Restonic Latex

I have been looking at Restonic mattresses, mainly the model named Belize or Interlude. They are $2500, which is a bit steep for me, but what bothers me most is that the retailer doesn’t allow exchanges. It has a 6" latex core, with another couple of latex layers as the comfort layers - No foam or memory foam, which I USED to like. (I am a 130 lb person with back pain, and my present 9 yr old Strobel memory foam now feels like it needs to be replaced.) I loved the feel of this Restonic mattress, and am hopeful that it may alleviate my pain, but am looking for another point of sale. Any ideas?

Hi Nuclearmomb,

While price is certainly one part of the value of a mattress purchase … I would tend to choose a mattresses based on it’s “value” rather than on the price alone. There is more information about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase to “fine tune” a mattress or the exchange/return options that are available to you).

Outside of PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing all the specifics of its design and construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to confirm that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

The Restonic mattresses you are looking at may contain at least some polyfoam (you can check the law tag to confirm this) which could be a weak link in the mattress. If you can find out all the information listed in this article and post it on the forum then I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials and the mattress “as a whole” and let you know if there are any obvious weak links in the design in terms of durability.

There isn’t a “formula” that can be used to assess or “calculate” value because there are so many different variables and criteria involved that are more or less important to different people that may be very different from someone else and because the “value” of a mattress purchase is always relative to the other finalists you are considering or to the other mattresses that are available to you in the area or online.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

The mattress shopping tutorial also includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) that compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency and many of them also make latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex that have a range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that that may also be well worth considering or that you can use as a reference point for “value”.

Phoenix

I just spoke with a knowledgeable salesman, who told me this mattress is made of:
6’ talalay core
1"" “soft poly foam” (- was not able to tell me the density)
4" talalay latex
1" gel-infused quilting foam.

What do you think?

Hi, Phoenix. See my addendum below

Hi Nuclearmomb,

There was no attachment or “addendum” in your last post.

The quality/durability guidelines here suggest “no more than about an inch or so of lower quality or unknown materials in the upper layers of your mattress”. The quilting foam is only an inch and then there is 4" or Talalay latex underneath this which is a high quality and durable material that would absorb most of the compression forces from sleeping on the mattress so the additional inch of “unknown density” polyfoam under the latex wouldn’t normally be a significant issue or a “weak link” for most people that are in more average or lower weight ranges (lower 200’s or less) such as yourself.

While I would normally want to know the density of the polyfoam layer underneath the latex because in combination with the quilting layers the “unknown density” materials would add up to 2" … in your case with your lower weight it wouldn’t be as important because the layer is deeper in the mattress and would be less subject to compression so assuming that the mattress you are looking at is 12" thick (so you know there are no missing layers in the information they provided) and if you are confident that it’s a good “match” for you in terms of PPP and it compares well with your other finalists based on all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course) then it would certainly be worth considering.

Phoenix

Thank you! I live in the 14534 zip code area, and now every single time I inquire about any Restonics, the “Rep” seems to know just who was shopping that day! One of the salespeople even knows who I am on this site! Geez! If only they would just post what was in those two models, then it would be so simple!

Hi Nuclearmomb,

It’s good to hear that they are aware of the site but unfortunately it also goes to show just how few people actually know the importance of finding out the quality and durability of the materials in a mattress they purchase. Every “educated and informed” consumer should be asking the questions that you are asking.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Rochester, NY area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #11 here.

Phoenix