reliable mattress on the budget for a daybed ???

Hi Arrielle,

I would follow the same process to choose a twin mattress for a daybed as I would for choosing any other twin mattress except I would add a few things to your testing.

The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice ā€¦ and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure youā€™ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of ā€œcomfortā€ and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesnā€™t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

When you are sitting on a mattress your weight will be much more concentrated than when you are lying on a mattress and you will tend to sink in more deeply when you are sitting so if you are using a mattress as a daybed where you will be sitting more frequently then I would also make sure you add an additional ā€œSā€ to your regular testing for PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) because you will also need to test the mattress for how well it works for you when you are sitting in addition to testing the mattress for sleeping in all your sleeping positions. In other words you will be testing for PPP + ā€œSā€ (sitting).

If you are often using the mattress for sitting as well then edge support would probably be more important to you so I would make sure that you test for this as well.

As with any mattress purchase I would make sure that your mattress uses good quality and durable materials ā€¦ especially in the upper comfort layers ā€¦ so that the areas you sit in most frequently donā€™t soften or break down too quickly.

Foam mattresses will tend to be more ā€œpoint elasticā€ which means that they can sink in more deeply with the more concentrated weight of sitting so I would make sure that you include some innerspring mattresses in your research so that you can see and feel the difference between firmer innersprings and mattresses that use either firmer polyfoam or latex in the support core of the mattress.

You will likely need a support core (innerspring or polyfoam or even latex depending on your preferences) that is a little firmer than normal to keep you from sinking in too much when you are sitting and then you will need comfort layers that are ā€œjust enoughā€ in terms of thickness and softness so that they will relieve pressure points in all your sleeping positions when you are lying down and sleeping on the mattress so that you donā€™t sink into the mattress too much when you are sitting.

I would also keep the height of your daybed and mattress in mind so that the surface of your mattress isnā€™t too high or too low for you to sit comfortably.

If you let me know your city or zip code Iā€™d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix,
Thank you so much for taking the time to give me all these details.
Recently I bought an Orthopedic Extra Firm Full bed from Original Mattress Factory, but I cannot move the bed in my new place, so I left it in my sisterā€™s house.

I will live in my new place for one, maximum two years and because I do not have room for my full bed I need to purchase a twin daybed ( this is what my new room would accommodate the best.)

I live in Woodstock GA (30189).
I would like something of similar quality but a little cheaper. This is the second bed I have to buy in two years and I have already payed more than I afforded the first time.

Thank you.
Ariel

Hi Arriele,

[quote]I live in Woodstock GA (30189).
I would like something of similar quality but a little cheaper. This is the second bed I have to buy in two years.[/quote]

The better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of within about 100 miles of Atlanta, GA. area (subject to making sure that any specific mattress meets the quality/value guidelines I linked previously) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix.
It would be great if you could recommend me product so I am avoiding the pain of checking every website and making a decision about a product that I cannot see. I would not have time to visit every store you mentioned and try their beds.

Thank you anyway.

Hi Arrielle,

I donā€™t make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or materials because the first ā€œruleā€ of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components would be the best ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of ā€œcomfortā€ or PPP or how a mattress will ā€œfeelā€ to you based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or ā€œtheory at a distanceā€ that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I can certainly help you to narrow down your options, help you focus on better quality/value choices that are available to you either locally or online, help you identify any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress you may be considering, act as a fact check, answer any specific questions you may have along the way that I am able to help with, and help with ā€œhowā€ to choose but only you can decide which specific mattress is the best match for you based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

I donā€™t keep a record of the individual mattresses that the retailers and manufacturers in the hundreds of forum lists throughout the forum carry on their floor (it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market) but checking the websites and making some preliminary phone calls to the retailers/manufacturers that are on the list that are in reasonable driving distance is always a good idea before you visit any store. This will tell you which of them carry mattresses that would meet your specific criteria, are transparent about the quality and durability of the materials in their mattresses (see this article), and carry the type of mattresses that you are interested in testing in the budget range you are comfortable with. Once you have checked their websites and/or talked with the ones that interest you then you will be in a much better position to decide on a few that you are most interested in visiting based on the results of your preliminary research and conversations.

These initial calls (some guidelines are in the post that is linked in step 3 of the tutorial) are one of the most important parts of the research process and will give you a good indication of the type of knowledge and service you are likely to encounter at the stores you decide to visit and can save you a significant amount of time and frustration compared with waiting until you visit them only to find out that they donā€™t carry any mattresses that you are interested in that are in your budget range, arenā€™t particularly knowledgeable or helpful, or that they either canā€™t or wonā€™t provide you with the information you need to make an informed choice.

The knowledge, experience, transparency, and guidance of the retailer or manufacturers that you decide to deal with can be one of the most important parts of a successful mattress purchase.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix
I guess I have to do the work, after all :slight_smile:
Thanks for the websites and good pieces of advice.

Hi Arrielle,

Iā€™m looking forward to finding what you end up deciding ā€¦ and of course any other comments or questions you may have along the way that I can help with.

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix,

I decided to buy a mattress form Original Mattress Factory,
Regency Sapphire

and a daybed from Fashion Bed Group
Doral
http://www.lp-fb.com/category.asp?cid=7

.I saw both at the Original Mattress Factory store. The bed seems very sturdy - I have heard that these daybeds ( in the low cost range) are very flimsy,
And the mattressā€¦ itā€™s not their top of the line, but the better ones ( Orthopedic ones) are too think for the bed.

Do you have any info about the durability of this mattress?

To be honest I avoid internet reviews because every product on earth seems to get 90-95% of the maximum number of starts and the reviewers are happy with them. Sometimes I wonder if these reviews are honest.

Thank you so much for your time.

Did you get the poly deck unit (351P)? This will tend to be better for the mattress than the link spring (351).

Preaching to the choir - thatā€™s music to my ears.

Hi Arrielle,

[quote]I decided to buy a mattress form Original Mattress Factory,
Regency Sapphire
www.originalmattress.com/regency-mattres...fort-choices#regency[/quote]

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding ā€¦ and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I hope you have the chance to share your comments and feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep (and sit) on it for a bit.

I would need to know the information listed here to make any meaningful comments but if you can provide the information and post it on the forum Iā€™d be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials and the mattress as a whole. As far as I know OMF doesnā€™t use any polyfoam that is lower than 1.5 lb density so if this is the case then it would meet the quality/durability guidelines here for a two sided mattress (as long as you flip it on a regular basis ā€¦ see here) and there would be no weak links in the mattress.

You are preaching to another member of the same choir as Jeff when it comes to using mattress reviews as a reliable source of information about a mattress purchase which is why I so often warn against it (see post #13 here) :slight_smile:

Phoenix

[quote=ā€œMattressToGoā€]

Did you get the poly deck unit (351P)? This will tend to be better for the mattress than the link spring (351).

Thank you Jeff for your time.

I have not bought any product yet. I am just inquiring the market. Do you advise for the poly deck unit instead of a link spring? I thought that a link spring is more durable.
I saw today the poly deck unit and it is made of a fabric, attached to a wire by some springs / coils and has two metal bars that are supposed to support the mattress.

I am concerned about the following:

1. that the fabric is going to break relatively easy ( because of heat / humidity and weight. I weight 150 pounds)
  2. That I am going to feel the two metal bars that support the mattress. I plan to sit on the bed ( to read and write) not only to sleep (perfectly horizontal)

I can see that you know a lot about this bed. What do you recommend and why?

About internet reviewsā€¦ I am the old fashion type of person from an ā€œold fashionā€ country : I need to see / touch / feel what I buy.

Hello Phoenix,
I bought before another mattress from OMF and I liked it very much.
I would buy the same type for this daybed but it is too thick. I believe OMF makes decent products. At least the Luxury Orthopedic that I bought previously is very very comfortable AND with a lot of support, And does not heat your body :slight_smile:
Maybe they should pay me since I advertise their products that much .
:slight_smile:

I will place the order once I am sure which platform to use for the daybed: the spring link or the poly deck unit.

Hi arrielle,

[quote] I believe OMF makes decent products. At least the Luxury Orthopedic that I bought previously is very very comfortable AND with a lot of support, And does not heat your body :slight_smile:
Maybe they should pay me since I advertise their products that much .[/quote]

I certainly agree with you that OMF makes some good quality/value mattresses and they are also transparent about the materials they use inside them which is the reason that I include them as one of the better options or at least ā€œpossibilitiesā€ in all the forum lists where they have a local store.

Phoenix

[quote] decided to buy a mattress form Original Mattress Factory,
Regency Sapphire
www.originalmattress.com/regency-mattres...fort-choices#regency

and a daybed from Fashion Bed Group
Doral
www.lp-fb.com/category.asp?cid=7[/quote]
Sounded like you bought something already.

Iā€™ve always preferred the polydeck over the link. Both the link and the polydeck have the same two bars running from side to side and the same perimeter side rails - the difference is in the network placed on top. The polydeck is a canvas-type material that is very strong. It is quieter than the link spring and tends to flex less, and there is less chance of a snag. Link springs are a throwback item and really more appropriate for the older cotton mattresses for which they were more commonly used. Many of my clients find that both the polydecks and link spring units sag more in the middle than they prefer and they end up placing a sheet of plywood on top of them, or a Bunkie board. It would be up to your experience.

Hello Jeff,
I see what you are saying and it makes plenty sense.

On some reviews on Amazon someone was talking about this Doral Bed as having slats. Would bed stats be better than the polydeck or the link spring?
If yes, are you aware of any store that sells this bed with slats?

Thank you.

I personally would prefer a nice solid daybed using a well-secured slat network. This would provide a firm base for the mattress and also allow for air circulation.

There are thousands of daybeds out there and itā€™s not something I follow, so you might be able to get advice from others on the forum.

Hi Arrielle,

While Iā€™m even less familiar with the bedframe than Jeff ā€¦ as far as I know Leggett & Platt only supplies the linked spring or the polydeck options that Jeff mentioned (see here). I suspect that the comment in the reviews was probably referring to either a slatted bunkie board (see post #4 here and post #4 here for more about bunkie boards) or perhaps a slat roll such as this that they purchased separately (although if you were to use something like this you would need to make sure that they fit well and that they would stay secure on the bedframe without shifting).

Phoenix

Thank you Jeff and Phoenix. As soon as I buy the bed and I used for some weeks, I will post here a review and some pictures.
I believe others would benefit from it.

Hi! Renewing this topic from a few years ago, as many of the other daybed-related posts are at least as old, and Iā€™d love some updated suggestions/recommendations!

Briefly, we have a daybed for which we need a new twin mattress. This is going in the family/rec room so will be mostly used for extra seating, or when our pre-teen kid has friends sleeping over, for overflow at Thanksgiving, etcā€¦ We do have a dedicated ā€˜regularā€™ guest room, so weā€™re trying to keep the cost low with these usual uses in mind, and we donā€™t want it to be too thick (probably 8" max height, pref. closer to 6"). Iā€™d also like it to be light enough to be easily moved into another room, up the stairs, etcā€¦ I was considering DIY with 2 or 3 of the 2-3" latex toppers on top of each other, but wasnā€™t sure how practical that is for a daybed and how much edge support those would provide (which seems more important when itā€™s used for seating).

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hey Moonshadow,

Welcome to our mattress forum :).

Thanks for the post, I totally understand the ā€œusesā€ of this in the family/rec room. There are a few diff ways you could do this. But let me give you a couple of quick examples that would work great for this bed. If you wanted to use latex and keep in at 6" total, then I would use two 3" pieces. The bottom 3" would be ā€œfirmā€ and the top would be ā€œmediumā€ā€¦still great for sleeping but higher densities for lots of kids and other sitting on the bed. Something like 3" 36-40 ILD and 3" of 28 ild. If this is too expensive them you may use 3" poly foam 1.8lb or greater on the bottom and then put the 28 ILD latex on top of the foam. Any of the latex experts on our mattress membership listing would have the latex and the zipper covers for this.

My thoughts are very general, you could use more or less firm latex on any part of this, especially of its mostly pre-teens and then teens sleeping on it. For Durability reasons and used as a sitting place, I would tend to stay above 24 or above ild on the top layer. If you were to go with 8" ā€œbedā€ then I would find 6" 36 or more for the bottom and then put 2" of 28 on top fo that. Polyfoam could be used for the bottom 6" of this as well.

Hope this helps, I would be glad to answer any other questions you may have.

Thanks
Sensei