recommendations for stomach sleeper with back pain?

Thanks. I’ll guess I’ll assess options once I have both bed and mattress, which should be in about a week or so.

The mattress is here. I will begin sleeping on it tonight. What can I expect in the coming days? Is there some sort of breaking in or getting used to it process?

I do notice an odd smell, almost fish-like. Presumably that is normal and will go away?

Oh, and my mattress is shorter than the metal bar, as discussed, and I can I’ll have to address that soon because my foot hit the metal a couple of times in a just lie down test run.

Hi chip,

A mattress will go through an initial softening and breaking in period and you will go through some kind of adjustment period to a new sleeping surface as well but everyone is different so I wouldn’t precondition yourself to expect anything specific and I would just sleep on it (although that’s hard when you have a new mattress when it’s easy to be hyper aware of every new sensation).

Most materials have an initial smell and different people describe the same smell in different ways but I’ve never heard of the smell of latex being likened to fish :slight_smile:

In any case the smell will diminish and fade away over the course of the first few days and weeks (depending on how sensitive you are).

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix. I survived the first night!

A bit more sore than usual, and perhaps I ended up sleeping on my stomach a bit more than usual.

Meanwhile, as if I didn’t have enough problems dealing with my adjustable bed issues – and bickering with you about them:) – I’m unsure about this mattress I’ve bought. After 5 nights or so, it seems I’m waking up sore too often, and with pain in the hips sometimes, which is new for me. I’m wondering if it’s too firm, or at least, too firm for side sleeping. (It’s an extra firm 100 percent Talalay).

Also, strangely, I feel thoraic pain after napping for 30-60 minutes in the zero gravity position. I’ve never really napped in this position before, so have nothing to compare it to. I can feel the same pain sometimes while awake in that position, or close to that positon. I have no idea what this is about. The mattress? The adjustable bed? The combination of the two? The position itself?

Otherwise I have no obvious issues with this mattress – it seems nice enough to the touch and feel and lying on it – but it’s not doing much magic over an actual night’s sleep. I will give it a few more nights and reassess.

Hi chip,

A single extra firm support core would provide great primary support but it would probably be too firm for most side sleepers without a softer comfort layer in the range of 2" - 3".

It could be almost anything but most likely is that you are not used to sleeping in this position and your body may need time to get used to a different sleeping posture. Post #2 here may be helpful as well.

Normally it’s a good idea to wait a few weeks before assessing things because of both the break in period for the mattress and the adjustment period that is involved with a new mattress but if you spend a fair bit of time sleeping on your side then it’s quite likely that you may need some extra softness for pressure relief. There are some topper guidelines here (and in the post it links to) that may be helpful if you decide to add a topper to improve pressure relief…

Phoenix

Thank you, Phoenix. I appreciate your thoughts on this.

Normally I wouldn’t want to be so quick to judge the mattress, but the problem is I have only about two weeks to decide whether I want to return it. (Mark at Dixiefoam was vague on time limit for returns – first he said 10 days, then he said 2 weeks).

So the question I’m going to face in a couple of days is: Should I swap this mattress for the Dunlop I also liked, or some other type of mattress he might have, or keep this one and work on softening it up with toppers and such? Another night under my belt suggest something will need to change, as my hips do not seem to like the current set-up.

The possibility of another mattress working like a charm and not having to bother with the expense and hassle of finding a topper is very tantalizing; the possbility that I have the exact same problem (or worse) with another mattress is less appetizing…

Hi chip,

The choice between Dunlop and Talalay is really a personal preference and would depend on which one you liked better.

Both of them come in a range of firmness options though and I think that no matter which you choose that the softness/firmness will be the key. If you were to choose a very firm Dunlop for example you would likely have the same issues with pressure points as you are on the Talalay.

Generally side sleepers will do better with a layer of softer foam on top regardless of what type of latex they use in a firmer support layer. For those who are a combination sleepers (such as side / stomach) then the thinnest possible comfort layer that is “just enough” to relieve pressure on your side would be best because it would have the least possible alignment risk for stomach sleeping. Stomach sleepers tend to “hammock” in a mattress where the support layers are too soft or where the comfort layers are too thick/soft so thinner is better for stomach sleeping (the pelvic girdle sinks down too far resulting in a swayback or hyperextended spine position which can cause back issues).

If you do choose either a softer Talalay or a softer Dunlop 6" core then it would need to be soft enough to provide good pressure relief when you sleep on your side so the issue is more about the firmness of either type of latex than it is about the type of latex itself (which is a preference).

Phoenix

So, since I have no obvious or apparent distaste for my Talalay, there is no reason to switch to Dunlop in the same firmness in hopes that will solve my problem?

I guess my best options include switching to a softer Talalay (or Dunlop), or going with a memory foam perhaps?

If I switch one level of firmness lower in the latex, for example, is that likely do the trick? And is there a risk of that I will then have other kinds of problems because it’s now too soft?

How should I go about deciding whether to exchaqnge for a less firm mattress, or just bite the bullet and get a topper?

Hi Chip,

No … but it would depend on the firmness of the Dunlop compared to the Talalay. If anything Dunlop in the same ILD will be a little firmer than Talalay for most people because it gets firmer faster than Talalay once you are past 25% compression (which is the depth of compression that is used to measure ILD). Dunlop will start off a little softer with initial compression and then “catch up” at 25% and become firmer. Dunlop also has a wider ILD variance across the surface of the mattress than Talalay and ILD measurments are not as accurate with Dunlop as they are with Talalay.

The “typical” solution would be to add a topper as a comfort layer. Going to a softer 6" layer may also work if there is enough initial softness to relieve pressure before the layer becomes firmer as you sink further into it. You could certainly add a memory foam topper to the latex core just like you could add a softer latex layer and the4 choice between them would be based on your preference between latex and memory foam. Both can do a great job with pressure relief but memory foam is not suitable for a support layer and always needs a firmer layer underneath it.

There are too many variables and unknowns and individual perceptions and preferences for me to know how someone will feel on any mattress or material that is more accurate than their own personal experience. I just don’t know. My guess though given your comments is that you may need to go down more than one “level”. A single layer of latex can work well as a mattress because even softer latex gets firmer as you sink into it and can provide good support but you will generally need a few inches of “softness” even in a single layer. A a thinner 6" layer will also get firmer faster than a thicker mattress.

The only real way to know would be through trying a 6" mattress where you knew the details of the type and ILD of the latex you were testing so you would have a reference point. The odds of success would probably be better adding a separate comfort layer though because then you would have good pressure relief from the topper and good support from the firmer latex below it.

If there is a Pure Latex Bliss dealer near you (you can see a search on the PLB site here) then it may be worthwhile testing the pamper which has a 6" layer of firm Talalay (40 ILD) and a 2’ 21 ILD layer over this to see how it feels for you and to be able to use it as a reference.

All of the other PLB mattresses have a 6" 36 ILD support core with thicker comfort layers of various ILD’s on top of this which may also be useful as a guideline (you can see the PLB specs here).

Phoenix

There are a couple of PLB dealers out in Brooklyn apparenty, but I’m not sure I trust myself to competently conduct that comparison test even if I did make the schlep.

My only other choices at Dixiefoam if I did exchange my mattress would be 6" inch latex mattresses, or different types of mattresses all together. (I guess I could pay more for a custom made thicker latex, but at that point, I would probably be better off trying toppers.)

Are you saying you think the odds are low that any 6" latex mattresses would work for me?

Ironically, my back really doesn’t seem to mind sleeping on my stomach on this mattress, but my hips are killing me from what I’m guessing is my side sleeping. And I don’t think I can recall my hips ever hurting before from any bed I’ve ever slept on. This ia brand new problem area.

Hi chip,

Each person is different so there is no way for me to know this. It will work well by itself for some and not as well for others depending on the many combinations of body type, sleeping style, and preferences. The key with a single layer is choosing the type and ILD of the latex that can provide you with the combination of softness on top and support underneath that is the best match for your particular circumstances. The challenge with a single layer is that it can be difficult to find the right balance between the two in a single layer but if you do find a single layer that has the balance between pressure relief and support that you need then there would be no advantage in changing to something else.

With multiple layers then you can design the bottom layers for support and the upper layers for pressure relief independently. You are primarily a stomach sleeper that spends 3/4 of your time on your stomach (although many people’s self assessment of their sleeping positions isn’t accurate according to studies and many stomach sleepers spend much less time than they believe on their stomach) which indicates the need for thinner and firmer comfort layers that are “just enough” to relieve pressure to the degree that is necessary for the time they spend sleeping on their sides. For stomach sleepers that generally need a firmer surface then a single layer has better odds of success than it would for a “typical” side sleeper and if it needs some “extra” softness on top then it’s not difficult to add a topper and build the comfort you need on top of the firmer support core which is providing you with the support/alignment you need.

With a thinner latex mattress it can also be worthwhile looking at a more flexible base underneath it (flexible slats or an active box spring or a system that flexes under pressure) to provide any extra “give” you may need under your pressure points. This can retain a firmer surface (if you need or prefer this) and still provide a little more “give” under your pressure points. There are many manufacturers that sell a combination of box spring and a thinner 6" latex mattress for example which works very well for many people because the box spring add the amount of give they need to compensate for the firmness of the mattress. You already have the support system you need so adding some extra softness either under or over it could both be good options.

This goes to my previous comments that the mattress you have is providing good support for your much more risky stomach sleeping position but it may just need a little bit of extra softness to accommodate your side sleeping which is more prone to pressure points. the thinnest firmest comfort layer that will relieve pressure on your side will have the least risk of maintaining the good support you need on your stomach.

Phoenix

You could well be right about how much time I spend in various positions. I’ve come to realize that I sleep on my side a little more than I thought – or at least, would like to do so in a perfect world. I think discomfort on my side is often how/why i end up on my stomach.

So, here is what we know so far:

1.) I can’t switch bases, since I have an adustable bed. So any sort of box spring/slats solution is out.

1. My mattress does seem to work well so far for stomach sleeping.

2. My mattress is not working well for side sleeping since my hips hurt a lot (and all day too!) So I’d like to address that very soon.

Then we look at my realistic/limited options:

1. Switch to another 6", less firm latex mattress, or another type of matttess all-together. (Dixiefoam does not have a huge selection, nor thicker latex.) And hope that the increased softness of a different 6" mattress would also provide enough support.

2. Skip the mattress switch and the attendant risks of that, and stick with what I have, and start playing around with toppers.

Whatta you think?

Hi chip,

What I would do would depend on what was available to me to test and how it compared with any other options you may have.

If you can test a mattress or a mattress/topper combination in person and verify with confidence that it fits your needs and preferences in all your sleeping positions (and this may involve spending enough time on the mattress or combination that you could tell with reasonable certainty), then that is the direction I would go because it’s less risky than trying to add a topper that you haven’t tried. If this isn’t possible or there aren’t any specific mattresses (or mattress/topper combinations) that you test in person that appear to work well for you … then I would add a topper based on the guidelines in post #2 here and the posts it links to.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix. I’ll think about what to do and perhaps call Mark at Dixiefoam and explain where I’m at and see if he has any thoughts.

I spoke to Mark a few minutes ago. He suggested I try a 1 or 2" memory foam topper from a place like Bed, Bath, and Beyond or Macy’s that has a good return policy. He said if that doesn’t work, maybe an exchange for a diffferent mattress of his would be worth exploring.

So I think that’s what i shall do!

Any thoughts on any particular toppers at Macy’s or BBB that people like – or that I should avoid? I see Macy’s has a 1.5" sensor gel one that caught my eye.

Mark mentioned there was some sort of blue colored gel one people have told him they like, so maybe this it?

Hi chip,

I would use the same guidelines as any mattress material. The density determines the quality and durability of memory foam and I would pay particular attention to the return policy as well because you will be going by trial and error to some degree and a good return policy means the risk is lower if it doesn’t work out for you. It would also help to deal with people who are informed and knowledgeable so that they can provide you with accurate details of how the toppers they sell may compare to others and perhaps provide some good guidance as well.

There are many many of these (most companies color their gel foams blue to imply cooling although there are other colors as well) so I have no idea which one in particular he may have meant.

Phoenix

I think I’ll just take the plunge and grab this particular one from macy’s tonight, or perhaps another one if it strikes my fancy. Macy’s seems to have an excellent return policy. Unfortunately I’m pressed for time in that I can’t spend a couple of days researching, finding experts, or ordering online and waiting for delivery and all that. I really want to get and test a topper asap while I’m still in my window to return my mattress if it comes to that.

Is there a post or a link that says what kind of 1 or 2" memory foam topper might be best, or what density, etc? (I like the idea of trying memory foam, so that’s the material I’d like to go with).

If it seems like a topper might indeed by the key, I can always return and find a better one.

So off to Macy’s tonight it will be!

Hi chip,

There are some general guidelines for toppers in post #2 here and the posts it links to.

2" would be an “average” choice that provided a “fair bit” of pressure relief with less risk for alignment than a thicker topper.

In general terms … 4 lb memory foam will feel a little softer for most people than 5 lb memory foam although memory foam can be tricky because it changes firmness and response with different temperatures, humidity levels, and time on the mattress and different types of memory foam, even with the same density, can have quite different properties and feel.

Phoenix

So it’s been 3 or so nights with the new 1.5 memory foam topper. It seems to provide a little bit of relief for the hips while sleeping on the side, but still could be better. Haven’t had a great night’s sleep yet. Perhaps the 3" version of this would help even more?

Of course, the topper does seem to make stomach sleeping a bit more uncomfortable, and one would expect that to increase if I got the 3".

Perhaps it’s often not possible to get a set-up that works well for both positions?

If so, perhaps its wiser to making the side position work well, and then use a pillow under my hips while sleeping on the stomach to support my lower back. This has been what I’ve done in the past, and it can help a little.