Rest-O-Pedic, luxury pillow top mattress

I purchased on of these like 10 years ago and it is the best mattress I have ever slept on. I am trying to find another like it and am not being successful at this point. Any help would be appreciated. It says it is made by Best Bedding Company, City of Commerce, CA. It is a double sided luxury pillow top.

Hi Travelingflower,

I’m not familiar with Best Bedding Company (they may no longer be in business) and your mattress may no longer be made but there is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” so unless you are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials, components, cover, layer thicknesses, layer firmnesses, and overall design (which would be very unlikely) then there really isn’t a way to match one mattress to another one in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or what you will feel on a mattress based on the specifications of the mattress.

Mattress manufacturers generally try to differentiate their mattress from the mattresses made by other manufacturers and don’t normally try to “match” another mattress that is made by a different manufacturer so while you may find similar mattresses that use “similar” materials or designs and there would be other mattresses that are in a similar general category (see this article) … unless a manufacturer or retailer specifically says in their description of a mattress that a similar mattress in the same general category is designed to “match” or “approximate” another one in terms of firmness or “feel” (or they are very familiar with both mattresses and can provide reliable guidance about how they compare based on the “averages” of a larger group of people) then the only reliable way to know if a mattress will feel similar to you would be based on your own personal testing or your actual sleeping experience.

If you have the specifications of all the materials and layers in both mattresses you are comparing (see this article) then making durability comparisons based on the specs of both mattresses is simpler and more reliable but the durability of the materials in a mattress has very little to do with how if feels or performs because a mattress that uses lower quality and less durable materials can feel the same or very similar to a mattress that uses higher quality and more durable materials in a showroom or when it is still relatively new … it just won’t last as long.

I would also keep in mind that “feel” is so subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, individual circumstances, sensitivities and preferences, or what someone is used to sleeping on and is using as a reference point, that two mattresses that feel the same to one person can feel very different to someone else.

That doesn’t mean that there aren’t other mattresses that would be just as good or even better in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) as a mattress that you are using as your reference point … only that they will generally use different combinations of materials and components and if they don’t have the same design then they may not have the same “feel” and you may prefer one mattress over the other.

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for when you sleep on it in “real life” and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability and PPP (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area as well.

Phoenix

Medford, Oregon 97501

Hi Travelingflower,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Medford/Ashland/Central Point areas (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked in my last reply) are listed in post #4 here.

Phoenix