recommendations

Hello,

I am looking for a mattress that has a certification such as oeko tex 100. greenguard gold, ect… I do not like the top comfort layer of the mattress to be made out of latex or wool (allergy to wool and don’t like the feel of latex). I am open to polyfoam, slow response latex, or memory if it is a cleaner product with a certification. Preferrably a MDI foam. I also would like to avoid flame retardants and have a return option if bought through the internet. Do you have a few options specifically that I could look at to narrow down to my final choice?

Ben

Hi benerlandson,

I don’t keep a list of mattresses based on the criteria you mentioned but there is a list of mattresses that are Greenguard and Greenguard Gold certified on their site here and there is a list of mattresses that are certified by Oeko-tex standard 100 on their site here.

CertiPUR is a much more common certification for memory foam and polyfoam and most of foam manufacturers in North America along with many foreign manufacturers are CertiPUR certified so you would have a much larger range of options that included most of the mattresses made in North America. There is a list of foam manufacturers here that are CertiPUR certified and there is also a list of specific companies here that participate in the CertiPUR program and sell mattresses that contain CertiPUR certified foam as well

Other than these you would need to check the websites or talk to the retailers or manufacturers that are in the online lists I linked in my previous replies to see which of them meet your other criteria.

Phoenix

You had also mentioned in a previous thread that there were mattress’s that would be comparable to essentia, but for less cost. Using much of the same materials and technologies. What specific brands were you referring to?

Ben

Hi benerlandson,

Any mattress that uses a 100% natural Dunlop support core with good quality/density memory foam comfort layer(s) or even a Dunlop latex mattress with a memory foam topper would be in the same general category as the Essentia mattresses although of course it may not have the same “feel” or firmness level as any specific Essentia mattress because the specifics of each layer may be different.

I would also be very cautious about brand shopping in general because you are buying a specific mattress not the brand and most manufacturers have access to the same or similar components and materials. Many manufacturers make a wide range of mattresses that can vary from lower quality and less durable materials to higher quality and more durable materials in a wide range of prices. The name of the manufacturer on the label or the price of the mattress won’t tell you anything about whether a specific mattress is suitable for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP or whether there are any lower quality materials or weak links in the design that would affect the durability and useful life of the mattress. There is more about the risks of brand shopping in post #5 here and post #12 here.

I also don’t keep a record of the individual mattresses or their specs or prices that the retailers and manufacturers in the hundreds of forum lists throughout the forum carry on their floor or have available online (it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market) but checking their websites and making some preliminary phone calls to the retailers/manufacturers that are on the local or online lists is always a good idea before you decide on which retailers or manufacturers you wish to deal with anyway. This will tell you which of them carry mattresses that would meet your specific criteria, are transparent about the materials in their mattresses, and that carry the type of mattresses that you are interested in that are also in the budget range you are comfortable with. Once you have checked their websites and/or talked with the ones that interest you then you will be in a much better position to decide on the ones that you are most interested in considering and/or visiting (if they are local) based on the results of your preliminary research and conversations.

I or some of the more knowledgeable members of the site can help you to narrow down your options, help you focus on better quality/value choices that are available to you either locally or online, help you identify any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress, act as a fact check, answer many of the specific questions you may have along the way that don’t involve what you will “feel” on a mattress, and help with “how” to choose but only you can decide which specific mattress, manufacturer, or combination of materials is “best for you” regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or whether anyone else has the same needs and preferences, criteria, or circumstances or would make the same choice.

Phoenix

If any members have any recommendations of specific mattresses to look at in regards to this thread that would be greatly appreciated! I am looking for a dunlop core/base and a slow response latex comfort layer or polyfoam, memory foam that is low in off gassing. I am chemically sensitive.

Thanks in advance.

Ben

Hi benerlandson,

Hopefully some of the members here that own a mattress that meet your somewhat “narrow” criteria will see your post and share their comments about their mattress. There are also several mattresses in the memory foam list that is linked in the tutorial that meet your broader criteria if you include CertiPUR as one of your “acceptable” safety certifications and there may be some local options available that meet your criteria as well.

Having said that … while other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

Phoenix