Removing a wool cover from my Natura (creating a FrankenBed?) or getting a new mattress

Hi Nat,

You’ve probably seen this but just in case you haven’t post #21 here has a list of some of the better retailers or manufacturers that ship across Canada that may also be useful to you.

Phoenix

Hi Nat, I didn’t realize you were in Canada. I am too.

I buy most of my beddings and got my green sleep mattresses from tmasc.ca, who I have had absolutely wonderful experiences with and recommend to everyone I know. Their product and knowledge is top knotch. The also happened to specialize in Green Sleep. That said, tmasc doesn’t really do a lot of DIY construction. Tmasc is a member here :slight_smile:

For DIY stuff, I’ve enjoyed sleepys.ca out of Kelowna (although they do full beds, mattresses, and furniture too). Their owner, Geoff, is a very knowledgeable person, and their prices have been very competitive. I especially like their passion for beds, knowledge, and that they use higher quality materials. They were one of the only to have a non-chinese-import 100% organic cotton 4-way stretch knit topper cover, with the good material on all sides, by example (topper covers often have a cheap material on the bottom side making it so you can’t flip the topper).

It was funny - I’d called all over in the USA and Canada, and everyone was telling me about their cheap or free topper covers, which really disappointed me. I couldn’t find a high quality 100% organic cotton stretch knit anywhere. I called Sleepys.ca and inquired about their topper covers without mentioning what kind I was looking for, and Geoff was apologetic, saying all he offered was a 100% organic cotton stretch knit with fabric made in Canada, or one like that but with wool…he apologized because most people calling wanted it free with a topper, or cheap like other online dealers, and his was a bit more expensive. …anyhow, I was sold from then on, and yes I did buy one and getting an identical full mattress case.

The Sleepys.ca website isn’t useful for DIY, you need to call or email them if interested. That said, I’ve been paying about $100/inch of latex for a twinxl (twinxl being half a king) for blended talalay or organic dunlop from them.

After reading all the links for an online purchase, we decided to buy from our local brick & mortar store. My husband couldn’t handle the thought of experimenting with online purchases, especially if it involved long drives or expensive shipping - he is really sick of me researching and debating this mattress purchase! So the compromise was to find the best PPP for us from the Pure Latex Bliss models at the store.

The reps weren’t knowledgeable at all so I wouldn’t particularly recommend the place. Upon returning to try the 3 PLB models (paying closer attention to alignments this time, straight edge in hand) we ended up with the 10" Nature for $1299 CDN plus two PLB pillows thrown in for free. The Beautiful model was cushiest but the straight edge showed us our best alignments were with the Nature + topper. I’m hoping to re-use the 2" Talalay topper from the Natura to save the $500 and only upgrade toppers if needed.

No regrets two hours post-purchase, and pick-up is planned for tomorrow evening. Marriage saved! We could get an exchange if it turns out terribly, and store credit for other furniture I guess (if we didn’t want a coil). Will update here when the dust settles.

Hi Nat,

If you were able to buy a new Nature for $1299 with two free pillows then you certainly did really well in terms of quality and value … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I think you did some very good research and it appears some good testing as well (with your straight edge) so it seems to me you made a great choice in spite of dealing with salespeople who were probably less knowledgeable than you.

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve had the chance to sleep on it.

That’s the best news of all!!! :slight_smile:

Phoenix

One month+ after the new mattress was implemented, and I thought I’d post an update. The configurations we tried:

1. Our new PLB Nature on our old box spring, sitting in the sleigh bed frame. Unfortunately it was sagging PLUS giving me lumbar pain. We slept 1.5 weeks to make sure, but finally I caved after another sore morning.
  2. PLB Nature directly on the slated platform base I bought for the Natura. Lumbar pain and should pain for me every morning. I gave it a week just in case. I was also starting to worry, and started researching zoning.
  3. My husband actually convinced me to try a softer base before adding zoned pieces on top. So we threw the PLB on top of our old coil mattress directly on the floor. No pain on in my lower back, no pain in my shoulders, extreme comfort for me. This has been the case for 2.5 weeks. I look forward to going to bed every evening and sleeping very well.

Now he is retrofitting the sleigh bed with plywood so we can move off the floor. We have sacrificed the complete lack of motion transfer that I loved in the latex for a pain-free (and inexpensive) option of using our old coil base. One day we may upgrade to a proper base (open to suggestions), but until my bank balance recovers this will work just fine. I’m hoping to resell the platform and maybe even the king sized latex topper to recoup some of my initial investment in the King that didn’t work.

Thanks again!

Hi Nat,

Thanks for the update.

Your solution is certainly "creative"and unusual to say the least but the bottom line is that it works and results are always more important than anything else :slight_smile:

Some of the other options that would provide some “give” under your mattress include a box spring with springs (may local manufacturers still make them) or a base with flexible slats (some of which can be zoned under certain parts of the body) but they would likely have less flex than your mattress so I’m not sure how they would compare to using your mattress.

Pure Latex Bliss also has a foundation that has 4" of latex on top of it that would add some extra softness and thickness under your mattress.

You could also try some “relatively” soft polyfoam under your mattress in between the mattress and the plywood but this also wouldn’t be an exact “match” compared to your innerspring mattress either (but at least it’s not a costly option to try).

Phoenix

One year out, and we are still sleeping beautifully on the unusual PLB-on-coil set-up.

No soreness to report, and blessedly all memories of our horrid sleeping issues had been forgotten until I re-read this thread.

Good sleep is worth the hassle and money.

Thanks Phoenix & members.

Hi Nat,

Thanks for the update … and it’s great to hear that things worked out so well for you :slight_smile:

Phoenix