Recommendations for innerspring mattress without chemical FRs

Hi Mattress Friends!

We are near Seattle. Any specific recommendations for non-latex mattresses that are comfy and reasonably priced? Our budget is around $1500, but we could stretch it to $2000.

We are wanting to avoid foams, in general. So probably cotton & wool are best. Bedrooms and More sells a “natural” mattress made right here in Sumner, WA. Anyone ever tried it? I believe they call it Therapedic? Which is a common name and ;ends itself to confusion :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks in advance!

I’m definitely not an expert in this niche… But, I’ve heard naturepedic might make mattresses with no foam (polyfoam or memory foam), no latex, and no chemical FR treatment.

Edit. The sleeptek classic 1000 / 1100 / 1200 likely matches your criteria also:

http://sleeptek.ca/products/classic-1000

Have you looked at this one? It might work well with the wool topper which you already have.
http://soaringheart.com/collections/organic-mattresses/products/organic-innerspring-mattress

I tried the Therapedic cotton/wool/innerspring mattress from Bedrooms & More when I was mattress shopping, and I didn’t like it, personally, but it’s worth trying. It felt a little like an extra firm futon to me.

Hi buttercupbetty,

You’ve probably seen this but the Seattle list is in post #2 here.

Four places that I know that carry innerspring / natural fiber mattresses are Bedrooms & More, Seattle Mattress (also a Therapedic), Soaring Heart, and Holy Lamb organics.

Phoenix

Thanks Dahlia! That’s exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for!
Do you think you might have liked it (Therapedic) with a thick wool topper?

Soaring Heart recommends a 4" wool topper on theirs…I bet it’s pretty FIRM.

Great suggestions! Thanks dn.

I wish I could try Naturepedic in person. Looks like only their baby line is available in Seattle…they are also priced a bit out of our budget at this time.

Hi buttercupbetty,

I don’t remember if I tried the Therapedic at Bedrooms & More with a wool topper, but I did try it at Seattle Mattress with their display wool topper (can’t remember the thickness…but I believe it was from Cotton Cloud), and it still didn’t work for me.

More specifically, I remember that the cotton/wool seemed very tightly compressed and packed into the top of the Therapedic, and it just didn’t have the feel I was looking for. It felt much firmer/tigher top than the cotton/wool/latex futon I have from Soaring Heart (used as a dayed)…but still reminds of a futon feel because of the cotton/wool on top.

If I were in your shoes, and depending on your sleeping style and whether you’re willing to frequently flip/rotate, I would also consider a pure cotton/wool futon, and adding a wool topper on this.

Just read about your ordeal with latex allergies, and was sorry to read it! On the bright side, it seems like you really enjoy mattress and bedding shopping :slight_smile:

–DahliaM

@DahliaM:

LOL! I do love shopping! How did you guess?

Thanks for the tips. I tried the futons at Soaring Heart (just for fun) and they were definitely too firm for me. I understand that Seattle Mattress has over a dozen models of Therapedic. Did you try more than one? They are also the lowest price~if I’m right & comparing “apples to apples”.

Nothing feels as soft and supportive as latex. Sigh.

Hey buttercupbetty,

I probably tried more than one Therapedic at Seattle Mattress, but I can’t remember! The one I was referring to in my previous post is THERAPEDIC’s “Kia” Mattress - Natural Handtufted Cotton & Wool (http://www.seattlemattress.net/organicmattresses.html).

I wonder if an all-wool mattress like the kind at Holy Lamb would give you that softness you’re looking for…they look appealing, but again, require more maintenance.

We had an opportunity to try one of the WJ Southard mattresses at Soaring Heart in Seattle yesterday. It felt way too firm for me.
First we added 2 inches of wool. And then I had another 4 inches of wool. Still too firm. And I realize that, just like Phoenix says, you can’t just keep adding layers without affecting your alignment. The giant stack of wool wasn’t comfortable either.

So now I’m feeling somewhat resigned to purchase a mattress with polyfoam. At least we know that we can avoid chemical FRs. And we can select a denser, higher-quality polyfoam. Keeping chemical sensitivities in mind…

Thanks for your help!

Hi buttercupbetty,

I hope you keep us updated on your search. It would be great to hear that you’ve found a mattress that is a great match for you with all the challenges you’ve faced.

Phoenix