Recommendation? Nest Owl vs Luma Natural Latex Hybrid

Hi there!

Looking for a new mattress. 6 ft, 200 lbs, side sleeper. I would’ve picked a firm mattress, but I think plush would be much better for me.

I narrowed it down (somewhat arbitrarily) to the two mattresses in the topic. Any recommendations or tips? The Luma one seems to be on sale, not sure if that’s rare or quite common as with other mattress stores…

Thanks!

Hi ckoehler, welcome to The Mattress Underground, happy you have joined us here :slight_smile:

[Quote] Looking for a new mattress. 6 ft, 200 lbs, side sleeper. I would’ve picked a firm mattress, but I think plush would be much better for me.
[/quote]

First, thanks for providing your stats - that’s essential in order to get a general idea of what mattress might best suit you. You say you “would’ve picked a firm mattress”, but think plush would be better for you…is this assessment based on previous mattress history, testing in the shop, or do you have any health conditions which affect your sleep? Any soreness or stiffness on waking? Firm to plush comfort levels have big differences in how the mattress feels. Generally, side sleepers that totter between the two comfort levels and have no other issues choose the middle ground with a medium mattress, Normally the way to ensure suitability is to try out, to see how it feels; but with an online purchase you are more restricted and you would need to reach out to the vendor that you can trust is a mattress person and not just a sales agent… as a side sleeper, you want to have a little extra comfort to prevent pressure on your hip, shoulder, and joints.

Both The Nest Owl and the Luma Natural Latex Hybrid are well-designed mattresses with high quality materials, As you probably know they are both Trusted Members of The Mattress Underground, and you can also ask questions on the dedicated forum for Luma Sleep as to the firmness choice that might best work for you. These mattresses both have Plush, Medium, and Firm comfort levels to choose from according to your personal needs and preferences. To select the correct comfort level, you may want to read the article on your sleeping positions

In making a decision between them, There is little substitute for an in person test of a mattress in a showroom, but in the case of an online purchase you oriented yourself well by ensuring there is a trial - Luma has a 100 night risk free trial, and Nest offers a 365 night sleep trial - and both offer with good return policies; Choosing between them comes down to your personal comfort with whichever you choose.

You should take a look at our Mattress Specifications You Need to Know and our Mattress Shopping Tutorial to give you a general idea of what to look for when shopping for a new mattress. Always keep in mind that aside from quality of materials what we call PPP (Posture and Alignment, Pressure Relief, and Personal Preferences) is unique to each individual. I’d rely on the tried and tested experience of Nest Bedding and Luma Sleep (through their forum, call, or chat) to make appropriate recommendations of which comfort level may best suit you based on averages and experience of customers that may be similar to you. I’d make sure though to provide them with some background of why you are thinking plush … but “would’ve picked a firm mattress”.

As Phoenix would say … “While it’s not possible to make a blanket statement about sales because each retailer or manufacturer can be different, generally giving in to a sense of urgency because of a sale may do more harm than good when it comes to suitability or even price” Sales come and go and some of them seem to last forever,
If you have time and budgetary constraints or would like some more time to peruse some other options, I’d make sure to ask Nest and Luma about their future sales to see if it better fits your schedule. Both are very customer oriented and transparent and probably wouldn’t mind giving you some heads up.

I hope this helps,

Basilio

1 Like

Thanks, that is helpful!

I do wake up sometimes with arm/shoulder pain, so I am considering something a bit softer this time. Our current mattress is pretty firm.

I will ask in the respective forums about which firmness they recommend.

Thanks again!

I couldn’t find a forum for Nest. @nestbedding?

Hi ckoehler,

Unfortunately they do not have a dedicated forum page…you can call one of the showrooms listed on their trusted member page, or their customer support at 888-982-2001 if you have any questions. There is also a chat function on their website.

Basilio