replacement topper

I currently have a hastens mattress with the horsehair topper. I’ve had it for about 5 years and it’s compressed and starting to feel too firm now. I did sleep on a feather topper in a hotel and quite liked it. I’m debating between a feather topper or a carpe diem topper. From what I’ve read carpe diem topper should feel somewhere in between the hastens and the feather topper. Unfortunately, there isn’t a carpei diem retailer nearby for me to try. Any suggestions?

Hi fuzion,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

As you’ve experienced, horsehair will tend to compress a bit over time and is a bit of a firmer topper material. On the other hand, a featherbed will tend to be quite “fluffy”.

I believe you are asking about the Carpe Diem “Top Mattresses”? There are two models, each using Talalay latex. The Exclusive uses the Talalay latex plus a cotton layer on one side and a wool layer on the other side, for summer/winter configurations. The Basic model uses the latex with a removable stretch knit covering.

I don’t have any personal experience sampling these two toppers, but it would be safe to say they would be “between” the horsehair and the feather topper, as would most toppers you might be considering. The Carpe Diem certainly uses good quality materials, but it is in a very premium price range, and you may wish to make some careful value comparisons if you’re considering this item.

If you’re curious, there is more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to which along with a conversation with a reliable and knowledgeable supplier (that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market) can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success.

Because of the uncertainty involved with purchasing a topper where you can’t test the combination in person … a good exchange/return policy can also reduce the risk of an online topper purchase so I would also make sure you are comfortable with the options you have available after a purchase to exchange or return the topper and any costs involved just in case a topper you choose also doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

Perhaps there is a forum member with experience sampling this topper and they can offer their impressions of the product for you.

Phoenix

A good exchange policy is definitely preferred. But looking at most retailers they only allow returns of mattresses, most view toppers as accessories like pillows and don’t allow returns.

Hi fuzion,

There are more online mattress toppers that can be returned appearing in the marketplace, but you’re correct that few companies allow a return of such items, as the comfort they offer is greatly determined by the surface upon which they are placed. While the online offerings are constantly changing, here is a list of some online toppers with return policies of which I am aware. It’s at least a good start. And as you’re already aware, returns on many of the products in the “ultra-premium” price ranges are not common.

Phoenix