Restonic Latex question

Has anyone had any experience with the Restonic brand of latex mattresses? I was initially interested in there brand and they offer a 25 year non-pro rated warranty which seems stronger than anyone else. However, when I began searching customer feedback it seemed all to easy to find complaint after complaint. I realize people can tend to complain more than praise at times but when I did a similar search for another brand, Bed In A Box it seemed I couldn’t find nearly as many complaints. BIAB offers a more industry standard 10 year non pro rated warranty.

Hi Wrewster,

The problem with “brand shopping” is that you aren’t buying the brand … you are buying a specific mattress … and most manufacturers make a wide range of mattresses that can vary from very low quality that in some cases may only last you for weeks or months to much more premium mattresses that use higher quality and more durable materials that will have a much longer useable lifetime. In terms of quality and durability … a mattress is only as good as the type and quality/durability of the materials and components inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or the price of the mattress. The name of the manufacturer on the label or the price of the mattress won’t tell you anything about whether a specific mattress is suitable for you in terms of PPP or whether there are any lower quality materials or weak links in the design. There is more about the risks of brand shopping in post #5 here and post #12 here).

The most reliable way to assess the durability of a mattress or whether it has any potential weak links is to make sure that you find out the type and quality of the all the materials inside it (see this article) and there is more detailed information about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to each person in post #4 here…

Restonic is a licensee group of independent manufacturers that often make their mattresses differently in different areas of the country. Many of the licensees are family owned private manufacturers that are fully transparent and others are less transparent about the materials they use. They make some good quality and value mattresses but a brand name makes little difference to me because a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it. I list them as a good option or “possibility” in many of the forum lists because depending on the prices and service of the retailer and the specifics of the mattress they can be a “better value” choice and you have higher odds of being able to find out the specifics of what is in the mattress than many other larger manufacturers in the top 15 (see this article) which means you would be able to identify any weak links in a mattress make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses. While latex itself is among the most durable materials in the industry … I would make sure that you can find out the specifics of all the materials in any mattress you are considering because if a particular mattress has more than “about an inch or so” of lower quality/density materials such as low density polyfoam above the latex then there would be a weak link in the mattress in terms of durability no matter how much latex may be in the mattress.

You can see my comments about Bedinabox in post #2 here. I would be very cautious here because they use 3 lb memory foam which is a lower quality and less durable material than I would suggest in this budget range.

Mattress warranties only cover defects in the materials and they don’t cover the gradual (or more rapid in the case of lower quality comfort layers) loss of comfort and support that comes from foam softening that is the main reason that most people will need to replace their mattress. In other words warranties have little to do with the durability or useful life of a mattress or when you may need to replace it and longer warranties are more about marketing than anything else. If there is an actual defect in the material it will usually show up early in the life of the mattress but knowing the quality and durability of the materials in your mattress are a much more reliable way to assess the durability and useful life of a mattress than the length of a warranty. There is more about mattress warranties in post #174 here.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, I spoke with my local Restonic store and found a mattress which feels very comfortable for the 20 minutes we were on it anyways. I have the info. they provided me listed here and wanted to know your thoughts other than what they listed here doesn’t mention exactly what % of the Latex is natural and Talalay and Dunlop:

“For the Vitality Pure Plush, there are 2 separate layers of latex, plus a poly core. The poly core has a 28 ILD, and directly on top of that is a layer of latex with a 26 ILD, and on top of that the mattress is finished with a 19ILD layer of latex. My sales rep from Restonic also gave me the okay to give you his cell phone number. I explained some concerns you had and he is more than happy to talk with you about Restonic’s products and give you some stories and concerns he has about foam mattresses with zippers.”

***Phoenix, in your experience are there many problems that you are aware of with mattresses with zippers? I mentioned to the Restonic sales person that I liked the Spindle and Reverie brands because you can gain easy access to the inside components. I’m also working on getting more info. like exactly how many inches of latex each layer is and etc, the complete construction would be helpful.

Hi Wrewster,

Unfortunately the specs you provided are incomplete so it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about this mattress. If you can provide all the information listed here then I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality or durability of the of the materials or the mattress as a whole.

You can see my comments about mattresses with loose layers and a zip cover vs a finished mattress that has glued layers in post #2 here and the posts it links to.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, I just received more info on the Restonic Vitality Plush mattress.

“The poly core is 6”, with 2" of super soft hd foam on top of the core and then 4" of latex, 2" of which are 26ild and 2" are 19ild. Overall a 12" mattress. It would be considered a hybrid, essentially half is polyurethane and the other half is the super soft hd foam and latex. The full latex option would be the serenity which has the latex core. Either one has a 25 year warranty."

Phoenix you couldn’t be so right to ask what’s inside of the matress because until now I didn’t have a clue this was even a “hybrid”. They had me believing this was a latex mattress, not just some parts of it. It does feel great laying on it for the 20 minutes I was there but the durability of the PU core won’t hold up nearly as good as a full latex mattress correct? This wasn’t inexpensive either for a hybrid, it was $1,799. for each twin XL at HL Stephens our local dealer here.

Hi Wrewster,

[quote]“The poly core is 6”, with 2" of super soft hd foam on top of the core and then 4" of latex, 2" of which are 26ild and 2" are 19ild. Overall a 12" mattress. It would be considered a hybrid, essentially half is polyurethane and the other half is the super soft hd foam and latex. The full latex option would be the serenity which has the latex core. Either one has a 25 year warranty."

Phoenix you couldn’t be so right to ask what’s inside of the matress because until now I didn’t have a clue this was even a “hybrid”. They had me believing this was a latex mattress, not just some parts of it. It does feel great laying on it for the 20 minutes I was there but the durability of the PU core won’t hold up nearly as good as a full latex mattress correct? This wasn’t inexpensive either for a hybrid, it was $1,799. for each twin XL at HL Stephens our local dealer here. [/quote]

The weakest link of a mattress is generally in the upper comfort layers which are more subject to the constant compression forces that come from sleeping and not the deeper support core in the mattress (see the foam quality guidelines here).

Restonic is a licensee group of private factories that often make their mattresses differently in different areas of the country but in some areas the Restonic latex mattresses or latex hybrids commonly use two or more inches of lower density polyfoam above the latex in the quilting layer which is more than the guideline of “about an inch or so” that I would normally suggest and would be a potential weak link in the mattress in terms of durability.

If there is 2" of polyfoam in the top layers of a mattress I would want to know the density to confirm that it was at least 1.8 lb density or higher so that it wouldn’t be a weak link in the mattress in terms of foam softening and breakdown or sagging much too quickly relative to the price you paid.

While the support core is not as big a factor in the durability of a mattress when there are thicker layers of high quality and durable materials above it that would absorb most of the compression forces that come from sleeping … I would still want to know the density of the deeper polyfoam layers as well so you can make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses. Restonic often uses uses two different densities of polyfoam in their support layers and in these budget ranges or for someone that was heavier and more likely to compress the deeper support layers I would want to know that they were at least 1.8 lb density (or at least the upper half of the support core was 1.8 lb density). For those who aren’t in higher weight ranges or in the case of lower budget mattresses where there needs to be some tradeoffs between durability and price then 1.5 lb density would also be suitable for a base layer as well as long as someone wasn’t in a higher weight range that would compress the deeper layers more than lighter body types.

There is also more about polyfoam/latex hybrids vs all latex mattresses in post #2 here.

There are some “all latex” mattresses that are in a similar budget range to the latex/polyfoam hybrid you are looking at and there are some latex/polyfoam hybrids that would be significantly less…

Phoenix

Yes there are much better choices it seems for the money and your info. has been invaluable. My local dealer is going to check into there Restonic 100% mattress called the Serenity and they claim to be the only dealer in NYS that offers this one. I’ll see what exactly is in this mattress.

The Restonic Serenity full Latex mattress was $4,200. plus tax for a split king. It doesn’t have a zipper to have easy access to switch out the comfort layer and just didn’t seem to have the same value as the many other mattresses available online. Restonic says they don’t believe in the customer handling the latex due to the oil on there fingers and it can cause the latex to break down prematurely. I have an easy answer to rectify this (if it is a genuine concern). Wear latex gloves when handling the latex, lol. I’m sure the Restonic mattress is very nice actually, it felt comfortable on the floor and we tested it for well over 20-30 minutes. It just didn’t seem to have nearly as much value as the Plushbeds Botanical 100% natural latex mattress we decided to go with for just under $3,000 and there is no sales tax.