Regalis--- New Matress or Topper

Hi all,

I lurked here about 4 years ago and the information was great in helping me choose a bed. I’ve given it too long (and nagging by my girlfriend) to decide that the bad is too firm. Nothing really wrong with it, just too firm. When I looked, I remember I liked the select foam cirrus and cirrus luxe but chose the regalis thinking “firmer is better” and it would soften up. Definitely a mistake.

Now I’m in the situation of, add a topper or look for a new mattress.

I thought I would get suggestions on those options. And if topper, is there any one/brand in particular that is now better for toppers? I’m about 170 lbs and my girlfriend is 105.

I see that select foam is no longer recommended here, and even there website seems to have been taken down. Though, Brickell Matress, where I bought it, does seem to still be in business.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Spenn55,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

As long as your mattress is still supportive and not showing any excessive body impressions or sagging (which I believe it is not based upon your comments), choosing a topper is an effective, economical, and for some people preferable manner in which to create a more plush surface comfort to an existing mattress.

Take a look at the information in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to that will help you use your actual sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline for choosing the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that would have the least possible risk and best chance of success.

Yes, they had their membership revoked due to issues with service, and they have since gone out of business.

Phoenix

Thanks! …

Since pricing wasn’t all that different, I went out to bed bath and beyond (so returns are easy if we don’t like it) and grabbed the tempurpedic supreme topper. I know from reading here, that their quality is solid, maybe not as good as some of the independents and probably slightly more expensive than them for the same product but I figured with the 20% off BBB coupon and their return policy, why not.

I’m not sure if it has fully expanded but one of the sides seems to have a curve in it, and the dimensions are about 1 inch narrower at points then the box claims.

If it doesn’t work out, i’ll return it and check out bestmatress which I saw was recommended as a south carolina local company.

Thanks again.

Hi Spen55,

I don’t have any information on the density of the topper offered at Bed Bath and Beyond from Tempurpedic, so I can’t make any comments on the quality of that product. Tempurpedic shares very little information about their foams. Most of their mattresses use better quality memory foam (although some offerings are now using less dense memory foams in some of their layers), so while the quality can be good, their pricing tends to be on the higher end of the scale. The Bed Bath and Beyond site had no information about the topper that was useful for me to comment for you as well.

Hopefully after a few more days the product will have expanded to the full dimensions.

Congratulations on your new topper! :cheer:

Phoenix

Well… Actually… Stamped on the box was either 27 or 29 lbs (dont remember which, i’ll have to check when I’m home)

80inchx60inchx3inch brings this to 3.3 or 3.5 lbs density.

But this just means its soft… doesn’t mean low quality, right???

Just checked… is indeed 29 lbs.

Hi Spen55,

[quote]Well… Actually… Stamped on the box was either 27 or 29 lbs (dont remember which, i’ll have to check when I’m home)
80inchx60inchx3inch brings this to 3.3 or 3.5 lbs density.
But this just means its soft… doesn’t mean low quality, right???[/quote]
This would equate to approximately 3.5 lb. density (assuming the weight is not including the weight of the covering). This is lower than I would normally recommend for a memory foam topper (4 lb. is usually the minimum), but you could certainly try it out and see what you think.

The density is more of an indication of quality and not softness. Some of the less dense memory foams will actually be “firmer feeling” than some of the more dense ones, as the dense ones allow for a more gentle sinking in once they acclimate to your body temperature.

Phoenix

We’ve slept on the Tempur Supreme two nights now. It is definitely super plush. You sink right in.

I did stop by our local factory direct “bestmattress” in Columbia, SC today to see what they might have. Super nice people, family run.

They do not have a “stock” topper but said they could certainly do a piece of 4lb foam 3inch and the approx price he gave was less than 1/2 of what the tempur cost.

RH, the 4th generation owner, gave me a piece of 1" polyfoam for free and suggested I place it under the mattress as it would help soften up.

Also, in case anyone reads this, it looks like the company that manufactured my select foam mattress (according to the tag) is AeroFoam out of tampa. Their website indicates they have a mattress brand called “elation” but the only thing I find on the net with that name is Sealy. So i’m not sure?

—One question I do have in case I go back for the memory foam piece. Does anyone know the specs of the regalis? Only thing I could find says " 12" Total Profile, - 1.8" 8lb SELECT-HD Comfort Layer - 2.2" 5.3lb SELECT Support Layer" but that only accounts for 4 inches of the 12.

Thanks again all!

Hi Spen55,

You’d have to contact Allied Aerofoam and ask if they supply any retailers in your area with their consumer memory foam products, which they call their Elation line, but which could possibly be produced under many private label names. Select Foam used different fabricators for their foam mattresses.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: alliedaerofoam.com/elation.html

From 2014, I have:
Comfort Layers
1.5" 7.2 lb memory foam
2.5" 5.3 lb gel memory foam
Support System
8" Polyfoam base layer with air channels (they will provide the density but I believe it’s higher than the 2.0 lb Tempurpedic uses).

Phoenix

Thanks! Really appreciate all the help. Hopefully this thread will help someone else in the future too…

We’ve decided to return the Tempur Supreme Topper— it’s just too soft and you sink straight through.

The 1" polyfoam RH (at best mattress) gave me didn’t seem to do much if anything, probably not surprising now that I know there were already 8" of it in the mattress.

I’ll go back and make sure their supplier is certi-pur and see what their recommendation on thickness and density would be, as well as placement of above or below the mattress. Keeping in mind that its currently about 2" of 7-8lb on top of 2" of 5.3.

What would you recommend in those regards?

Lastly, Is this (and the walmarts/ sleep creations etc. ) the same as the Aerus toppers on rockymountain listed for more than twice the price? Or is there something different about them?

vs: rockymountainmattress.com/memory-foam-mattress-toppers/aerus-plus-memory-foam-5lb/

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3-Aerus-Natural-Memory-Foam-Topper-w-300TC-Sateen-Cover/11030693

vs: rockymountainmattress.com/memory-foam-mattress-toppers/aerus-memory-foam-natural-4lb/

Really do appreciate the help… Thanks!

Hi Spen55,

I’m sorry you didn’t like your topper, but at least you were able to return it.

I’m not surprised that only 1" of polyfoam wouldn’t be noticeable, especially if placed deeper in the mattress.

I’d have no idea of what you might find comfortable, as all I can focus on it “how” to choose. There are entirely too many individual preferences and variables involved for me to make comfort choices for others. I will tell you that about 4" of memory foam in an upper layer is the most I generally recommend, but people with specific comfort needs certainly have layered more than that. If you’re looking for a softer feel on top, layers placed closer to the skin will certainly make the most difference. If you want a bit more resiliency on top but still plushness, you may wish to investigate something along the lines of a plush 2" or so Talalay topper, as this is a combination that manufacturers and many DIYers have arranged before and I personally think it has a great feel. But that’s just me “talking out loud”.

I don’t know if there is a specific formulation that Sam’s Club / WalMart specifies for these foam toppers, or if they have some sort of an “exclusive” spec, like many large retailers demand from foam/mattress companies. The best source for that information would be Rocky Mountain Mattress themselves.

Phoenix