Restava Ravelli review and question

After some research I purchased a Ravelli 45 days ago and so far the Mrs and I are really liking the support and comfort. After testing out a Temperpedic Grandbed we were bent on finding something comparable and less pricey. Although there is a gel layer and the foam is gel infused we still find it sleeps hotter than our traditional spring mattress which concerns us a little for the spring and summer months. We do sleep with down comforters through all seasons, so that may have to change!
The other mattress we had considered was the Select Foam Grandis which is more identical to the Grandbed in design, with only the addition of gel infused soy-based foam which they claim will sleep as cool as a traditional mattress. Restava claims that they do extensive comparison studies which show they are the coolest of all the memory foam mattresses, but it is impossible to equal the coolness of traditional mattresses. My conversations with Select Foam and a few bad reviews leave me a bit skeptical of their claims, so I’m wondering if Phoenix or anyone else can opine here…both of their claims can’t be true. Thx!

I wanted to add a few things: 1) I am using the expand-a-grip (Louisville bedding co.) waterproof mattress pad that was recommended by Restava which may be making it sleep hotter (they told me it wouldn’t effect it)
2) We haven’t experienced any VOC smell whatsoever which I am obviously very pleased about…especially after reading GrandmasterJ’s incredibly detailed thread.

I find it hard to believe that any waterproof protector won’t make a bed sleep hotter.

Hi zman1,

There are many factors involved in temperature regulation besides just the foam in a mattress (see post #2 here) and I really doubt that anyone would be able to make a claim that their foam is the “coolest” unless they also released their comparisons with every other type of memory foam and the specifics of the testing method.

You can read a little more about the cooling effect of gel memory foam in post #8 here and the links it includes but in general it would depend on the specific formula of the gel foam. They will usually provide a cooler surface until temperatures equalize at which point they are more of an insulator (like regular memory foam) and it’s role in sleeping temperature would depend more on its airflow and the other temperature regulating factors of the sleeping system. I would take any claims of “this is the best” with a grain of salt unless it included the specifics of how it was tested and what it was being tested against.

Any waterproof protector will reduce airflow on the surface compared to a non waterproof more breathable protector and can increase sleeping temperature to some degree. Although it’s not enough to affect most people … it will affect some people who tend to be more sensitive or sleep hotter or where there are also other factors that can affect sleeping temperature.

Phoenix

Thx Phoenix, I would also like to extend a huge thx for the help and knowledge I have received from you and the website…without it my selection would have been largely in the dark.
Can you weigh in on Select Foams claim that their mattress sleeps as cool as a traditional one? Also, what are the pro’s and con’s of their removable cover and does it just zip off allowing separation of the different layers?

Hi zman,

Post #4 here from yesterday is my reply to a very similar question and includes links to more information about sleeping temperature and gel memory foam. While there is a large number of gel memory foams as well as a very large number of innerspring mattresses that each have a different design (and a different effect on sleeping temperature) … in very general terms most gel foams can help with temperature regulation while you are falling asleep or until temperatures equalize at which point they become more like traditional memory foam where the ventilation of the foam is the most important cooling factor.

I think it would be fair to say that gel memory foam sleeps a little cooler for some period of time than most “regular” memory foams but there are so many variables involved in sleeping temperature and so many types of mattresses in each category that I don’t think that a generic comparison between memory foam and innersprings can really be meaningful except as a way to say “most people would have no problem with sleeping temperature on this mattress”.

The biggest benefit would be that the cover can be removed and washed to keep it clean. It would also allow access to the wool sock that covers the foam (used as a fire barrier) which can be removed as a way of fine tuning the mattress.

Phoenix

Hello, I’m back again after 7 years. The Restava bed I purchased back then was never really satisfactory. It felt much different than the bed it compared itself to (temperpedic grand bed) and just got worse from there. Slept hot, sagged badly and awful for marital duties! Company went belly up shortly after purchase so no recourse. If I didn’t hate shopping so much I’d have replaced it years ago, but alas now’s the time as I can’t take it anymore and believe it’s the source of my hip pain.
Any great suggestions out there?!
I don’t think I’ll go full memory foam again

Hi zman1.

Welcome back to our forum all the way from 2013! :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear that the Restava started sagging and that you had to put up with it for so many years. You’re quite right - a sagging mattress is often the cause of back pains and spinal alignment issues, which can cause the hip pain you’ve been experiencing. Restava used to be a member of this site about 7 years ago, but they changed the designs and lowered the foam quality/density in their mattresses, and after many weeks of attempting to find out the specs of their reworked designs, they wouldn’t provide the information we needed so we weren’t able to confirm the quality/density of their foam materials. Because accuracy and transparency is one of the most important criteria for membership here we’ve terminated their membership. Also, companies that do not have a system in place to honor their warranties are another reason why The Mattress Underground has a rigorous criterion for accepting businesses as members of our community. It is an unfortunate fact that many modern mattresses are using lower-quality materials, lower density foams, and more fibers and convoluted foams that are resulting in a shorter comfort life. That was one of the reasons for the founding of this site – to help educate consumers about quality materials and then assist them in finding better quality manufacturers or retailers.

As you are a hot sleeper and have issues with movement isolating qualities of memory foam you are correct to stay clear of this material. as it has some drawbacks… It tends to sleep hot for those who are sensitive to this and even the newer generation more breathable memory foams are not as breathable or open-celled as latex. Because it absorbs energy, has little resilience, and is a poorly supportive material for movement or other “activities on the mattress” and relies on the layers underneath to provide support and spinal alignment.

While I can’t select your perfect mattress for you, I can certainly guide you in a better direction. What is your weight, height, and preferred sleeping position? Do you have any “deal breakers” when it comes to a mattress? There is quite a bit about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Since it’s been quite some time since you’ve been around the forum, I would also recommend reviewing theMattress Durability Guidelines and the Mattress Shopping Tutorial.

I look forward to your reply.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, sorry I just saw this…thx for the thoughtful reply! I’m 6’5" 260# and in pretty good shape. I’m mostly a side sleeper, but sometimes am able to sleep on my back. If my head is positioned down too much I’ll get numbness and/or nerve pain down arms, back too far I’ll experience snoring/sleep apnea. To either side too much then it’s neck spasms. Finally understanding the neck position riddle has largely ended my upper body issues. Now I need to handle the hip/glute/leg situation!! I really want to pick a great mattress this time. I love a good value, but price isn’t an issue.

Hi zman1.

I appreciate you sharing your sleep stats and the results of your trials and errors with finding the correct head elevation and the best pillow for it which can be sometimes as difficult as finding a mattress. It sounds like you’ve managed to solve the “riddle” of your neck and what you need support-wise in that respect.
Changing the mattress may require that you also change the pillow so the leg work that you already did will come in handy if you need to make adjustments. Pillows are a very personal choice and different people will have very different pillow preferences and the perception of firm or soft for each individual are also different. There is much information about this in the pillow topic to help find a pillow that is the best “match” for you and the mattress you end up buying…

Because you have a larger frame and higher BMI, I’d first focus on the durability and useful life of the materials & components in your mattress. Because no materials will last as long with much higher weights the quality and durability of the materials and components are even more important than normal. I would base your choices as much as possible on your own personal testing Post #3 here~ has more information and suggestions about heavier weights that is worth reading.

While the weak link of a mattress is generally in the upper layers … with you also sleeping on your side mostly the depth of compression would go a little deeper than most and the feel, performance, and durability of the middle and even deeper layers would likely be more important. In these cases, it would be more important to make sure that the support layers are higher density or a more durable material or that the latex on top of the mattress is thicker or has two layers of latex instead of one

As you “are not going” for any memory foam in your mattress that leaves you with Polyfoam and Latex and/or fibers. Latex is a durable material in general but if you’re considering mattresses made of poly foam, if the mattress is one-sided then I would look for 2.0 lb per cubic foot density or higher. If the mattress is two sided then I would use a minimum foam density of 1.8 lbs per cubic foot or higher.

As a side sleeper, there are deeper gaps to “fill in” to spread your weight out on the mattress when you are sleeping and you need a deeper cradle to relieve pressure so the gaps are filled in and help spread the weight over the mattress.

In general, a good starting point for a good comfort layer for a side sleeper is 3" and then depending on weight, body shape, preferences, and the firmness of the support layers, to go up from there if needed. Your hip/glute/leg discomfort makes me question the weight differential between your hips and legs how much your hips sink in as opposed to your legs, the position of your legs, and if there is any twisting involved.

Making any specific recommendations for mattresses can be tricky and it is nearly impossible to diagnose pain issues through a forum as only you can feel what you feel on a mattress, but because of your stats and specifics, you would be better served by talking with a manufacturer that focuses on matching the mattress with the sleeper. It may be worth checking out FloBeds. They offer an option for “big and tall sleepers” that you may find interesting. They also have customized horizontal zoning for individuals with different than average sleeping profiles and needs. You can reach out to them directly with your stats, preferences, and questions and they can guide you towards the best fit from their options.

You may also want to reach out to Arizona Premium Mattress, Seep EZ, Latex Mattress Company or Foam Sweet Foam.

Ultimately, any single one of our Trusted Members will be transparent about their mattress components and will be able to answer any questions you have about the products they offer, and whether they feel they have an option that would be a good fit.

I hope this helps get you off on the right foot. Please keep me posted with your progress.

Phoenix

I was considering a hybrid like the saatva classic in firm (ore plush firm) or latex hybrid. I know it’s not supposed to be great for side sleepers, but since I’m heavy thought it might compensate. I like a firmer mattress.
I should add here that I think that I may have sorted the hip pain. In an effort to eliminate all other causes other than the mattress I came to know that one particular quad muscle(left vastus lateralis) was very tight. Properly stretching this particular muscle immediately relieved the pain!
I still don’t like my mattress, though…

Hi zman1.

A hybrid can be a great option. I would make sure you that the materials in any mattress you’re considering, Saatva or otherwise, match our Durability Guidelines relative to your BMI and is thick enough to give you comfort for your side sleeping position. in the comfort layer for your sleeping position.

There are also a number of forum posts and threads about mattresses and higher weights and a forum title search on heavy (you can just click this) will bring up many of them. Some examples include post #2 here and post #2 here and this thread.

Great to hear that you “may have sorted the hip pain”, and that it’s not a mattress associated pain after all. A mattress has to also match our preferences and I understand you can dislike it even though it isn’t causing you pain.

Let us know if you decide to continue your search for a mattress that is meeting both your needs and preferences or …if you chose to override your dislike for it. Just curious! :slight_smile:

Phoenix