Replacing an Airstream mattress.

My wife and I are retired and looking to travel in our Airstream, however, we both wouid like a better mattress then the one we currently have. It is a short queen, 60 X 25.

We have looked at a number of mattress stores, but, it appears that we will need to get one custome made. We know that Rocky Mountain has a good reputation and was considering their Temerax. We would also like to look for a local manufacturer but can’t seem to find one. Our zip is 21811 and we live on the Eastern Shore of Md.

Also can you provide any insight to the Rocky Nountain Temerax Mattress.

Thanking you in advance for your insight.

John Mclaughlin

Hi urnmor,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Ocean City area are listed in post #2 here but there aren’t a lot of good options available in the immediate area.

As you probably know Rocky Mountain Mattress is one of the members here which means I think very highly of them and I believe they compete well with the best in the industry and they do make RV mattresses so they would certainly be well worth talking to. Some additional online options I’m aware of for RV mattresses are listed in post #2 here.

There is more about the most important parts of the value of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons to other mattresses or any other “finalists” you are considering.

I don’t see a “Temerax” on their site but if you mean their Tamarack mattress then if you can provide the specifics of the materials inside the mattress (see this article) I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the quality of the materials inside it or the mattress as a whole but as far as I know none of their mattresses have any lower quality materials or weak links in their design. A forum search on Rocky Mountain Tamarack (you can just click the link) will also bring up some additional comments and feedback as well.

Phoenix

First let me thank you for your quick response. I greatly appreciate it. I have been lurking on your site off and on for about a month and everything folks write about your love for this in my opinion is true. As many have stated buying a new mattress can be daunting and your sight helps with making a selection.

Yes I meant to type Tamarack mattress. They list the materials as:
1.5" of Softcel Supersoft Foam
3" of four pound Softcel Memory Foam
1.5" of Ultracel Convoluted Foam to maximize free air flow
Ultracel Lumbar Support Foam
6" of Ultracel Support Foam
Traditional tight-top mattress
CoolMax by DuPont Damask
TempurPedic style foundation
12-inch mattress profile

Their write up also states: The mattress boasts several layers of foam, including 3 inches of 4-pound Softcel™ Memory Foam derived from NASA’s own technology to create a cloud-like sleeping surface with individualized support for each sleeper.

Mid-body lumbar support combined witha layer of convoluted foam and 6 inches of High Resilient support foam ensure that each person experiences a quality support system based on their individual weight, size, and shape. The mattress will be shipped fully assembled. This mattress is packaged only when your order is processed to help maintain the freshness and vitality of your mattress.

My wife and i are both seniors and have added a few pounds over the years. Neither one of us are tall as I am about 5’7" and my wife is 5’1’’

Again thanks for any insight that you can provide.

Hiurnmore,

The previous post I linked includes the most important parts of the value of a mattress purchase that can help you make more suitable choices and more meaningful comparisons between your finalists based on the three most important parts of any mattress purchase …

1. Testing to make sure that a mattress is a suitable choice for you in terms of PPP (or a more detailed conversation about how suitable the mattress may be for you if you can’t test it in person).

2. Checking to make sure you know the quality/density of all the layers that aren’t included in their online description (I believe the layers that they don’t list the density are 1.8 lbs but you need to confirm this to make sure that the mattress has no weak links in the design relative to your weight).

3. Comparing the mattress with the other mattresses you are considering based on all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the prices of course along with the options you have after a purchase to exchange or return the mattress just in case your choice doesn’t turn out to be as suitable as you hoped for).

There is also more about the different ways to choose a mattress (locally or online) in post #2 here that can help you identify and minimize the risks involved with each of them.

Phoenix

Again thank you for your responses. We are leaning towards Rocky Mountain but not sure which one.

I do have few more general questions and wonder if you could answer for me. Is there signifcant differences in a 9 inch versu an 11 or 12 inch in terms of firmness and does a 1/2 inch in material make that much of a difference in the quaity of a mattress?

Again I greatly appreciate your assistance as this is almost as bad as trying to determine what phone plan to buy,.

Again thanks

John

Hi John,

The thickness of a mattress by itself has very little to do with the suitability of a mattress or how a mattress feels and performs or how firm or soft it may be because this would depend more on the specifics of the materials and components in the design than on the thickness of the mattress although in very generic terms if all the other materials and components inside a mattress are the same then a thicker mattress will tend to feel softer than a thinner mattress that used the same materials. There is more about the effects of thickness in post #14 here and there is also more about the different specs that can affect how soft or firm a mattress (or a material) feels in post #4 here but these are all “pieces” of a much larger picture that would have little “real life” meaning for most people until you can try a mattress in person to see how it feels for you.

The thickness of a mattress also has nothing to do with the quality or durability of a mattress although if a mattress is thicker because it uses thicker layers of higher quality and more costly materials and components then the thickness can certainly affect the price. There is more about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to different people in post #4 here.

Phoenix

Phoenix. again thank you for your quick response. All I can say is Wow as there is so much to learn and digest about the building of a mattress.

I have been reading your post and I fully understand that we are taking a chance if we buy on line from a firm like Rocky Mountain as there is no way we can test their product. We will just have to go on their reputation.

So now back to my reading.

John

Hi urnmor,

I would also make sure that you include a more detailed conversation on the phone as part of your research so you can make sure that the Tamarack is likely to be a suitable choice for you because the most important part of the “value” of any mattress purchase (regardless of who you are dealing with or their reputation and integrity) is that the mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

Phoenix

Phoenix
thank you and we let you know how we make out after I speak to the folks at Rocky Mountain

John