Regretted buying a Dormeo 6700, need some help!

Hi Everyone,

New here. I regret not doing proper research before making a significant purchase. Brought a dormeo 6700 mattress for $1900 CAD. There is no refunds as well. I feel ripped off… Not sure if the mattress is worth it. It is memory foam but there aren’t much reviews.

Anyways, damage has been done. I am looking to get a bed frame for it. Are there anything specific I should look out for? Or would a typical ikea frame work?

Thank you for the help!

Hi Rollins,

I’m sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the Dormeo mattress you purchased.

A mattress with a polyfoam support core (regardless of the material in the comfort layers) will generally do best with a firm, flat, and evenly supportive support surface underneath it that has minimal to no flex under the mattress and for larger sizes with at least one center support beam that has good support to the floor to prevent any sagging in the middle of the mattress. The components (either a bedframe and foundation or a platform bed) need to be strong and durable enough to support the weight of the mattress and the people sleeping on it without some of the parts bending, sagging, shifting, or breaking with extended use. The support surface under the mattress (which may be slats or a solid surface or a steel or wire grid) should have enough surface area to prevent the mattress from sagging through any gaps or spaces in the support surface over time but still allow some airflow under the mattress. If a foundation has a slatted surface then I would suggest that the gaps between any slats are no more than about 5" (with 1 x 3 slats) although less than 4" would be better yet.

Having said that … some manufacturers have specific criteria that they require to meet their warranty conditions which may be different from these more general guidelines and in this case you should always follow the manufacturers recommendations.

Dormeo is one of these … probably because their base layers include foam cylinders instead of solid layers of foam … and their warranty page here says …

The Ikea bed bases have a slatted support surface and Dormeo specifies a solid surface so I would check with Dormeo to make sure that any specific Ikea bedframe and foundation or platform bed you are considering wouldn’t invalidate your warranty. It’s possible that the Lonset may be acceptable because the slats are very close together but you would need to check with them to make sure.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix,

Mine is a queen size. I watched a youtube video and i think it is around 12.5 inch profile?

I don’t think I will go back to sleep country to buy their “approved” sets since they are probably overpriced.
Do you have any cost effective recommendations for what to put the mattress on?

Also, can you tell me what a similiar mattress to the dormeo 6700 would cost? Please be honest, I really want to know how much I lost!

Thanks a lot for your help!

Hi Rollins2016,

There is more information about the different support systems (bedframes and foundations or platform beds) that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses and some examples of each of them in post #1 here but most of them have a slatted support surface so you may need to modify them and add some plywood on top of them so that the support surface is solid.

I don’t know the specs of the Dormeo 6700 and they don’t list them on their website and I also don’t know of any other mattress that is similar so there isn’t another mattress to compare it to that I could use as a frame of reference. There are certainly other good quality memory foam mattresses that are in lower budget ranges but they also have a completely different design with different materials and components so they wouldn’t be apples to apples comparisons.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While price is certainly important of course … the “value” of a mattress purchase is what is most important and price is just one of many factors that can affect the “value” of a mattress purchase. There isn’t a “formula” that can be used to assess or “calculate” the value of a mattress because there are so many different variables and criteria involved that can affect the price of a mattress that can each be more or less important to some people and not to others who may have completely different criteria or definitions of “value”. The value of a mattress purchase is also relative to how a mattress compares to the other finalists you are considering or to other mattresses that are available to you in your area (or online if you are also considering online options). There are many reasons that a mattress that may be “good value” for one person or in one area of the country may not be good value for someone else that has very different needs and preferences or that lives in a different area.

How well are you sleeping on your mattress?

Phoenix

This is the only video I found with some info.
Wish they were more transparent.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: youtube.com/watch?v=AFvHtjK7nxw

I have not received the mattress yet. I went with my fiancee to try the bed at sleep country. It seemed comfortable to us, but that was only based on our initial try.,

Hi Rollins2016,

Unfortunately the video doesn’t contain any meaningful information about the density and durability of the layers and components in the mattress.

There are a few comments about the previous Octaspring 9500 in post #2 here which was somewhat similar although I believe it had one additional ecocell layer but I don’t know the specifics of the current line so you would need to call Dormeo and ask them for the thickness and density of each of the layers in the mattress because it’s unlikely that Sleep Country will provide you with the information you need to make an informed choice. It’s also possible that Dormeo may not provide it either.

If you can find out the thickness and density of all the layers and components in the 6700 and post them on the forum I’d be happy let you know if there are any lower quality materials or weak links that would be a reason for concern.

I know that once you’ve purchased a mattress that Sleep Country only allows exchanges and doesn’t have a return/refund policy but I’m not sure if you are able to cancel an order with Sleep Country if it hasn’t been delivered. If you can return it for a refund I would avoid buying any mattress if there are lower quality/density or any “unknown density” materials in the mattress that would be a reason for concern in terms of the durability and useful life of the mattress.

Phoenix

I’m very interested in the review from Rollins2016 as we too just placed a “fully refundable” deposit (not full payment) on the Dormeo 6700.

I wanted to do more research when I got home and this is the only place where I’ve seen the 6700 referenced.

Rollins2016 - Please let us know your experience!

FishMan

Hi Fisherbrains,

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular store or business can certainly be very helpful … I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress so I would be very cautious about about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

A good retailer that is transparent about the materials and components in their mattress should be able to easily provide you with all the information you need about the quality and durability of the materials and components in a mattress to make an informed choice but if for any reason the retailer you are dealing with is either unwilling or unable to provide you with all the information you need to to confirm there are no lower quality/density materials or weak links in any mattress you are considering then I would avoid the mattress completely because the risk of premature foam softening and breakdown that leads to the loss of comfort and/or support and the need to replace the mattress much too quickly would be too high.

Phoenix

What worries me is exactly how little clear information exists on this model vs what’s on the Dormeo website directly. We didn’t evaluate clearly our return options (should we take delivery) and all of this basically has spooked both of us for this level of investment.

As a risk taker I’m willing to look at any of the online latex and/or memory foam retailers, but there’s not a ton of guidance out there for us to follow.

Hi Fisherbrains,

The Dormeo website also doesn’t contain any meaningful information about the density of the polyfoam and memory foam layers and components in their mattresses either so you would need to find out all the information here to confirm there are no lower quality materials or weak links that could compromise the durability or useful life of any of their mattresses … not just the models that are sold at Sleep Country.

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well he will sleep), durability (how long he will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

If you are considering online options then the mattress shopping tutorial includes several links to lists of many of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) that include many different types and categories of mattresses that use different materials and components in a wide range of designs, budgets, firmness levels, and with different return/exchange policies that may be well worth considering.

There may also be some good options available to you locally that you can test in person before a purchase and if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area as well.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
I’m catching up in reading the tutorials, etc as we go. B)

Part of our challenge is the dearth of obvious “smaller” shops in the Vancouver, British Columbia area and the (over?)abundance of the standard manufacturers as well as Kingsdown which appears to have the same or worse quality issues as the rest. Occasionally there’s a “lifestyle” mattress shop like https://www.myessentia.com featuring an organic mattress solution which while altruistic sets off warning bells in my head as well as dizziness at to the >$3000 price points (we’re looking for a king).

Any local suggestions would be appreciated!

Hi Fisherbrains,

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your criteria and the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around Vancouver, BC are listed in post #2 here.

There are some comments about Essentia and some of the misleading claims they make and some forum discussions with them (as well as some of the FTC issues they have had about their claims) in this thread and this thread and posts #3 and #4 here). Some of the discussion in this topic may be helpful as well. I certainly wouldn’t treat the information on their website (or on some of the other websites I’ve seen that write about them either) as a reliable source of “fact based” information and I would also make some very careful “value” comparisons before considering any Essentia mattress because they do tend to be in a higher budget range than other mattresses that use similar materials.

Phoenix

I am back with good news! Turns out I can refund it before its shipped (next Tues)

I will most likely do that because we are on a tighter budget.

Phoneix, any recommendations for a firmer memory foam bed (queen) around Richmond Hill, ON?

Thank you so much!

Hi Rollins2016,

[quote]I am back with good news! Turns out I can refund it before its shipped (next Tues)

I will most likely do that because we are on a tighter budget.[/quote]

I would agree that’s good news … especially if they aren’t able to provide you with all the information you need about the density of all the layers and components in the mattress.

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your criteria and the quality/value guidelines here … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Toronto, ON area are listed in post #1 here.

I don’t keep a record of the individual mattresses or their specs that the retailers and manufacturers in the hundreds of forum lists throughout the forum carry on their floor or have available online (it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market) but checking their websites and making some preliminary phone calls to the retailers/manufacturers that are on the local lists is always a good idea before you decide on which retailers or manufacturers you wish to deal with anyway. This will tell you which of them carry mattresses that would meet your specific criteria, are transparent about the materials in their mattresses, and that carry the type of mattresses that you are interested in that are also in the budget range you are comfortable with. Once you have checked their websites and/or talked with the ones that interest you then you will be in a much better position to decide on the ones that you are most interested in considering or visiting based on the results of your preliminary research and conversations.

Phoenix

Thanks!

I will check out foamite as that is the store nearest to us

I am back! Ended up purchasing http://tonfurniture.com/omega-latex/

I was able to get the refund, even though it was quite a hassle.
I also got this info about the layers from Doremo
1.TOP LAYER: Phase Change Material on the top of a Supreme AirCool Memory Foam Comfort layer with gel and air pockets to give it more responsiveness and coolness than traditional memory foam.

1. MIDDLE LAYERS: Two Octaspring layers below the Comfort Layer

• the first layer is NOT foam encased because it needs to breathe to aide in temperature control
    • the second Octaspring Layer is foam encased for added support
  2. BOTTOM LAYER: Firm foam Support Core

Hi Rollins2016,

That’s good to hear.

[quote]I also got this info about the layers from Doremo
1.TOP LAYER: Phase Change Material on the top of a Supreme AirCool Memory Foam Comfort layer with gel and air pockets to give it more responsiveness and coolness than traditional memory foam.

1. MIDDLE LAYERS: Two Octaspring layers below the Comfort Layer
  • the first layer is NOT foam encased because it needs to breathe to aide in temperature control
  • the second Octaspring Layer is foam encased for added support
  1. BOTTOM LAYER: Firm foam Support Core [/quote]

As you probably know from the previous replies in the topic … this doesn’t contain any meaningful information that would be helpful to you because it’s missing the thickness and density of the foam layers which is the information that you really need to know.

Hopefully you were able to find out all the information that you need to know to confirm that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the Omega mattress either but assuming that you did … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Rollins, I’m curious what you didn’t like about the Dormeo 6700? I just put a deposit on one. My husband and I bought the Simmons Beautyrest TruEnergy exactly 2 years ago and I never liked it from the get-go but my husband did…until recently. It’s the worst mattress in the world, by body has been in pain and numb since we bought it. Mattresses are an investment so I’m not happy we have to spend the money to buy another one but want to make sure we buy the right one. The Dormeo 6700 ticket price is over $4000 and Sleep Country is offering it to us for just over $2000. Crazy mark-up but it sounds like at $1900 you got a very good deal. Thanks for your input in advance.

Hi Fisherbrains,

I’m wondering if you ended up buying the Dormeo 6700, and if so, what you think of it? I too just put a deposit on one. Rollins really didn’t specify what he didn’t like about it except for the price and in my opinion, he got a great deal at $1900.

Hi Antbean,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular store or business can certainly be very helpful, I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress so I would be very cautious about using the comments of Rollins, Fisherbrains, or anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect (or horrible) choice for them or even a larger group of people in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here), so I would always use caution when considering them.

While nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

As you may be aware from reading this thread, the Dormeo website doesn’t contain any meaningful information about the density of the polyfoam and memory foam layers and components in their mattresses, so I hope you found out all the information here to confirm there are no lower quality materials or weak links that could compromise the durability or useful life of the mattress you ordered.

The 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses would be suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Phoenix