Renelle Mattresses

Hi Phoenix and others, I’m considering latex mattresses made by Nature’s Embrace/Renelle, specifically Adagio, Allegro, and Unison. The Adagio has 2" of latex and rest Biofoam. The Allegro is 8" of Talaley latex. Both have cotton covers. The Unison is organic latex and has wool cover. I prefer a firmer mattress and Adagio has a decent firmness but I’m worried about it’s durability compared to the Allegro and Unison. Care to share your comments? Are these high quality beds compared to say the Sealy Progels and Dormeo octasprings? What about Latex Gold? Are they better quality?

P.S. Is wool cover better than cotton generally?

Hi Goosey,

Post #4 here has some of my thoughts about Renelle and a forum search on Renelle (you can just click this) will bring up more about them as well.

You can see some of my thoughts about a latex/polyfoam hybrid vs an all latex mattress in post #2 here. With 2" of latex over the polyfoam (biofoam is a version of polyfoam) I would want to make sure that the polyfoam is good quality/density as well because it will also play a role in the durability and useful life of the mattress.

To make comparisons between mattresses you would need to know the specifics of all the layers and components in both mattresses and unfortunately Sealy doesn’t provide this. Latex is a very high quality material though and is the most durable of all the foam types (memory foam, polyfoam, latex foam).

You can see some of my thoughts about the Dormeo Octaspring mattresses in post #2 here.

As you can see in the guidelines here (which are also linked in the mattress shopping tutorial here) … Sealy is a brand I would generally avoid.

While neither the Sealy or the Dormeo would be an apples to apples comparison (they are both completely different mattresses) … latex is a high quality material no matter which manufacturer uses it in their mattresses and I would certainly give serious consideration to the Renelle Mattresses that use it.

That would depend on the specifics of each mattress you are considering. Latex gold uses 100% natural Dunlop which is a high quality material but is also the same material that is used in some of the Renelle mattresses so if you had one mattress that had say 8" of 100% Dunlop latex and were comparing it to another mattress that also used 8" of 100% natural Dunlop latex they would be very comparable in terms of materials and quality even if the actual manufacturer of the Dunlop latex was different (there are many manufacturers of Dunlop latex that are equivalent quality). There is more about the different types of latex and how they compare in post #6 here. Knowing the specifics of what is in each mattress you are comparing is the only way to make meaningful comparisons.

Wool and cotton are different and used for different purposes. Cotton is a fabric that is often used as a mattress cover while wool is usually used as a quilting layer (quilted to cotton or other fabrics). You generally won’t find wool as a fabric used for the cover itself. You can read more about the pros and cons of a wool quilted cover (quilted to cotton or other fabrics) in post #6 here and more about the pros and cons of a quilted cover vs a stretch knit cover in post #12 here.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. I read your links. Do you have any idea whether the biofoam core in Renelle’s Adagio mattress is high quality or not? On another note, I found the 100% Dunlop mattress that Majestic sells to be more springy than the 100% Talalay mattress. Speaking of which, is “springiness” a good thing? Majestic also sells a mattress called Restore. Are you familiar with this mattress? I believe it’s their firmest latex mattress. 100% organic latex.

Hi Goosey,

I don’t know the density no but they would probably give you the density of the polyfoam core if you asked.

It’s not good or bad … just a personal preference … although most people speak of Talalay as being more springy than Dunlop (you can see a comparison in post #7 here).

This is a Natura mattress and you can see the design and layering here. It also uses high quality latex but is a combination of 100% natural Dunlop latex in the support layer and 100% natural Talalay in the comfort layers (totalling 9" of latex) and has a wool quilted cover. The cover and wool may be organic but I don’t think the Dunlop latex is organic (Natura lists it as 100% natural not organic) and there is no such thing as organic Talalay latex … only 100% natural or blended.

Phoenix

I’m still learning… but looking at the Adagio, the core is biofoam with a 2" latex top. Not sure if that is a good buy vs buying a firm mattress with topper if I want a firmer mattress.

Hi Goosney,

It certainly could be a good buy depending on the quality/density of the polyfoam and most importantly all the objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. Of course it would also depend on what you are comparing it to and on the other mattresses you are considering because “value” is relative to the mattresses you are comparing and the criteria that are most important to each person … not least of which is how well a mattress matches your needs and preferences in terms of PPP.

I would tend to avoid buying a mattress with the specific intent of adding a topper afterwards unless you can test the mattress/topper combination in person for PPP. It adds an additional layer of uncertainty because you have to first choose a mattress with no weak links and then buy a topper that you can’t test in person on your mattress. A topper will feel and perform differently depending on the mattress that is underneath it so choosing a topper that you can’t test first can be almost as difficult as choosing a mattress in the first place.

A mattress/topper combination can be a good option if you can test them both together in person or if you make an initial purchase that is less than ideal for you and it needs some extra softness and fine tuning but your odds of success are higher if you are able to test what you will end up sleeping on in person. Of course if you can test the mattress/topper combination ahead of time then a mattress topper combination can be a good choice because a topper is like having an exchangeable comfort layer that you can replace without having to replace the entire mattress if it softens or breaks down faster than the base mattress (which is likely) or if your needs and preferences change over time. It can also add to the durability of the mattress under it because the topper will take up most of the compression forces that come from sleeping on the mattress.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. I sent you a PM with some questions unrelated to this thread. One of the questions I have is do you know if the Noizzless mattresses are made by Renelle?

Hi Goosey,

Yes … Noizzless is a new line from Renelle.

Phoenix

Hello,

I’m interested in the Renelle 9000 latex mattress but can’t find much info online about it’s composition.
I saw it in a store in Vancouver for $1899 for 8" and $2299 for 10".

Do you know what type of latex is used?

The store website has the Noizzless 9000 seen here:

http://standoutonline.ca/~sleepsh/mattress-store-vancouver/adjustable-friendly/noizzless-pleasure-latex-9000/

Thanks!

175 lb male, side sleeper

Hi bubaloo,

The Renelle mattresses use both Talalay and Dunlop latex in different models so you would need to talk to the retailer (or Renelle) to find out the specifics of the mattress you are considering. Dunlop and Talalay latex are both high quality materials but some people prefer one and some the other.

I don’t know the specifics of the 9000 but before you buy any mattress I would make sure you know the specifics of all the layers and materials in the mattress. This should include the density of any polyfoam in the mattress and the type and blend of any latex.

Phoenix