recommendations for mattress outlet in the San Jose Ca, area?

New member here. Coming from a Major retailers spring mattress and looking to do it right this time. After a lot of reading here and elsewhere I think I am going to go with a Latex or Latex hybrid mattress this time. Taking the advise found here I am trying to find a local outlet where I can try out the mattress rather than buying on-line. Any recommendations for a good shop in the San Jose Ca, area?

Hi PhotoAv8r,

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list you wish to deal with is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your specific criteria and the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the San Jose, CA area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply Phoenix. I happened to be up in Palo Alto today and stopped in to Nest Bedding (note: their Mt. View store is now closed) . They were very transparent, knowledgeable, and helpful and we may have found what we were looking for. Need to check out a few other places first.

Lesson learned: After a lot of research, I thought that I wanted a full Latex mattress but after trying multiple mattresses in a couple of stores today, neither of us liked the “feel” of the full Latex mattress the best. We actually preferred a hybrid mattress of pocket coil support layers with a three inch Latex comfort layer and a 1/2’’ wool topper the best.

More looking to do but I’ll post later on what we found.

Thanks,
Tony

Hi PhotoAv8r,

Thanks for the update. It’s good to hear that you are doing some good testing to confirm the type of mattresses that you tend to prefer.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Thanks for the heads up about their locations as well and I’ve updated their listings in the forum and on the membership list.

Phoenix

Just wanted to give an update on our search Phoenix. After trying the three recommended stores in my area, we finally settled on Bay Mattress in Santa Cruz. We made a couple of trips over the hill to Santa Cruz to try out mattresses and ask questions. We met with the owner, Dan, the first time and it was easy to see that Dan was a local. Very laid back and mellow with absolutely no pressure to make a sale. When we first walked in all I told him was that we were looking for a mattress that would fit us better than the big name brand mattress we were replacing and then let him talk and ask questions. After about ten minutes of listening I was convinced that I was getting good questions and information and so I decided to start asking specific questions. Most of the answers corresponded to what I learned here and a few differed. But the fact that he had specific reasons for the differing answers he gave intrigued me and we ended up having a good discussion. I thanked him for his time but told him we weren’t ready to buy just yet and wanted to think about it. Instead of pushing the issue he took out a business card and drew a diagram of the mattress were were most interested in and listed all the different layers and ILDs along with spring support info for each side and told me to take it with me in case I wanted to compare.

We sat on the info for a week and decided that that was where we wanted to buy so date night this week was a trip over to Santa Cruz to buy a mattress and have dinner. We were initially disappointed when we walked back into the store as Dan was not there. His assistant, Pete, was though. Pete was even more laid back than Dan and seemed as though selling us a mattress was the last thing on his mind. Talk about different than the big box stores. Long story short, Pete was also very knowledgeable and was able to answer all of our additional questions. The main reason we decided on Bay Mattress was because of their totally customizable design. We took about two hours of Pete’s time and had him change springs on both sides of the mattress and also Latex layers until both my wife and myself found just the right combination for our different sleep positions and preferences. In the end we bought their top of the line, organic wool topped latex/pocket spring hybrid “Royal” mattress. We are pretty sure we both got what we wanted in the split design but the clincher is that if it’s not right, they will come to your house and replace components until it is.
Our goal was to find a mattress that would allow us to get a good nights sleep w/out waking every two hours due to pain in various areas, and we were willing to drive all the way to Santa Cruz to do that. The icing on the cake though is that while I believe we got what we wanted, they will continue to adjust, with out charge… at our house, until we are sure, and all of this at less than half the cost of the temper-pedic we were initially going to buy!

We are coming out of a full house remodel right now due to a fire and won’t be able to take delivery for about three weeks but I will update once we have had a chance to sleep on it for a while.

Thank you again for all of your help and truthful information.