Recommended Latex Topper

Hi, I’ve needed a new bed for over a year now (sleeping on my couch cushions ; ). I think I’ve decided to try a really good, soft, latext topper in conjunction with a really good quality innerspring mattress with minimal foam as the support/base. I’m hoping this will give the support + comfort I’ve been needing. It will go on my solid platform base (thick, solid plywood).

• So first question: Any recommendations for a great, soft 3" queen latex topper?

I know most places don’t offer a return policy, which makes me pretty nervous as I won’t really know if it’s right until sleeping on it a few days. But I’ll be stuck.

Some preferences:

• Should be pretty soft, as I’m exclusively a side sleeper and pretty thin, so no ‘natural’ padding. I turn over frequently now with pressure-point pain.
  • Needs to have a good cover (cotton? bamboo?)
  • Want really good quality with good warranty or reputation. A return policy would be great, but I’m guessing this won’t be possible.
  • I live is SoCal if that makes a difference (shipping costs).
  • I would like to spend less than $400 total if possible, closer to $300 would be great.

Thanks a lot. I’m hoping to get this soon and just start with it on my cushions as I try to find a mattress to go with it.

Hi jethrodesign,

There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to make specific suggestions for a mattress or a topper based on a formula, specs (either yours or a mattress or topper) or "theory at a distance but post #2 here and the topper guidelines and other posts it links to includes the guidelines and sources I would use that can help you choose a latex topper that has the best chance of success and the least possible risk.

Phoenix

OK, thanks for the direction. I understand it can be difficult to give specific advice without a more direct connection. Although I have definitely encountered some consistencies in recommendations and reviews of certain basic ‘types’ (e.g., a good quality Talalay latex can be soft, fairly durable and provide great pressure-point relief). I guess I was just trying to narrow down the choices, as I haven’t had much luck finding much variety locally, and even when I have I can’t tell the subtle differences in a few minutes on one or the other.

So maybe someone can give any insight on a couple that I’ve narrowed down in my research?!? I know nobody can say ‘it will be right for you’, but maybe they can at least say whether they had a good experience with the manufacturer/retailer/type, or what the differences might be?!?

OPTION 1: Rejuvinate 3" Talalay Latex Topper (by Latex Intntl); 19ILD; $377 at Mattresses.net

OPTION 2: 100% Natural 3" Talalay Latex Topper; 22-24ILD; $365 at Flexus Comfort

Thanks!

Hi jethrodesign,

Both Mattresses.net and Flexus comfort are members of this site which means that think highly of both of them and they are both knowledgeable and reliable manufacturers that provide great service to their customers.

There is more about the differences between different types and blends of latex in post #6 here but 100% natural Talalay is a little more costly material and will be a bit firmer and more “supportive” and heavier but also a little less pressure relieving than blended Talalay in the same ILD but many people wouldn’t notice much difference with only a 3" layer if the ILD was the same.

The 22-24 ILD would be a bit firmer than the 19 ILD both because it’s a higher ILD and because it’s 100% natural but they are both in the “soft” range at least by most people’s definitions of soft.

They both have good quality covers but the covers with Flexus are zip covers and the cover with the Rejuvenite doesn’t have a zipper.

If you like the feel of Talalay latex and a 3" topper would be appropriate for you based on your mattress and the topper guidelines (“a fair bit to a lot” of additional softness and pressure relief) then both of them would work well “on average” for most people in average weight ranges so your choice would really be based on “best judgement” and on how you feel about the difference in the blends of the latex, in the firmness levels, and of course on your conversations with each of them on the phone.

Phoenix

How thin is thin? I’m 105 lb and found a natural latex topper in the 22ILD range I tried too firm for side sleeping. My husband who is tall and lanky at 180 lb found it to be just right.