Restonic latex vs Dormeo octaspring latex

I recently found a restonic mattress I liked - Barbados. It’s kind of firm but very comfortable. Today I found another store that carries Octaspring latex mattresses (forget exact name). Which is better?? Reviews scarce for both.

Both feel great but I’m a little scared to try them as I just tried a memory foam mattress that was AWFUL and not supportive. Latex is similar without sinking feeling. I’m wondering if I should try the latex or go back to a traditional mattress etc.

I have major back issues and need the best possible support. I sleep on back & side. Thanks for your input!!

Hi Cantstandmattressshopping,

Reviews wouldn’t tell you anything about which one is “better” or more suitable for you or which one would be more durable for you (see post #13 here) so a lack of reviews (or hundreds of reviews on the other end of the scale) wouldn’t give you any particularly relevant information anyway.

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

You can see my comments about the Dormeo Octaspring mattresses in post #2 here and the posts it links to. A forum search on Dormeo or on Octaspring (you can just click the links) will bring up more information and feedback about them as well. I would make some careful value comparisons because they are certainly in a higher budget range than many other mattresses that use similar quality materials and I would make sure that you can justify the higher cost relative to other similar mattresses based on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. If you can provide the specifics of the layers in the mattress (see this article) I’d also be happy to make some comments about the quality of the materials or help you identify any weak links in the mattress.

The same would be the case with the Restonic and if you can provide the information about the layers inside the mattress I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality of the materials inside this mattress as well.

If a retailer or manufacturer can’t (or won’t) provide you with the information you need to make an informed choice about the quality and durability of the materials inside them then I would pass the mattress by.

Without knowing the specifics of what is inside a mattress you are considering it’s not really possible to make any meaningful comments about the quality of the materials in either one and outside of how suitable a mattress is in terms of PPP (which careful and objective testing using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post will tell you) … a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it.

Phoenix

Thank you for the reply. I have already read your comments that you mentioned. I guess I thought you already knew about both and could direct me in one direction or the other. They seem fairly comparable - both tala lay etc. If you don’t recommend one brand over the other that’s ok … I just wanted to ask.

Hi Cantstandmattressshopping,

Even if the specs for a mattress are listed in an earlier post on the forum it’s always a good idea to confirm them because manufacturers can change the materials they use inside their mattresses. Dormeo recently came out with their mattresses that use Talalay latex in the top 2" of the mattress (the rest of the mattress is either memory foam or polyfoam) but they never did provide the other specs for these when I asked for them in this post. If the densities of the other “non latex” layers are in the same range as the specs listed here then there would be no weak links in the mattress but I would want to confirm this so you aren’t going by what may be outdated information.

Restonic is a licensee brand and each licensee can make their mattresses differently in different areas so once again it’s always important to make sure you know the specs of the specific mattress you are considering. A search online shows some specs for the Barbados are listed here. They list about 2" of polyfoam on top of 4" of latex on top of a 5.75" polyfoam core on top of a 1" polyfoam base layer (assuming I’ve listed the order of the layers correctly) so this would be a very different mattress from the Octaspring. The top 2" would be polyfoam (the top 2" in the Octaspring are latex) so the surface feel would be different. The layers under the top 2" in the Restonic are latex and in the Octaspring are memory foam and the deeper layers in both are polyfoam (although the Octaspring uses their foam “springs” rather than a solid layer). If the Barbados is about 13" thick then you would know that all the layers are listed. If these specs are correct and are the same as the Barbados you are considering I would want to know the density of the top 2" of polyfoam in the quilting because it could be “on the edge” of being a weak link in the mattress (see the guidelines here).

I never recommend specific mattresses or specific brands or manufacturers because there is no way to know whether any mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP based on specs (either yours or a mattress) and I also don’t know the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you and most manufacturers make a range of higher and lower quality mattresses. My goal is always to help with “how” to choose, to act as a “fact check”, and to help identify any potential weak links in a mattress you are considering so that you will end up with a final choice between mattresses that have no obvious weak links and are a choice between “good and good”.

In essence a mattress purchase comes down to testing for suitability (or making sure you are comfortable with any exchange or return policies if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that it’s a suitable choice for you), checking for durability (which is the part I can help with), and comparing for value based on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

I wish I knew the specs of every mattress in the industry but unfortunately there are many mattresses where the specs aren’t easily available (the majority of mattresses) and even when they are the specs and mattress models can change from year to year, model to model, and even area to area, so it would be impossible for any one person could keep up with in a constantly changing market. This is why it’s always important that every consumer makes checking for the quality of the materials in any mattress they are considering a “normal” part of a mattress purchase so that retailers and manufacturers that don’t provide this information to their customers start to lose sales until they realize that forcing their customers to make a “blind purchase” will cost them sales that are going to other manufacturers and retailers that are more transparent than they are. The more consumers don’t insist on this “piece of the puzzle” the less likely that retailers or manufacturers will make it important to provide them … and the more consumers as a whole are likely to experience buyers remorse with their mattress purchases.

There are enough manufacturers and retailers that are fully transparent about the quality/durability of the materials that are inside their mattresses that there is little reason for a consumer to make a blind purchase and every reason in the world to “reward” the manufacturers that do so and make it possible for their customers can make meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

Phoenix