Replacing top layer

I purchased a latex mattress a few years ago. It has 3 layers - firm dunlop, med talalay and a top layer of 10% med dunlop. It has begun to lose support in the middle portion and not support me the way it did at first. I suspect the top layer is lesser quality and has let go so I want to replace it.

A denser firm talalay might last longer, I’ll place it in the middle and move the med talalay to the top. So I’m wondering where are the best sources online for purchasing a single 3" layer of talalay latex?

thanks

I was considering going this route with a 4" Talalay topper over high density foam.
I’ll be interested in the answer to this.

Mattresstopper.com (Brooklyn Bedding)

3" Eastern King size, choice of 19, 28, 36 blended Talalay.
$404 less 10% discount = $363.60
I don’t know the prices of the smaller mattress sizes.

Comes with a FREE quality bamboo cover that has a 345 degree zipper.
You also get a 30 trial, FREE return shipping. Note: Limit of 1 return per year only.
Friendly people. No angry salesman if you return.

My 19 averaged out to 20 on the test tags. The 28 was on target.
Made by Latex International (I think), clean cut, accurate measurement, very clean pads.
No evidence of a return or second.

BTW, I don’t work for them. Just used them.

barneycalhoun - That is an excellent price and even less for queen size. Wonder if it is the same product that EZ Sleep sells? It is stated to be blended talalay from Latex International and believe that is the source of EZ Sleep. That is an excellent price.

Hi Eyeone,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The uppermost layer of any mattress will soften the most over time and undergo the most mechanical stresses, but it is odd for latex to “sag” in such a short period of time, synthetic, blended or natural. I’m not sure what you mean by 10% Dunlop – perhaps a blend of natural and synthetic latex?

One thing I always advise to double check when I hear about any mattress sagging in the center is to make sure that your bed frame has a proper center support, and that whatever foundation you’re using for your mattress is appropriate and not sagging as well.

There are quite a few sources for Talalay toppers listed in post #4 here, and you can also look at the component post listing here. MattressToppers.com is one of the vendors on this list (their products aren’t return or seconds), and they are a member of the site. And SleepEZ offers Talalay from both Latex International and Radium (19-20 and 30-32 ILD, both blended and natural), so you’d have to check with them regarding which manufacturer was supplying the layer in which you had an interest.

I think that covered your questions from both of your posts, but if you have others, please let me know.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for welcoming me.

My mattress has some sag in the middle when I wake up I roll to the edge to find a level firm area and then it feels like I’m lying on a slanted surface that goes downward to the center of the bed. I’m 190 and 5’ 10".

I made 5 T-slats using 1"x5" poplar for under the base which came from Sleep EZ. I have the 10" mattress from there also but I used a core from a Spindle Mattress topper that I had to save some money. It had only been used for a few months. It is 10% NR dunlop of their making if I remember correctly.

Before I purchase a replacement I intend to open the mattress up and remove each layer and lay on each to see if I can determine which layers need replacing. It is only 3 years old this April and optimistic that it is the top layer it would be a big expense if not. I always intended on replacing that layer it is a bit thinner that the others and doesn’t quite fill out the matress so I’m hoping it is the soft one.

I think I should go with blended Talalay firm which will rest on top of a Dunlop firm, the comfort layer will be the Talalay medium which came from Sleep EZ. My thinking is the firm might soften over time but still give me the support I like. My hope is that the mattress won’t be too firm. If that doesn’t work then latex might not be right for me and it will have been an expensive experiment.

I’ve learned a lot from TMU and appreciate any advice you may have.

Hi Eyeone,

While all foams will soften slightly over time, “rolling” towards the center is odd, as opposed to having an area that perhaps has a bit more use and feel a bit more plush than other layers. Your idea of taking each layer out and testing it individually isn’t a bad idea at al. I usually recommend that the entire mattress be placed upon the floor to rule out any issues with the bed frame/foundation, then you can always do the same with the individual layers as you mentioned.

The t-slats and the SleepEZ foundation would be good quality materials and should not be a cause for concern. The latex used by Spindle is 100% Natural continuous-pour Dunlop from Mountain Top Foam.

If the thickness of your latex layers doesn’t completely fill out your mattress encasement cover, some of the “firmer” feeling along the edges could also be from the way that your encasement is fitting around your mattress layers and “wearing in” as well. This could change with a thicker top layer being used.

The good news is that you already have the firm Dunlop layer and the Medium Talalay layer, so you can “experiment” a bit with a part of the combination you are considering. While all layers of a mattress work in unison, it can give you an insight as to if you may like a “medium” top comfort layer.

As you are considering making a modification to your existing mattress, you may want to read option 3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to (and option #1 and #2 as well) so that you have more realistic expectations and that you are comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process. While it can certainly be a rewarding project … the best approach to a DIY mattress (or modification of your current mattress) is a “spirit of adventure” where what you learn and the satisfaction that comes from the process itself is more important than any cost savings you may realize (which may or may not happen).

I’ll look forward to your updates.

Phoenix