Researching my old mattress before I decide where to start on a new one

Does anyone know anything about the old in house brand Heilig Meyers beds? I got my current bed there in 2002 and it’s held up pretty well until the past couple years, but other than that it’s a pillowtop on the plush side I paid a little over $500 for I don’t remember anything about it,

While I’m asking questions, does anyone know anything about liveandsleep? I’m a sucker for buying things that go to charities but there are only 26 reviews and it’s impossible to google live and sleep and get anything useful. Thanks!

Hi hologramaja,

You may have purchased your mattress a little earlier because Heilig Meyers was closed in 2001 due to a bankruptcy but I checked their old website and did some searching and I wasn’t able to find any meaningful information about their mattresses. If it was a pillowtop it would most likely have been some type of innerspring with polyfoam and fiber in the pillowtop. Even if you knew more details of the layers and components though you still wouldn’t be able to duplicate it anyway if that’s the reason you wanted to know what was inside it.

They also don’t provide any meaningful information about their mattress and I would want to know the density of the memory foam and the polyfoam in the mattress (see this article).

They also mention that they are “built to USA standards” which most often means that they are a Chinese import (see post #6 here) and if that’s the case I would also want to know that they were CertiPUR certified.

As far as donations to a charity this is often more about marketing than anything else. They don’t say how much they are donating (just a “portion”) and their donations could also be the result of donating their returned mattresses to the charity they are supporting (National Alliance to End Homelessness). Either way their donations and returns would be built into the price of the mattress. I would personally prefer to choose my own donations to causes I believe in than buy a mattress where the donation was included in the price unless I knew how much of the price was a donation and I wanted to support that particular charity.

I also noticed that their customers are required to keep their mattress for 50 days before being allowed to return them which IMO is a little bit on the long side if a mattress you purchase doesn’t turn out to be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

How did you happen to find them (I’m curious because they don’t turn up on most google searches)? I’m guessing it was on Amazon?

Their Amazon reviews don’t include any verified purchases and appear to be “planted”.

Overall they appear to be a “basic” memory foam mattress similar to many other cheap Chinese imports and if it was me I would want much more information about them and their company before considering them as a realistic option.

Phoenix

I found them through Google ads when I was looking at other online foam mattresses. They must have something of an ad budget because I was getting side ads for them on youtube at work on a separate account where I hadn’t clicked though their ad.

2001? Yeah my memory’s a year off because I thought I bought it a year after I started my current job. I remember being confused at the time they went out of business because it was the only local place I liked the staff, but chain stores are like that I guess.

On the local front for beds there’s Nu-Rest Bedding, which our school actually took a field trip when I was a kid. Watching him make the mattress which was pretty neat to see in person. The business changed hands recently but they’re still making them the same way. I’m leaning towards memory foam right now but I thought someone might still find this interesting for themselves.

Hi hologramaja,

I know about 95% of the smaller manufacturers in the country but I wasn’t aware of Nu-Rest and it’s always a pleasant surprise when I find out about a local manufacturer that I wasn’t aware of. Thanks for the heads up :).

I talked with Ronald today (the son of the original owner) and confirmed that they are completely transparent about how they build their mattresses (most of which are still two sided) and the type and quality of the materials inside them. I’ve added them to the list for the Kansas City region here and they would be well worth including in your research if you are in reasonable driving distance and are looking for the type of mattresses that they make.

Thanks again!

Phoenix

Even people who live in the area tend to forget they’re there! My dad mentioned he might pick up a new queen sized bed there and I googled to see if they had a Facebook or other web presence and found that article about them. It’s over 100 miles from Kansas City to Laclede, so I’d advise anyone who drives that far to see General Pershing’s boyhood home while there and make a trip to Marceline to see all the Disney stuff if they’re in the area.

A little follow up–I just ordered a full size Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams 13 inch! Phoenix, I have to thank you for this website I know I would have ended up with some cheap, poorly made thing without the research I did because of it! <3 I had a little left in my paypal balance and sent it your way. :wink:

Hi hologramaja,

You certainly made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I hope you have the chance to share your comments and feedback when you receive it.

Thanks for the kind words and the donation as well … I appreciate both of them!

Phoenix