reduced... must sell! :) 100% Natural Latex 9" SKYBED and FOUNDATION

Hi all,

Like many of you, my husband and I shopped, shopped, and shopped some more looking for a 100% natural latex mattress. This was 4 years ago. After reading reviews and evaluating many options out there, we decided on purchasing our King set from HABITAT FURNISHINGS, which I’m sure if you’ve done as much research as we did, you have heard of them!

We purchased their top-of-the-line 9" King size Skybed and matching foundation. My husband then got a job offer, and 6 months later we sold our house and moved. Our new accommodations are a Motor Home (we now have a job we love and travel for a living). The only unfortunate drawback to a motorhome is the bed will not fit. So only 6 months after buying this brand new set, we had to put it into storage. It has been there since, practically brand new!

I found this website online, and wrote to the owner of thematressunderground.com, and she gave me permission to post this for sale. I cannot even believe I am selling this bed… it was absolutely the most comfortable bed we’ve ever owned. So here goes the description:

• Company we purchased from: www.habitatfurnshings.com

• Name of Bed: Habitat Sky Bed 9" All Natural Latex Mattress

• Foundation: King Size EZ Sleep Foundation

• Features And Benefits of The Habitat SkyBedÂŽ 9" Natural Latex Mattress:

• Our "over the top", plusher, most luxurious model, offering resilient, buoyant support

• No bottoming out, no dipping, no rutting

• 100% Premium Botanical Latex, no synthetic urethane foam

• Our proprietary chemical free cotton and wool outer cover

• Non-Formaldehyde, water based adhesive used to laminate layers. Safe, non-toxic

Link to exact bed: (Note: You have to scroll down to find 9" Skybed!)

www.habitatfurnishings.com/latex_mattress.html

HERE IS OUR OFFER TO SELL:

• We paid $2,199 for this bed. We have included a copy of our actual invoice on this post, so you can see.

• The price for latex has INCREASED in the last several years, and this SAME EXACT BED now sells $2,748! Right off the bat, that saves you $549.

• We used this only for 6 months, and has been tucked away in storage since. We paid $2,200 for it, and will take $1,500 for the Latex Mattress and Foundation.

• If you went today to buy this bed brand new at habitat furnishings today, it would be $2,748. We are asking $1,500, which saves you $1,248 just for the bed being used 6 months!! I am excited for whomever finds this deal.

OK, LET’S TALK ABOUT A USED MATTRESS:

• I myself am finicky, and would probably think… hey wait a minute, this is a used mattress. Well to put your mind at ease:

• From the minute the mattress was delivered and set up, it had the protective mattress cover on it. At no time was this mattress ever used without the mattress cover in place. It looks just like the day we got it!

• Something that someone once told me that may help you if you’re thinking about it not being brand new: We ALL sleep on used mattresses every time we go to a hotel.

• And the last thing I’ll say is that this mattress has been in storage for a few years. Unused during that time.

Final thoughts…
The mattress is in Daytona Beach Florida. I don’t really think this thing could be shipped because it’s so large. This would be something you could combine a road trip for the weekend to Daytona, and pick up your new bed at the same time! LOL If you would like to look into getting it shipped, I would be willing to explore that too.

I would be more than happy to answer any additional questions and discuss the details further with you. Message me and I’ll give you my cell phone.

Thanks! I am Happy if a $1,200 savings will help someone else out !

Laura

I forgot to include the link to the mattress. Here it is (don’t forget, you have to scroll down past the less premium mattresses, and further down on the page you will see 9" SKYBED 100% NATURAL LATEX)

http://www.habitatfurnishings.com/latex_mattress.html

I had this at $1,500 with the foundation.

I no longer have the foundation, and will remove $250 because of that.

I will also reduce the mattress by an additional $250, as I NEED TO GET IT SOLD so we can move into a smaller storage unit.

[size=5]WAS $ 1,500.00

NOW $ 998.00[/size] :woohoo:

Remember, this mattress is being sold right now at www.habitatfurnishings.com for $2,748 !!!
You will be saving: $ 1,750.00 !!

Hi Laura_Florida,

[quote]Remember, this mattress is being sold right now at www.habitatfurnishings.com for $2,748 !!!
You will be saving: $ 1,750.00 !![/quote]

Just for clarification … their king size Skybed is currently selling for $2349 (mattress only).

I would also keep in mind that their “regular” price is also higher than other latex options available to the members here so a comparison with their regular price may not be as good a basis for comparison as other mattresses that use the same or similar materials in a similar design and sell for less than the Skybed.

Phoenix

Hi Laura,

Just because I enjoy negotiating, and I think your advertising methods are inaccurate… Let’s be clear about the state of your offer:

Your current offer is to sell a used 9" king mattress only, no warranty, no return policy, no delivery, for $998.00

Habitat furnishings is selling a new, seemingly identical 9" king mattress only, 365 day cash back comfort guarantee / warranty, free delivery, for $2349.00.

At best, you’re saving $1,350 and not $1,750. You removed the foundarion and offered a $250 value, when the retailer assigns a $400 value for the same, and are advertising your price without foundation vs theirs with. Also, the subject line is misleading by saying that foundation is included.

Phoenix and dn,

Thank you for your corrections on my mis-calculations! You are indeed correct.

Since you both seem to have much more knowledge in this area than me, could you please help me by stating what YOU think a fair price would be if in my situation?

I would sincerely appreciate it, as my enthusiasm isn’t intended to mis-lead, only to get this mattress sold so I can downsize into a smaller storage unit by 2-15-2014.

Thanks in advance. Also, please let me know if you have any other advice. This mattress is exactly as I said it is, and will be a great deal for some one.

Laura

Hi Laura,

I don’t know the used bed market at all… I’m just a very detail oriented guy who enjoys negotiating, and so a post with inaccurate details screams for me to post something :wink: You can imagine, sales guys either love working with me, or hate it, depending on if they get to showcase their expert knowledge and professionalism, or are trying to ‘blow smoke’, respectively.

I’d probably consult kijiji or similar local classifieds to see what the going rate seems to be.

If you asked me to make a wild guess, I’d venture to guess somewhere in the $400-800 range, more if you get lucky and your item matches identical to what someone wants, lower if you just need to dispose of it. But that’s just wild speculation, I don’t generally buy used goods myself.

Hi Laura_Florida,

I don’t think there is a formula that can calculate this because it will really depend on the person and what they are willing to pay, on what else they have available and are comparing it to, their confidence that it will be a good match for them in terms of PPP (which they can test if they are local), their trust in you and it’s condition (which they can also assess to some degree if they are local based on post #2 here although your mattress doesn’t have a zip cover that they can look inside it), and on the risk of having no options available (outside of selling it again) if it turns out that the mattress isn’t a good match for them or if there is a defect in the materials.

Each person will have a different idea of “fair value” depending on their own personal value equation

Of course the number of responses would also depend on how many people that are within reasonable driving distance see your post.

In other words … it’s really a matter of how broad your audience is and on the “value” of the mattress based on the specific criteria of a potential buyer. I would also consider listing the mattress on Craigs List (for people you don’t know) or on any social media sites you belong to (for people you do know) as well. On this site most of the members here are more informed and will be comparing what you are selling to some very good value new mattresses which of course would reduce the price they are willing to pay for a used one.

Phoenix

dn,

Ah, so you’re just messin’ with me, with no intention of buying anything! Sales must be slow for you if you are spending your time trolling posts just wasting time :whistle:

Regardless, here are the FACTS:

• I have attached my ACTUAL receipt showing how much I paid

• If someone were to buy this new today, latex HAS INCREASED SIGNIFICANTLY in price since my purchase

• Other folks have sold used mattresses on here, so why are you bringing up there would be no 1 year guarantee, etc? That is the case with MOST used products being sold by an individual, and is a trade-off for a M-U-C-H lower price

Anyone reading this who would like to make a reasonable offer, I will consider it.

Thanks.

Laura

Hi Laura_Florida,

I certainly wouldn’t consider dn’s posts to be anything but helpful and educational and he is one of the more informed and knowledgeable members of the forum.

Don’t forget that this is a forum that is designed to help inform and educate the members here so they can make better choices and it’s not designed to be a marketplace for selling mattresses … used or otherwise. What is posted here is always open for comment and discussion just like the mattresses that are sold by a retailer or manufacturer are discussed in more detail.

I should also mention that dn isn’t in the industry (except as an educated consumer) and isn’t selling anything.

Phoenix

Phoenix, It didn’t appear that way.

Doesn’t matter, because I just sold it !

All of this activity must have pushed my post to the top, so thank you!!!

Hi Laura_Florida,

That’s good news … and I’m glad that you were successful :slight_smile:

Phoenix

[quote=“Laura_Florida” post=31682]dn,

Ah, so you’re just messin’ with me, with no intention of buying anything! Sales must be slow for you if you are spending your time trolling posts just wasting time :whistle:
[/quote]

I do enjoy the hunt, if you will - nevertheless it is true that I have no intention of buying. I find posting here relaxing, I am not in sales and don’t work in the bedding industry at all :wink:

You’re welcome to sell at whatever price you can get… Such is the relationship between buyers and sellers. However, there are people like me that enjoy making sure what’s being sold is accurately and clearly represented.