Restonic Elevate

Greetings,

I am searching for a new mattress, and the Restonic Elevate line has been recommended to me by the salesperson at a local furniture store. This salesperson has been extraordinarily helpful in resolving problems with other purchases, and I am willing to trust her advice, but the problem is that very little information on these mattresses seems to be available.

I am both tall and heavy, and I have back and joint problems as well. One of these Elevate mattresses is the first I have tried that does not cause immediate pain in my back. I would have purchased it already, but I am concerned about its longevity. I know very little about its internal construction, only that it has a foam core and latex layers atop that. It has what seems to be a good warranty, but for replacement that warranty requires a two-inch body depression, and I believe I would be in serious pain long before a permanent depression reached two inches. As a further complication, I have many allergies, and while I have not yet manifested an allergy to latex my mother (with whom I share many allergies in common) has. Thus such a thing could be in my future.

Does anyone know how these Elevate mattresses hold up over time? Or whether it is likely that I will be affected by a latex allergy (in spite of the manufacturer’s assurance that the mattress is hypo-allergenic)? Is latex actually the best solution for someone with back pain and a weight problem, or should I look for something else entirely?

I would greatly appreciate any advice you all might have.

Hi Djehuty,

A mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it and one of the most important parts of a mattress purchase besides good objective testing for PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and personal preferences) is to know the specifics of all the layers in the mattress. This would include the type and thickness of all the layers, the density of any memory foam or polyfoam, and the type and blend of any latex. Without this there is no way to be able to assess whether a mattress has any “weak links” that can affect its useful life. This is especially important with the comfort layers of a mattress which are usually the first to soften and break down which leads to the gradual (or sometimes rapid) loss of the comfort and support of the mattress.

There are many manufacturers around the country including some of the Restonic licensees that will provide all of this information to the retailers that sell their mattresses and it’s important that the retailer provides this information to their customers that want to make more informed decisions about the mattresses they are buying and want to make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses.

If your retailer calls the factory and provides you with the layers in the mattress but doesn’t have the knowledge to be able to “translate” them for you … if you list them here I’d certainly to share my thoughts about the Restonic you are considering and help you identify if there are any “weak links” in the mattress.

When you are heavy it’s especially important to make sure that the upper layers of your mattress uses durable materials and that there is no more than “about an inch or so” of questionable or lower quality materials in the comfort layers or the quilting layers of the mattress. you can also read more about some of the factors that can affect the useful life of a mattress in post #4 here.

You can read more about latex and allergies in post #2 here from earlier today and the other posts it links to (today seems to be the day for latex allergy questions :))

There are tests available that can determine if you are allergic to latex proteins (Type 1 latex allergies which are very rare but more serious) or any of the chemicals or substances that are used to make latex foam (Type IV allergies which are skin contact allergies and not really an issue with mattresses because there is no contact with the latex).

Phoenix

Thank you very much! I appreciate the assistance.

The Restonic Elevate mattresses are built around a pre-compressed 2 lb high density foam core. The firmest mattress has two inches of 34 ILD latex foam on top of that, and the “cushion firm” mattress (which I prefer) has two inches of 34 ILD and two inches of 28 ILD latex foam.

I’m not sure what that translates to, in terms of long-term durability. I’d be most grateful for any advice you may have.

Hi Djehuty,

The known layers are …

2" 28 ILD (likely blended Talalay)
2" 34 ILD (likely blended Talalay)
?" of 2 lb polyfoam

All of these are good quality materials but I would also confirm that there is no polyfoam above the top layer of latex or in the quilting and if there is that it’s no more than “about an inch or so”. If there is more than this then I would want to know the density of the polyfoam as well to make sure it’s not a “weak link” of the mattress. Some Restonic licensees add some polyfoam above the latex.

If you add up the thickness of all the layers (after finding out the thickness of the base layer of polyfoam) then all of them together should add up to the thickness of the mattress within about 1/2" or so. If there is more difference than this then there may be a layer missing in the description.

If there are no missing layers then the mattress certainly wouldn’t have any weak links and all the layers use good quality and durable materials.

Phoenix

That’s very good to hear. And that’s good advice as well – I’ll check to make sure there’s nothing missing from this description before buying.

Thank you very much!

I have received some updated information which once again has me unsure of which mattress to purchase. It seems the salesperson who gave me the specifications asked the manufacturer about the wrong mattress. So, with the correct information, these are my choices:

Basic - firm HD polyfoam core, 2" 34 ILD latex, $1500.

Cushion Firm - soft HD polyfoam core, 2" 28 ILD latex, 2" 18 ILD latex, $2000.

“Pure Firm” - firm HD polyfoam core, 2" 34 ILD latex, 2" 28 ILD latex, $2500.

The middle option was the most comfortable when I was lying on my back, but the third (and most expensive) would probably be best for sleeping on my side and stomach, which I tend to do in spite of all efforts to the contrary. I had been planning to purchase the “cushion firm” mattress, but now I’m rather concerned about the softer core and latex layers. Am I right in thinking that those will be more likely to break down over time, given that I’ll be putting a lot of weight on them?

I also have a couple of related questions, if you have the time. First, are there better mattress options than these for someone who is tall, overweight, and has a bad back? I’ve tried testing temperfoam mattresses, but they make my back pain worse due to the pressure against the lumbar area. And nowadays I can’t seem to find any mattresses that don’t incorporate at least some temperfoam, except for these latex models.

This leads to my second question: is it true that I should expect to spend some time acclimating to proper alignment of my spine, and if so, how do I evaluate a mattress? For a long time I slept on a series of futons, because every attempt at finding a traditional mattress ended in severe back pain. But that has ceased to be an option, and I’m now camping out in a recliner while I try to find a mattress. My back is NOT well aligned, I’m the first to admit that, but this period of acclimatization works so well in favor of the mattress store that I’m having difficulty believing it. After all, if I spend a month or so getting used to the mattress, and it’s still uncomfortable, they win.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Djehuty,

ILD is a “comfort spec” and wouldn’t be an issue in my choice or in terms of durability.

While its true that softness is a secondary factor in the durability of all foams (including latex) … the suitability of a mattress and the layering is much more important and latex is a durable material in any softness/firmness level compared to other types of foam and there would be little point to choosing a firmer mattress for the sake of any gains in durability if you can’t sleep well on it because it’s too firm.

I also don’t know the specifics of the rest of the mattresses you listed because you only included the top layers of latex and the rest of the mattress would make a difference as well. If your second and third choice has the same thickness and type of materials besides just the top 4" of latex then I don’t know why they would have a different price.

If you could include all the materials and specs of each mattress from top to bottom it would be helpful in terms of helping you identify any potential weak links in any of these mattresses.

The suitability of a mattress is not an issue of the materials but of the design of the mattress and how suitable it is in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). There are two basic needs in a mattress which is to keep your spine in neutral alignment in all your sleeping positions and to relieve pressure and this is true for anyone regardless of any back issues they may have. Beyond this you are dealing with preferences that you can also include in your testing or with knowing the quality and durability of the materials (which you can’t feel in testing). Only your own testing and experience can answer which mattress design is best for YOUR back, body regardless of how well it may work for anyone else. There is no “one size fits all” solution in a mattress for back issues either in terms of material or in terms of design. There is more about this in post #2 here and in post #4 here about your “perfect” mattress.

There are 3 main types of foam used in mattresses. These are polyfoam, memory foam, and latex. Tempurfoam is a specific brand of memory foam used by Tempurpedic and there are many other memory foam manufacturers that use other types of memory foam or gel memory foam in their mattresses and there are also many mattresses that don’t use memory foam at all in any of the layers (using either latex or polyfoam). The key with any of these is to make sure the specific design works well for you in terms of PPP and that no matter what type of foam or other materials or components it uses that it’s high quality and durable so the feel and performance of the mattress is more likely to last for many years without the loss of comfort and support that comes from the early breakdown or softening of lower quality materials.

When you purchase a new mattress there will be an initial break in period where that materials soften and lose any “false loft or firmness”, the materials settle, and the cover also stretches and loosens to some degree. Most of the mattresses you test in a showroom will already be broken in from people testing them but you can always ask if they are new or have been on the floor for some time. If the floor model is new I would “expect” that it will be slightly softer when it’s broken in. If its already broken in then I would expect that the mattress you receive may feel a little firmer for the first 30 - 90 days or so (usually less than 30) but will end up being the same as the floor model.

In addition to this … it will also take some time for your body to adapt to a new sleeping system and “unlearn” the sleeping habits that have developed over the course of years of sleeping on a different type of mattress. If you have done some good and “objective” testing in the store using the guidelines and confirmed that a mattress is suitable for you in terms of PPP then there will usually only be some temporary discomfort if it even happens at all (some people don’t go through any adjustment period at all and are happy with their choice from the first day). If your sleeping posture on the mattress is good you will be adapting to good posture and alignment in other words but it may take a little time for your body to get used to better alignment. This is much like when you have an illness and sometimes symptoms can get a little worse when they’re treated before they get better as part of the natural process of healing.

If for any reason you are uncertain about your choice then the return or exchange policy may be an important factor in the “value” of your mattress purchase and your personal value equation. If several choices appear to be “equal” in terms of PPP then I would tend to err on the side of firmness because it’s always easier to fine tune a mattress that is too firm using various types of mattress pads or a topper than it is to make a mattress that is too soft any firmer because this would involve removing and replacing individual foam layers. Good testing will usually be “close enough” that only fine tuning and minor changes that don’t involve the mattress are necessary. There are also many local manufacturers that can replace an individual layer in a mattress and some component mattress designs that have a zip cover have the ability to re-arrange or exchange individual layers as well but without one of these options or making a choice that was “close enough” based on your testing you would be dependent on exchanging a complete mattress or returning it for a refund (if either of these are options with the retailer or manufacturer you are dealing with) if you make a choice that is less than your ideal.

The key is always your own confidence in the “accuracy” of your testing because in the end nobody else can feel what you feel or predict with absolute certainty how well a mattress will work for you more accurately than your own personal experience either in testing a mattress or sleeping on it after a purchase.

Phoenix

According to the salespeople, and through them according to their contact at the manufacturer, those are all the layers. The differences are only in the soft vs firm polyfoam core (both 2 lb. high density), and the choice of latex layers. The only other component of the mattress that I’ve been able to discover is the gel-infused quilted cover, and all of them have that. I agree that $500 jumps in price seem to be a bit much for an additional layer of latex, or for slightly different ILD-numbered latex layers, but it may simply be a matter of what the traffic will bear. Or does this make this mattress line seem suspect to you? And if so, what would you suggest?

Thank you, that is extremely helpful information. I had wondered about a breaking-in period. These mattresses are very new. I don’t think they’ve been on the floor for more than a month or two, and they certainly haven’t had the equivalent of a month or two of someone sleeping on them yet.

This has all been extremely helpful, and I can’t thank you enough.

Hi Djehuty,

As far as I know the covers are Outlast which has a phase change gel in the fabric which will add one more component to temperature regulation. If there was a gel foam quilted to the cover then I would want to know the thickness and if it was over around an inch or so then I would also want to know the density but I don’t believe that’s the case here.

I would confirm that the more costly mattress was the same total height just to make sure that there isn’t a missing layer in the description because I can see no reason why a mattress that has the same materials in the same layer thicknesses has a $500 difference if the only difference is the ILD of the latex. That just makes no sense to me.

If you are tall and heavy I would probably be leaning to slightly firmer over slightly softer and a little more latex rather than a little less but that would also mean the mattress that is $500 more so I would make some careful value comparisons with mattresses that are similar and use that as a tool for “making an offer” (you can read more here about “negotiating” in post #6 here). I’m not sure which size you are looking at (which affects cost of course) but an example is this mattress which uses 6" of latex on top of 7" of 2.17 lb polyfoam and has wool in the quilting and in king size is about the same as the Restonic with 2" of latex and less than the other two options you are looking at. This would give you some negotiating “ammunition”.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: brooklynbedding.com/latex-mattresses/14-inch-aloe-latex-mattress

Phoenix

Thank you – I wish I could negotiate, but they’ve made it clear that they can’t or won’t. They tell me that the price is set by the manufacturer, and is the minimum they’re allowed to charge, and that selling for less would mean they lose the entire line.

The “ammunition” you provided raises another question, that of buying online. I see that Brooklyn Bedding, along with others, has a very good warranty and even a comfort exchange program. But how can one be certain that a given mattress will work, if it’s only available online? Is it possible to generalize, given a particular ILD rating?

Hi Djehuty,

The only way that anyone can be “certain” that a mattress is suitable for them in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) is through their own experience in either testing a mattress or in their own sleeping experience. Beyond this you would be dependent on more detailed conversations on the phone with online manufacturers and retailers where you could provide them with enough information about your testing and your body type, sleeping positions, and preferences that they could help you make a choice of which of their mattresses have the best odds of working well for you. In this case the ability to re-arrange or exchange layers or any exchange or return policies may become more important in case you make a choice that is less than ideal in spite of your own “best efforts” and that of the manufacturer or retailer you are dealing with. There is more about this in post #2 here.

It’s certainly possible for a good manufacturer to use your local testing experiences on similar mattresses as part of the information that they can take into account in your conversations with them (if you can probide them with the specifics) but unless you have tested a mattress locally that is exactly the same as one they offer then there is some “translation” and “best judgement” involved and you will be going by “averages” that you would still need to confirm with your own sleeping experiences. Averages can work well for most people who are in an “average” range but if you are one of the minority who are outside the averages then you would be dependent on the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return it.

Phoenix

I’m providing this information in case anyone finds this thread and might find this useful. I finally have more precise information about these mattresses. In the Elevate line, there are several varieties. All are based on 2 lb HD polyfoam, and all are about the same thickness overall, with the polyfoam being decreased in thickness to make room for additional layers of latex. Each layer of latex is 1.5" thick. The versions are:

Ambience - one layer of 34 ILD latex, firm foam core.

Harmony - one layer of 18 ILD on top of one layer of 28 ILD, soft foam core.

Pure Plush - two layers of 18 ILD on top of two layers of 28 ILD, soft foam core.

Pure Firm - two layers of 28 ILD on top of two layers of 34 ILD, firm foam core.

This explains the increase in price. Each step up doubles the amount of latex used.

Now all I have to decide is whether it would be better to go with a mattress I can test, but which has a comparatively poor return policy, or take a chance on one I cannot test but which would be inexpensive to adjust or return.

Thank you again for all your excellent advice, Phoenix!

Hi Djehuty,

Thanks for finding out and listing all the specs … I appreciate it and I know that others that are looking at some of these mattresses will as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi, 1st time posting here at MU. I am leaning toward the best mattress ever Brooklyn bedding but torn between soft and medium. Thanks to Phoenix’s list of retailers I found The Mattress Store on Kent island (MD) who carries the Restonic elevate series of latex and latex hybrids. This will be my 1st experience with any mattress other than innerspring and I really would feel better by having an idea of how it feels before going ahead with my Brooklyn bedding purchase. A chat with Keaton at Brooklyn bedding told me the soft ILD was 19 and the medium is a 28 ILD. In order to help me choose between soft and medium I decided to go lay on the Restonic latex mattresses and try to get an idea for which firmness would be best for me. No and its not a complete apples to apples comparison but just to give me an idea for softness. I like the Pure and the Harmony models which are both described as plush. I asked for the specs so I could compare them to what I know of the Brooklyn bedding soft and medium ILDs. I was given a sheet listing the Pure model as having 2 inches of soft lift foam in a 24 over another 2 inches more of a soft lift foam in a 36 and this was over top of six inches of a 28 “soy” what I was told is an HD poly. This Pure mattress is listed at a total height of 12 inches . The Restonic Harmony model is 2 inches of soft lift foam in a 19 -24 over 6 inches of the 28 “soy” true comfort core. The harmony is listed at a total of 11 inches Both the Pure and the Harmony are covered with a gel infused quilt foam but they did not offer the specs on that as to the heights of that foam cover. I had specifically asked if the true comfort core was a 2.0 HD foam like the Brooklyn bedding. The rep told me that while there’s a wealth of information on mattress underground some of it is a little outdated and that now they refer to the core as being measured by something called soy" instead of a specific density and their soy is 28 in both models . I’m not sure what they’re talking about and while those mattresses were very comfortable I came away just more confused than ever as to soft or medium being my best bet on the Brooklyn bedding. To me it seems like a big difference in the ILD of a 19 and the ILD of a 28 which is the difference between soft and medium of the best mattress ever. My boyfriend and I are both side sleepers he is about 225 and I am 1:45 we both have hip and back pain and just want to be sure were making the right choice. I wasn’t sure where to actually post this if it should be in the Brooklyn thread or this thread but I figured since the rep told me about this soy in the core of Restonic mattress that maybe it would be best in this thread here. Please feel free to put it in the most appropriate place. Thank you so much for the site it’s really helped me a lot in becoming educated and and helping to alleviate my nerves about making an online purchase of a mattress.

Hi lexibright,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Your rep is more than a little bit confused if he/she doesn’t understand that “soy” isn’t a measure of density or firmness at all. Some types of polyfoam and memory foam have replaced a small percentage of the petrochemical polyols that are used to make polyfoam and memory foam with a soy based derivative but this has nothing to do with the firmness or the density of the foam (see post #2 here). So called “soy foam” comes in many different densities and firmness levels and is also measured for firmness in ILD/IFD just like regular polyfoam.

Every layer and component in a mattress will have an effect on the feel and performance of every other layer and component above and below it and ILD is only one of several variables or “specs” that will determine how soft or firm an individual layer or a mattress “as a whole” will feel to different people (see post #4 here). In addition to this the ILD of different materials or different types and blends of latex also aren’t always directly comparable to each other (see post #6 here) so using the ILD of a particular layer or combination of layers as a reliable indication of how any mattress will “feel” or how firm will feel to you compared to another mattress with a completely different design can be more misleading than helpful . For example a top layer that is only 1" thick can feel completely different from another layer that is 2" thick if the rest of the materials and components are the same. It would be much more useful and you would be better off just to “rate” a mattress as either soft, medium, or firm and decide whether you tend to prefer or do better on softer, medium, or firmer mattress in more general terms based on how they feel to you relative to other mattresses you have tried than trying to analyze how a mattress compares to another one based on complex combinations of specifications.

Unless you have a great deal of knowledge and experience with different types of mattress materials and specs and different layering combinations and how they combine together and can translate them into your own “real life” experience that can be unique to you (which would only be a very small percentage of people) … I would tend to avoid using individual specs such as layer thicknesses or ILD numbers or other complex combinations of information or specifications to try and predict how a mattress will feel or perform for you or how it will compare to another mattress and focus more on your own actual testing and/or personal experience. While knowing the specs that can affect the quality and durability of the layers and components in a mattress is always important … when you try and choose or compare a mattress based on complex combinations of “comfort” specs that you may not fully understand then the most common outcome can be information overload and “paralysis by analysis”.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (which would include Brooklyn Bedding) and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Trying to compare two mattresses with completely different designs, materials, and specs outside of very general “soft/medium/firm” comparisons will usually end up becoming more of an exercise in frustration than a reliable way to help you decide on the firmness level of a completely different mattress.

Phoenix

Yes Phoenix I agree with everything you said, I did in fact have a detailed chat with the rep over at Brooklyn bedding and he did recommend medium. I knew it was not apples to apples at my local mattress store just trying to get a feel for how latex feels as I know it is a big difference from anything I am used to. Now I can contact Brooklyn bedding again and give them the models of Restonic that I tested and like and we can go from there. As I do know that I’m going to be purchasing a bed from Brooklyn.

I thought maybe the rep was referring to soy as the plant based material but she said it was a “new way” of measuring density. As you said I really don’t think she knew what she was talking about. Thanks so much for your input.

Hi lexibright,

They may not be familiar with the specific Restonic models you have tried or know how soft or firm they feel to you but if you know you like the “feel” of latex in general (and “feel” is different from the firmness level of a material) and you have a general sense of whether you tend to do better on or prefer softer, medium, or firmer mattresses then this information can certainly be helpful. The medium would be the normal “default” that will be a reasonable match for the largest percentage of people.

I agree that they appear to be completely misinformed if they are claiming that there is some “new way” of measuring density. In North America the density of polyfoam and memory foam is generally expressed as the weight in lbs of 1 cubic ft of a foam material and is the same as it has always has been. In Europe it is generally expressed as the weight in kilograms of a cubic meter of a foam material (and this is also commonly used for latex density in North America as well).

Phoenix