Recreating Beauty Rest?

6 months ago my husband and I purchased an inexpensive mattress from Sam’s. It was way too firm for us and I could feel the softening on each side with a harder spot in the middle. We sent it back and ordered a Casper. I feel like I sink through the soft latex layer into a brick. I ordered a soft latex topper for it and it feels so much better. I am planning to send the Casper back and order an all latex mattress. I went to Sears to lay on a few and make sure I didn’t want memory foam. I layed on a Beauty Rest Black Natasha. Wow-that soft top felt great. Is it possible to recreate that thick soft top while still getting some support with latex?

Hi jrcarlisle,

The Beauty Rest Black Natasha contains much lower quality/density materials than I would suggest in the durability guidelines here that are much more likely to soften and break down prematurely so I would certainly avoid it.

There is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting materials) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” so unless you are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials, components, cover and quilting, layer thicknesses, layer firmnesses, and overall design (which would be very unlikely) then there really isn’t a reliable way to match one mattress to another one in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) based on the specifications of the mattresses (even assuming that you can find out all the specifications you would need for both mattresses you are comparing in the first place).

There are some very soft versions of latex but an all latex mattress is a completely different design than the Beauty Rest Black Natasha so while there may be some all latex mattresses that are just as suitable for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) and would be much more durable than the Beauty Rest Black Natasha … they would also have a different “feel” and the only reliable way to know how another mattress that is in a completely different category and has a completely different design would compare to the Beauty Rest Black Natasha (or any other mattress that was that different) would be based on your own testing in a store or your own personal experience when you sleep on it.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

As cushy as the beauty rest felt in store, I was definitely not paying that price. I would really just love to have a mattress with a thick soft top. My zip code is 75650

Hi jrcarlisle,

I would be very cautious with mattresses that have a “thick soft top” because they can be risky both in terms of keeping you in good alignment and in terms of durability.

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your criteria and the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Hallsville, TX area are in the Tyler, TX list in post #2 here.

There are also some very good options available in the Dallas/ Ft Worth region in post #4 here that would be well worth considering but of course it’s farther away and would involve a longer drive.

Phoenix