Recommendations for wool fleece mattress pads?

Thank you Clawdia. I am also considering adding a 1" Talalay topper on top of the dunlop. I’m assuming I don’t want to just return my 2" dunlop and replace it with ultra-soft talalay, for fear that I’ll sink all the way through it… Do you find that to be the case with your 3" talalay?

No, I don’t feel like I sink all the way through it (altho I might do so - I just don’t perceive it that way). For me, it’s just perfect, although I know that for many people it would be too soft. I’m 5’3" and about 150 pounds, and a side-sleeper. The soft Dunlop mattress I bought seemed to cause hip and shoulder pain, which resolved after I added the soft Talalay topper. Everyone is different, but for me the difference in the feel of Dunlop vs. Talalay seemed to be the key to my comfort.

The jersey material is on both sides and the skirt.
They are not very thick. They provide temperature control and softness but I would not use them as a substitute for a topper to relieve pressure points.

Hi kproth,
Wanted to reply regarding our CozyPure stretch protector which you ask" “Is there enough thickness to soften the surface feel of the latex?”. The answer is… No this is not a topper or a comfort pad, this item is simply a mattress protector to help protect the fabric of your mattress, made with stretch knit so it doesn’t compromise the feel of your mattress. A little feedback on your other questions: You’ll find most fleece wool pads will need to be constructed with a tighter woven backing as well, I’m not aware of any that are made with a stretch knit. There are also wool toppers made with batting, but keep in mind these will compress and nest over time, so not sure that will give you the softness you seek. I would look at “softer” latex options such a talalay, or sculpted (convoluted) toppers, or floating latex toppers (such as our cuddle-top). For particular items you are researching, your best bet is to call the manufacturer directly and get their recommendation, they will be your best source of information regarding the product they make. Good luck!

Hi,
This website helped me (as a lurker) choose a mattress about eight years ago – ended up with a latex mattress and still love it. However, I did not do the same research when it came to a mattress protector/pad, and have hated every one I’ve purchased since.

Looking at this site again, it seems like wool will offer what I want – minimal interference with the feel of the mattress, good temperature regulation, water resistance (water proof not necessary). I am looking for a minimalist protector, no need for a thick pad, as my mattress has that built in already.

So is St. Dormeir still the best pick?
Related question – has anyone heard of or tried a company called The Wool Room? They are based in the UK but ship to the US for reasonable prices. They have a 100% wool-filled cotton mattress protector that looks intriguing.

Thanks!

Hi KBr00ks.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum!! :slight_smile:

I am glad to hear that your 8 yeas old latex mattress serves you well and that you are still happy with your purchase.

At a first glance St. Dormier wool mattress protector is offered by some our trusted Members such as Flowbedshere or Memory Foam Comfort here.as their top pick protector. St. Dormeir (produced by a Canadian company) is one of the best water resistant mattress protectors, that doesn’t take away from the feel of the bed and still allows for the latex to breathe. The protector is washable and comes in two skirt sizes. (16" and 24") The jersey knit cotton would allow more airflow and the wool in St. Dormeir would likely contribute to the temperature regulating that you are looking for. If you are inclined to do some more research to cover all your basis, there is more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors in post #89 here.

The Woolroom is a British company that carries bedding accessories. Their mattress protectors are made of cotton quilted with 250 gsm layer of carded wool. They have not been discussed previously on our forum… so hopefully, someone that used their mattress protectors will see this post and share their experience.

Phoenix

Correction to Phoenix’s reply: the skirt depth is either 24" or 16" (not 6") but you probably figured that out.
If you are not looking for additional pressure point relief or full-on waterproofing I think these are the best protectors out there for comfort, breathability and purity.

Hi magpie.

I am glad I have so many eyes to keep me straight out here! Thanks for the correction I appreciate it! I’ll get to the “correction straight” away (pun intended.) :cheer:

Phoenix

Thanks guys!

Magpie, when you say “these are the best protectors out there,” I’m assuming you mean the St. Dormeir?

I do like that the Woolroom protector has more wool. Their quoted “250 gsm” (grams per square meter) works out to 7.37 ounces per square yard, or about 60% more than the St. Dormeir’s wool content.

But another concern I have is stretchiness… I hate how my current protector, even with a long skirt, still pops out from under the mattress, and the protector ends up bunching up under the fitted sheet. The Woolroom’s outer cotton fabric looks more like sheet fabric, not stretchy.

I emailed the company to ask, and got a quick reply: “I wouldn’t say that the cotton has much ‘give’ unfortunately, it is a 100% cotton at a 280 thread count and unfortunately won’t move too much in itself. However it does have a 35cm deep skirt, which is on the deeper side and so should give you some move with your mattress without having to worry about it popping off.”

Guess I will probably go with the St. Dormeir, but the Woolroom is another good-looking option. But I will investigate Woolroom’s comforters when it gets chilly again. :slight_smile:

Regarding the wool content issue, you may want to keep in mind that more wool (as in the Woolroom) makes a protector more difficult to launder. I takes a fair amount of time to dry the St. Dormeir which is lower in wool content and it (a king) barely fits into my front loader washer. Just something to think about.

That is a good point about volume, thanks.

Does any one have feedback about the Holy Lamb fleece topper? I tried one in a store today, and it felt so heavenly that I’m considering it. My concerns are 1) that it will add warmth to bed (I know they say that wool is “temperature regulating” but I can’t see how adding wool won’t add warmth) 2) that this topper will become packed down in places and become uncomfortable over time, and 3) that it will not lauder well.

Any experience with this particular topper?

Hello DR,

I have the HLO Fleece topper. It does not add warmth, in my opinion. It does compress or flatten over time. And I do not think it can be laundered in a machine. They have excellent customer service and will send you specific instructions.

Good Luck~
BB

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with this topper. The temperature is one of the most significant considerations for me. I also worry that it could create back pain over time if it gets lumpy, but it seems that it just gets thinner, which would be fine.

Wanted to update this thread as I finally decided to purchase a mattress protector from The Wool Room a couple months ago. I am really pleased with its performance! It does not affect the soft, springy feel of the mattress, and it breathes beautifully. So far the skirt stays in place. We’ll see in the long haul how well it protects the mattress, but its thickness inspires confidence.

In fact, I purchased the whole bedding set (protector, duvet and pillows) and couldn’t be happier. The duvet is very warm, yet it breathes better than down, and so doesn’t cause clamminess.

Hi KBr00ks.

Thanks for taking the time to share a “few months” updates, comments, and experience with the The Wool Room mattress protector … I appreciate it! :slight_smile: I am sure that many visitors interested in the same product appreciate it as well.

Phoenix

Which specific protector did you purchase? Are you using it to hold the latex layers in place or do you have a separate mattress protector for that purpose? Thanks so much.

Hey benjammin,

I just wanted to point out that I think the consumer @KBr00ks bought a traditional latex mattress, not a DIY mattress. So my understanding is this wool mattress pad was used as a traditional pad/protector, not used to hold any specific layers in place.

Not all consumers follow their threads after a few months …so not sure we will hear about the specific one they purchased.

Thanks
Sensei

Thanks. I’m sorry I missed that. I totally understand it was from a few months ago and generally when people are happy they move on and don’t check or pay much attention to it. I could probably contact the company directly and get more info. We’re probably not in a position to do anything with it right now but I do find the Wool Room to be an intriguing option.

Hi @benjammin – the specific protector I purchased is this one: Deluxe Wool Mattress Protector | Woolroom
“US SIZE DELUXE WASHABLE WOOL MATTRESS PROTECTOR”

And yes, Sensei is correct – this is for a traditional (factory-made) latex mattress with layers already encased in a cover.

I do still have email notifications turned on, so feel free to ask any questions. :slight_smile: The company is also very responsive via email.