Replacing Simmons Beauty Rest World Class from US-Mattress

Hi all -

We’ve really enjoyed our Simmons Beauty Rest World Class from US-Mattress that we purchased several years ago. Unfortunately they no longer sell it, and the invoice says Corita Plush. When speaking with US Mattress they say the Cal King Simmons Beautyrest Harmony Lux HLC-1000 Plush 13.75 Inch Mattress is the replacement. There are less than twenty reviews for this mattress so I’m a little hesitant. We also are concerned with buying a mattress with a lot of memory foam. Our current World Class mattress has some, but in the middle I believe. We just don’t want that sinking feeling. Thanks so much for your help!

US - Mattress Replacement Suggestion: 13.75" Beautyrest Harmony Lux Plush Mattress | US-Mattress – US Mattress

Hi iambatman212.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

It’s always disappointing when a product tha6tt works for you is discontinued. Sometimes this may be a blessing in disguise especially when foam breakdown, durability, and useful life a mattress are involved.

With some digging, I could find the layer specifications on the Simmons Beautyrest World Class - Corita Plush. This is not the first time Corita has been discussed in the forum. The Corita Plush has 3.75" of 1.2 and 1.5 lb polyfoam in the comfort layers which raises flags as a weak link in terms of how long this mattress would last as this will affect how long you can sleep well on this mattress regardless is this is a good fit in terms of comfort/support needs for your particular needs and preferences to start with.

The comfort layer(s) specs for their recommended replacement are…
• 1.25" AirFeel Foam
• 1" RightTemp Wave Foam
• 1/2" Beautyrest Gel Foam
• 1.5" GelTouch Foam

Adding up to 4.25" of polyfoams for the comfort layer. I doubt a quarter-inch of difference is going to matter much as far as “feel” goes, but the foam densities and IFDs certainly do. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find the foam densities, but I doubt they’re much higher than the 1.2 - 1.5 lb polyfoam that was being used in your previous mattress. I would stand clear of any product for which you can’t find the density of the foams and constructions.

I wouldn’t factor the reviews of others into your decision to purchase any particular mattress. People often review mattresses far too early after receiving them, and reviews lack specific information about all the variables that can contribute to the suitability of a mattress (like details about the person and the mattress) that would make them more meaningful/accurate. I’d suggest reading about the dangers of making a purchase based on reviews here. The same goes for review sites that more like revenue sites.

I’d be more hesitant to pull the trigger simply because we know their previous models carry low-quality foams, and they lack transparency about their foam densities as a rule. I suggest before moving ahead with any purchase that you learn a little bit more about the materials that can affect the useful life of a mattress in our Mattress Durability Guidelines here. I’d also recommend taking a look over Mattress Specifications You Need to Know and our Mattress Shopping Guidelines.

It’s very possible the Harmony Lux will serve you just fine for a limited amount of time, but it’s always good to go into a new mattress purchase as informed as possible to be able to estimate how long you can reasonably expect a mattress to last before any foam breakdown that can compromise your spinal alignment and quality of your sleep.
would allow me or any of the mattress experts on the site to offer a better commentary on this mattress for you.

Looking forward to any questions or updates you may have.

Phoenix

Bumping up this thread as it’s been a while. Thank you so much phoenix for the wonderful response. I’ll read through the links you posted to get some better understanding of the mattress buying guidelines. I simply don’t know where to start - there’s almost too much information. I’m also wary of going into stores to try a mattress.

Hi Phoenix,

Same question, but I have the World Class Extra Extra Firm Ambrosia model, manufactured in 2003. I’m still happily using this mattress, always with a topper on it, which I’ve changed as needed over the years. I know this mattress is no longer made, and I know the quality of materials used by Simmons has declined since then. Just curious if you have any knowledge of a comparable mattress? This one has been wonderful for my back, and this BR extra firm has proved to be “extra sturdy.” It uses no memory foam, which is a blessing. This BR will easily make it to 20 years. But then … I don’t know.

I’ve been looking at Theraluxe online (firm version) but there’s no one near me that actually sells this model.