate choice.

I hope that information helps out.

Phoenix